Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Side protection tubes - Scratch Sealant/Paint???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
Side protection tubes - Scratch Sealant/Paint???

After my little outing to Tong the other week

I have noticed that the black protection tubes have done there job and come into contact with the ground.

I knew it had happened as i heard them and the tow-bar scrape the ground

So does anybody know or think of something that can be painted on to them to stop any rusting?

I don't want to spray anything as this sprays everywhere, so I'm thinking painted/rollered on that not going to flake or on the first stone chip, I won't have to paint the whole bar just the bottom side of it that made contact, Masking off the Matt back sides

Is there any brands to look out for that any of you have used or to stay away from? Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #22372 16th Jun 2008 2:43 pm
ChrisC

United Kingdom 

I think you have two options

1, take them off and take them to your local powercoater, they will do a fantastic job and the finish will last ages.

2, Hammerite satin black spray, get it from halfrauds, and give them a light covering.

Chris,

Post #22373 16th Jun 2008 3:24 pm
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue
Re: Side protection tubes - Scratch Sealant/Paint???

npinks wrote:
After my little outing to Tong the other week

I have noticed that the black protection tubes have done there job and come into contact with the ground.

I knew it had happened as i heard them and the tow-bar scrape the ground

So does anybody know or think of something that can be painted on to them to stop any rusting?

I don't want to spray anything as this sprays everywhere, so I'm thinking painted/rollered on that not going to flake or on the first stone chip, I won't have to paint the whole bar just the bottom side of it that made contact, Masking off the Matt back sides

Is there any brands to look out for that any of you have used or to stay away from?

ow bad are they scrathed? Would it be worth considering insurance ? Even if you do not have off-road insurance you can allways claim another cause as it would be difficult to say that they were not damaged on a national road. They might also leave them to you and you could repaair them at your lesiure and have spares. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #22374 16th Jun 2008 4:12 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

@ ChrisC
I'll have a look at that, As its only 2 bolts that hold them on so i can take them off to spray

@ Matei

No need to claim it what i bought them for and i knew they would bottom out going over the crest of a hill etc, they look from above totally fine, its just they a metal and it rust if not resealed.

Better to have them on than risk a door sill trim coming off (though i have spare trims any way due to a 99p ebay purchase Very Happy

I watched Avtur and alexg going over where i had heard them scrape and they had enough clearance to go over, but with the bars been lower than the door i had a couple of touches.

I'm not bothered in the slightest, but it's better to treat them than purchase more due to them rusting through in years to come Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Last edited by npinks on 16th Jun 2008 4:21 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #22375 16th Jun 2008 4:19 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Take them off anyway , just to ensure the mounting nuts are not seized with rust as you need to remove the side tubes to jack the car up if you ever get a puncture,The wheel brace fits the nuts in question. I coated the threads with copper grease..and my nuts too Shocked

Dont worry about overspray, buy a big tin of Santorini and spray the whole car Laughing .... you know you want it, suits you sir, suits you Laughing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #22376 16th Jun 2008 4:20 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

chicken george wrote:
Take them off anyway , just to ensure the mounting nuts are not seized with rust as you need to remove the side tubes to jack the car up if you ever get a puncture,The wheel brace fits the nuts in question. I coated the threads with copper grease..and my nuts too Shocked

Dont worry about overspray, buy a big tin of Santorini and spray the whole car Laughing .... you know you want it, suits you sir, suits you Laughing

I would not have to take the tubes off Landrover Assistance would, why do it yourself when they can do it for me Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #22377 16th Jun 2008 4:40 pm
Matei

npinks wrote:
@ ChrisC
I'll have a look at that, As its only 2 bolts that hold them on so i can take them off to spray

@ Matei

No need to claim it what i bought them for and i knew they would bottom out going over the crest of a hill etc, they look from above totally fine, its just they a metal and it rust if not resealed.

Better to have them on than risk a door sill trim coming off (though i have spare trims any way due to a 99p ebay purchase Very Happy

I watched Avtur and alexg going over where i had heard them scrape and they had enough clearance to go over, but with the bars been lower than the door i had a couple of touches.

I'm not bothered in the slightest, but it's better to treat them than purchase more due to them rusting through in years to come Thumbs Up

Yes they are lower and wider but they do offer some confort and protection.
And for me they were a must (for my mum, wife and son) so I had to put them. As the steps are wider than the tubes, if damaged I'll probably make a claim as I have learned that if I don't then just before renewall I'll have a bigger claim so that my year no claim bonus would be forfeited anyway.
Post a picture just to see what damage could be easily self repaired? Thumbs Up FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #22378 16th Jun 2008 5:22 pm
Matei

chicken george wrote:

Dont worry about overspray, buy a big tin of Santorini and spray the whole car Laughing .... you know you want it, suits you sir, suits you Laughing

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #22379 16th Jun 2008 5:24 pm
chicken george

npinks wrote:
chicken george wrote:

I would not have to take the tubes off Landrover Assistance would, why do it yourself when they can do it for me Thumbs Up

You would rather sit at the roadside for 1,2 maybe 3 hours waiting for LRA than change a wheel yourself? Now I see how you have the patience to tow a caravan miles to your destination at 30 mph Laughing
Get your hands dirty - you might enjoy it Laughing At work
At home

Post #22381 16th Jun 2008 6:23 pm
ChrisC

United Kingdom 

Take them off, and take them to a local power coater, they will strip the original paint, and powder coat them. My guess for about £30. Powder coating gives a bulit proof finish when done properly. I have had other auto parts (roll bars, suspension, sub frames) powder coated with great success. Only one thing to remeber if there is a thread in the tubes make sure you leave a bolt in the thread so they dont powder coat the thread, if they do you will need a tap to clean the thread.

Chris.

Post #22403 16th Jun 2008 10:35 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I think i am heading toward Hammerite or something similar

I'll only scrape them on the next off roading trip, so i can just seal them to keep the rust away

Thanks all for the comment and suggestions Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #22404 16th Jun 2008 10:39 pm
chicken george

ChrisC wrote:
Take them off, and take them to a local power coater, they will strip the original paint, and powder coat them. My guess for about £30. Powder coating gives a bulit proof finish when done properly. I have had other auto parts (roll bars, suspension, sub frames) powder coated with great success. Only one thing to remeber if there is a thread in the tubes make sure you leave a bolt in the thread so they dont powder coat the thread, if they do you will need a tap to clean the thread.

Chris.

No threads in the tubes, the tubes hang on bolts protruding from the sill Thumbs Up At work
At home

Post #22405 16th Jun 2008 10:55 pm
techauthorbob

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Narvik Black
Bar Protection paint

I build wrought iron gates as a pastime (sad git I know) and I use a nylon based gate paint - lasts ages.
I get mine from North Valley Forge (wwww.nvf.com) at the Colne end of the M65, can also get this from Shipley Paint Co (in Shipley funnily enough).
I use gallon tins but think smaller available - several colours too, even one close to Rimini Red I believe.
Good for landy chassis too.

Post #22518 18th Jun 2008 6:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1