Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > 100 Degree Starts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
markben7746

100 Degree Starts

Anyone had issues starting the engine when it is very hot outside (100+)? I had two press the start button 3x before the engine would turn over. The first 2 cycles would turn the engine but it would not start, it acted like it was starved off fuel.

Post #21823 8th Jun 2008 10:27 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

you might want to ask that in the Austrailia & New Zealand section Rolling with laughter

I don't think anybody in the UK has hit that temp yet Rolling with laughter Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #21827 8th Jun 2008 10:43 pm
CY

Scotland 

I don't know, felt a bit like it today Laughing "CY from DISCO3"

Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #21830 8th Jun 2008 11:09 pm
jvvv

Did you wait between the cycles? I mean, how much time did pass between the first try and the third try?

Post #21831 8th Jun 2008 11:09 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

CY wrote:
I don't know, felt a bit like it today Laughing

Tell me about it, I have a glowing nose Embarassed Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #21832 8th Jun 2008 11:26 pm
markben7746

I did not wait, it was one or two seconds between the pushing of the engine start button. It appeared to be some sort of "self-protection", the starter disengaged itself when the engine would not turnover.

Post #21834 9th Jun 2008 12:23 am
jvvv

Ok. Well my guess would be that it has something to do with the fuel pump then. It might me that it takes it a bit longer to build up pressure there.

What you might try next time:
- insert 'key'
- press button 2sec (without foot on brake or clutch) to have it turn on all the lights on the dash (what you would call putting it in the second position in a car with a normal key)
- wait a couple of seconds till all the lights on the dash have flashed and settled
- foot on the clutch/brake and press the ignition button again.

LR says it's better to start it this way than just push the key in and press the ignition button right away.

Post #21835 9th Jun 2008 6:32 am
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

jvvv wrote:
Ok. Well my guess would be that it has something to do with the fuel pump then. It might me that it takes it a bit longer to build up pressure there.

What you might try next time:
- insert 'key'
- press button 2sec (without foot on brake or clutch) to have it turn on all the lights on the dash (what you would call putting it in the second position in a car with a normal key)
- wait a couple of seconds till all the lights on the dash have flashed and settled
- foot on the clutch/brake and press the ignition button again.

LR says it's better to start it this way than just push the key in and press the ignition button right away.

Interesting. Didn't untill now but it sort of makes sense Thumbs Up FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #21836 9th Jun 2008 6:40 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

In that why doesn't the dash light up as you insert the 'key'. Its pretty obvious that if your putting the key in your going to be driving somewhere. Or do some people put their 'key' in the dash for safe keeping?
I will never like the idiotic start button idea. you should have a key or a button not both. Pushing the key in while pressing clutch should start the engine. Removing key should stop engine. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #21841 9th Jun 2008 8:10 am
Simon_CSK

chicken george wrote:
In that why doesn't the dash light up as you insert the 'key'. Its pretty obvious that if your putting the key in your going to be driving somewhere. Or do some people put their 'key' in the dash for safe keeping?
I will never like the idiotic start button idea. you should have a key or a button not both. Pushing the key in while pressing clutch should start the engine. Removing key should stop engine.

Must admit that I have got used to putting the fob in pressing the brake, pushing the button and driving off the issue I have is stopping. If the car in not in neutral or park you cannot turn off the engine and if not in park you cannot remove the fob what is that all about?? Censored

Have to say it is better than the other halfs Honda Civic which has a button AND a key the only thing the button does os start the engine. WHY Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes bother let the key do the work on the sprung position.

Post #21844 9th Jun 2008 8:46 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

Must admit I got used to the keyfob and start/stop button fairly quickly and now when I jump into my partners car I try to put the standard key into the dashboard!! Rolling with laughter

Does the keyfob/start-stop system make it much harder for a car thief to try and hot wire your car? Question Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #21845 9th Jun 2008 9:26 am
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Read somewhere that by placing the keyfob/stsrt button this way it helped the FL2 to do so well at the NCAP rating. (by removing the normal starter from the steering wheel complex. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #21846 9th Jun 2008 9:48 am
jvvv

Matei wrote:
Read somewhere that by placing the keyfob/stsrt button this way it helped the FL2 to do so well at the NCAP rating. (by removing the normal starter from the steering wheel complex.

Yes, but that 'crap'. Look at Saab f.e. The ignition key is next to the handbrake (with the really iritating thing that you have to put a manual in reverse to be able to remove the key). The whole keyfob/button thing is really useless unless the keyfob is wireless (like Renault has) so you can just keep the thing in your pocket and press the button. I think LR really should have made that possible (an idea for the next freelander?)

I have 2 complaints about the fob/button:
- When there isn't any keychain attached to it's not that easy to pull it out fast. It should have popped further when you remove it.
- It's not in a good place. the steering wheel is really in your way when you insert it. Since there isn't a mechanical steering lock i don't see any use to have it there. It would be much easyer to have the slot for the keyfob on the center console (or have it wireless ofcourse!!)

I still don't get used to it. Evrytime i stall the car or have to restart it i reach for the key and get frustrated that i forget about the button.

Matei wrote:

Interesting. Didn't untill now but it sort of makes sense Thumbs Up

Yes. In the early models the software crashed when you started it right away. I suposed they fixed it now since i never had any issues (i start her right away).

Post #21848 9th Jun 2008 10:12 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I tied a little loop of leather shoe lace onto my keyfob, make it easier to pull out, as I do not fasten my other keys to it...dont want to scratch the dash over time At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #21859 9th Jun 2008 12:18 pm
comerbuck

United States 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Rimini Red

With the hot weather here in Atlanta yesterday, I experienced the hot start problem on 3 seperate stops. Every time it was about 5 trys before the engine would catch. I always just put the fob in, step on the brake, then push the start button ... no problem with starting this way. I remember last summer having the problem also at times, but I thought it was fixed with a software update. We have had extremely hot weather here the past few days

Post #21936 9th Jun 2008 10:09 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>