Home > Technical > Electronic Parking Brake & Hill Start Assist - 2013 TD4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
shinymotor

United Kingdom 
Electronic Parking Brake & Hill Start Assist - 2013 TD4

Hi,

I recently took delivery of a 2013 TD4 HSE. It has an Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) and Hill Start Assist which holds the vehicle still when you pull away having stopped at a junction with the foot brake on a slope (Not talking about after first starting the engine). The Hill Start Assist feature is not described in the manual at all Rolling Eyes - but it if you have EPB it seems to me that you must have Hill Start Assist, and after checking( Exclamation ) the dealer confirmed it has it.

My problem is that is seems very intermittent. Sometimes it holds solid after releasing the foot brake brake to pull away from a momentary stop on a slope - and sometimes it rolls straight back before I can get to the throttle Mad . It's like Russian Roulette and is a major issue - not least for the car behind.

Does anyone share this issue? Dealer didn't seem up to speed on this feature but will investigate when I get an opportunity to take it in.

Thanks,
Rich. Freelander 2 2013 TD4 HSE

Post #195233 16th Aug 2013 4:29 pm
j77

Scotland 

No haven't had this on mine, if the clutch is at biting point then there will be no roll back, the steeper the hill the more gas you need for the EPB to release. Land Rovers GRC (gradient release control) only assists with hill starts, makes them smoother but won't prevent rollback. With the auto, the car will stay put until your foot is on the gas.

This is my interpretation of how the system works, I ain't clued up on vehicle mechanics but hope it helps a bit Thumbs Up 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #195239 16th Aug 2013 5:02 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Do you have an auto or manual?

Hill Start Assist will work on any hill but is more effective/noticeable the steeper the hill is. It also helps if you apply more brake pressure than usual to ensure maximum Hill Start Assist effectiveness.

If you haven't been on a 1/2 day LR Experience then I recommend you do so, they will be able to answer your questions and demonstrate the features in real life situations and tell you if yours is working as it should. If you bought your Freelander since June you should receive an invitation direct from LR, if bought before that your Dealer should have given you a voucher.

Post #195241 16th Aug 2013 5:14 pm
j77

Scotland 

Gradient release control only works when HDC (hill descent control) is activated. Nothing in the manual about hill start assist in the manual. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #195245 16th Aug 2013 5:27 pm
shinymotor

United Kingdom 

Thanks for your comments j77 and rchrdleigh.

Vehicle is a manual (TD4) - It must have Hill Start Assist otherwise there is no sensible way to pull away from a momentary stop on a slope (on road). The Elec Parking Brake is inappropriate for such use (although the dealer suggested using that before he went away and checked that it does have Hill Start Assist).

I believe Hill Start Assist is independent of HDC / GRC (HDC/GRC being more of an off-road feature). I wouldn't expect to select HDC/GRC every time I stop at a road junction (where on a vehicle with a trad handbrake you would momentarily apply the handbrake without releasing the ratchet as you switch from foot brake to find the biting point.

I have tried increasing the pressure on the foot brake when stopping on a slope but still Russian Roulette as to whether it holds (I've not had to stomp on the brake in other vehicles with auto-hold). I'll try a few more times in safe places. I'll not be happy if I roll back into someone who pulls up close behind me (and neither will they!).

I guess I'll have to take it in to be looked at.

Not received voucher for experience day from LR yet (after 6 weeks) - Probably time for me to prompt them.

Thanks. Freelander 2 2013 TD4 HSE

Post #195252 16th Aug 2013 6:03 pm
j77

Scotland 

There is a video on you tube demonstrating HSA in the Evoque, 2 seconds is all the time you have to move your foot from brake to accelerator.

Maybe worth a check from your dealer

I bought my one in May and my voucher came direct from LR at the start of July 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #195253 16th Aug 2013 6:14 pm
EYorkshire

I look forward to enlightenment as I didn't think the FL2 MY13 had 'Hillstart Assist' as in normal road use, it has the usual stuff with GRC linked into HDC and auto handbrake release but 'H/A' doesn't even show up in the spec on their site but does on the Evoque.

Post #195261 16th Aug 2013 6:52 pm
j77

Scotland 

I don't think it has either all I can find is GRC which is only active with HDC. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #195265 16th Aug 2013 7:05 pm
Andyboy929

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

I often pondered the same question mine is 2013 td4 gs manual I find if on a hill and I want first gear it seems to hold when foot is on brake, epb released let go of brake then it momentarily holds,
Also wondered if it depends what gear you want to go in ie. if you want reverse and go down backwards therefore no need for it to hold.

Post #195323 16th Aug 2013 11:15 pm
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Just had this explained and demonstrated to me on a LRE in an auto, don't know how a manual is supposed to behave.

With EPB on, just pull away and the brake will automatically release. If holding on the brake pedal then you have 3 seconds from releasing the brake pedal when the car will hold for you to accelerate, after which the car will roll. Not sure I understand the logic of that against traditional auto behaviour which holds the car, unless it's to protect some component from strain.

Post #195366 17th Aug 2013 3:56 pm
EYorkshire

SimonB wrote:
If holding on the brake pedal then you have 3 seconds from releasing the brake pedal when the car will hold for you to accelerate, after which the car will roll.

Was that bit onroad or offroad, terrain response on or off and was HDC on Question

What I believe is HillStart Assist is not a part of a FL2 for road use but would love to be proven otherwise, GRC will hold the brake in off road or extreme conditions on a steep incline as you describe as long as HDC is on and the EPB will auto release after accelerator is applied on road, or off road come to that.

Last edited by EYorkshire on 17th Aug 2013 4:21 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #195367 17th Aug 2013 4:07 pm
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Offroad with TR and HDC on, however from the way it was explained I had understood it to be a universal feature and it had been described as a hill start assist, but I couldn't say for sure whether it was unique to one mode. HDC was on to demonstrate the sense of having it enabled even when hill climbing in case of emergency, or some immediate need to descend. On or off road I still don't see why the 3 second limit is imposed.

Post #195368 17th Aug 2013 4:21 pm
EYorkshire

I don't know why the 3 second limit is there either, the electronic throttle and adequate torque could trigger the brake release.

It worries me that dealers/salesmen are confusing HSA with GRC and leading people to believe HillStart Assist is a function the FL2 has for everyday on road use whereas it doesn't exist in this car yet, unlike the Evoque.

Or am I wrong Exclamation

Post #195370 17th Aug 2013 4:29 pm
Jimski

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Mines got hill assist, comes on with a gradient, nose up or down on normal everyday driving conditions with normal terrain mode and no HDC switched on.

As stated, approx 3 secs of assist to allow transition from clutch and brake, to clutch and accelerator. Turns off sooner if needed. 2013 FL2 - Black Edition Auto
2013 FL2 - Black Edition Manual GONE!
Founder of the 'Microscopic LR Spoiler Badge Club'
Destroyer of chrome rears.....

Post #195389 17th Aug 2013 6:03 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Hill Start Assist(HSA) and Gradient Release Control (GRC) are different systems although they do much the same job.

GRC works with Hill Descent Control on slopes over 18 degrees. It holds the brakes on for about 2 1/2 seconds and then gradually releases them to allow for a smooth uphill/downhill restart. With 2013 MY GRC is most obvious if Mud & Ruts Terrain Response is selected and less obvious with Grass Gravel Snow although it is still there.

HSA works on hills and hold the brakes on for a similar period to allow smooth uphill restarts. It works on an auto and according to LR should also work on a manual as described in the Evoque You Tube video clip mentioned earlier.

Post #195390 17th Aug 2013 6:10 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>