Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Electronic Parking Brake & Hill Start Assist - 2013 TD4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
shinymotor

United Kingdom 

Like Jimski my 2013 TD4 manual definitely has HSA (without HDC enabled) - it just doesn't work reliably. When it holds it holds firm for 3 secs as mentioned. Other times it just rolls back (same hill). I think the three seconds is because sometimes you do want to roll - e.g. back down my drive - and HSA still operates in neutral (manual). Freelander 2 2013 TD4 HSE

Post #195397 17th Aug 2013 7:04 pm
Jimski

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

You have to be positive with the brake, i.e hold it on, stopped, for a period. Mines always faultless then Thumbs Up

As you say, you may want to roll forward for whatever reason, but if you keep your foot on the brake, then try, it's on! 2013 FL2 - Black Edition Auto
2013 FL2 - Black Edition Manual GONE!
Founder of the 'Microscopic LR Spoiler Badge Club'
Destroyer of chrome rears.....

Post #195398 17th Aug 2013 7:06 pm
j77

Scotland 

Ok had a play around, mines got it never noticed it before I must be used to it as it was on the Evoque.

I never stop for long periods with my foot on the brake, I just stop then use clutch control, perhaps that's why I've never noticed it work. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #195407 17th Aug 2013 8:32 pm
EYorkshire

Excellent, it's not advertised on their site specs but happy to be wrong, I will also be a proud owner of a MY13 before my warranty runs out and it's good to know it has HSA Thumbs Up

Post #195421 17th Aug 2013 11:02 pm
shinymotor

United Kingdom 

As an update and with reference to my original post at the start of this thread - It seems my one issue was in fact two. One resolved. One not - but explained.

After inspection by the dealer they said they could not find a problem and vehicle is working as designed. Most likely they had not been able to reproduce the intermittent roll-back issue on a steep slope (occurred randomly) and the roll-back on gentle slopes (that occurs every time) was determined to be working as designed (bad design in my opinion). However, the intermittent issue of Hill Start Assist not working and immediately rolling back on steep slopes seemed to be fixed and has not reoccurred. I can only imagine that a connector was not properly mated and during their investigation a better connection was made without them being aware (similar to an issue I had with front demister where only one side would clear - connector was not properly attached).

I've now returned from my Experience Day at the West Country center (which we enjoyed). While we drove an auto FL2, our instructor was very knowledgeable and fully understood the issue I described on my manual as described in my original post (unlike anyone from the dealer or cust care). He said HSA is exactly the same on the auto as on the manual - but designed for the auto where the auto transmission will hold the vehicle on gentle slopes but HSA maintains brakes for 3 seconds on steeper slopes. Unfortunately for the manual - it just rolls back on the gentle slopes. His recommendation was to drive differently to how most people will have been taught:

He recommended finding the biting point by lifting the clutch whilst holding the brake. His view was that the engine is designed to hold the vehicle whilst slipping the clutch on reasonable slopes without additional throttle input. He want further to recommend controlling low maneuvering speed by adjusting the foot brake pressure with the clutch fully engaged rather than by using throttle and clutch. This driving style will take some getting used to but it seems to solve my roll-back problem.

I still think it is a design issue. I'm yet to see what happens when I am soon to tow a 1,600kg load and whether I can hold the veh on the clutch alone without additional throttle.

Interesting - FL2 needed a reboot during the experience day when we got stuck on diagonally opposite wheels and all computer controlled traction systems failed. Apparently the reboot fixed it but we had then switched to an Evoque. Freelander 2 2013 TD4 HSE

Post #219410 13th Mar 2014 4:30 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

My MINI has hill start assist and works brilliantly, but it will only hold it for approx 2 secs before it releases, it wont hold forever until you start to move forwards thats how its designed.

Post #219431 13th Mar 2014 7:27 pm
shinymotor

United Kingdom 

@Monza. That's not the issue. The 3 second hold time is fine on a steeper slope. The zero second hold time on a gentle slope is what I have been taking issue with (on a TD4 manual transmission). Freelander 2 2013 TD4 HSE

Post #219436 13th Mar 2014 7:54 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Oh I see, then maybe its to do with the body control module, the thing that tells the computer the attitude of the car and its position maybe its not set sensitive enough to detect a very slight slope, the MINI, ok its not a FL2 I know but it will hold on anything even the slightest incline?

Post #219439 13th Mar 2014 8:09 pm
shinymotor

United Kingdom 

yes, LR should learn from your MINI and every other car I've driven with hill start assist. Freelander 2 2013 TD4 HSE

Post #219479 13th Mar 2014 11:31 pm
Lurcher

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Orkney Grey

My MY14 has def got it , as stated above firm brake pressure when stopped on slope and holds for 2 secs .

Post #219648 16th Mar 2014 10:46 am
Mr K

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I know this is an old thread but does anyone know if a FL2 '07 should have HSA?
I had a chat with an instructor on a LR Experience day and he said it does but I have never been able to get it to work.
It's a manual SE model.
Ta

Post #242334 25th Nov 2014 4:59 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

for hsa assist to work the car needs to be on a fairly steep slope and with one of the terrain settings activated, I forget which one. I tried a few times to make it work but was never very successful. too many factors and not knowing whether it will work or nor means its easier and safer just to forget it exists

LRE demonstrated it while on the factory tour but on a very steep artificial hill , not the sort of hill you normally decide to stop half way up At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #242336 25th Nov 2014 5:12 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

EPB seems to me to be an unnecessary complication and one more thing to go wrong but I assume that its a standard feature now. I understand that there have been a number of incidents (and not just with Landrovers), where the EPB has come on and bought the vehicle to a halt including some on the outside lane of a motorway. The problem for the vehicle recovery people then is how to move the vehicle which usually needs to be winched/dragged on to a recovery truck.

Keep it simple.

Post #242337 25th Nov 2014 5:16 pm
ad210358

England 

Hill Start Assist is different to EPB. HSA should somehow give you a couple seconds to go from brake to accelerator, if it works, never noticed it on the Manual one I had.
If the Recovery man knows what he's doing he should just trigger the Emergency Release, saves dragging it with the Hand Brake On.

Post #242338 25th Nov 2014 5:22 pm
Kolar

United Kingdom 

"If the Recovery man knows what he's doing he should just trigger the Emergency Release"

I watched a Police Camera Action type programme recently where they had an Evoque in just this situation on a motorway and nobody knew what to do to release it. I guess that when you are in the outside lane on a cold dark wet night with an unfamiliar vehicle and traffic piling up then no one is going to get the driver's manual out. They ended up dragging it onto a recovery truck.

Post #242339 25th Nov 2014 5:33 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>