Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Reversing cam .. then ...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
andycwb

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand
Reversing cam .. then ...

I don't even have the Freelander yet and I'm already thinking about what can be done with the electronics.

I'm getting an 11MY HSE SD4, which means the one missing feature I'd like is integrated MP3/iPod playing.

The cheap and cheerful option appears to be an iPad change + audio out lead for a couple of quid off Amazon, which will work to get me started, but still has to be controlled from the iPod/Phone screen, but I can live with that to start with.

I'm also seriously interested in adding the GVIF interface to add a reversing camera, just because it seems an interesting project. But the GVIF has some more inputs that can be selected, which got me wondering....

What if I got a Raspberry Pi, raspbmc, and a CANbus interface - so that I can monitor the in-car communications between the various switches.... We're now in the land of having a small Linux computer that can talk to everything in the car.

Post #203358 16th Oct 2013 6:31 pm
moikeydee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Auto Martinique Blue

IF I understood, I would want one too. Smile

When you get it going, please post update.

I simply want an integrated method for either iPhone 4 or iPod to play music etc. Apple not Rasberry Laughing

Good luck.

Post #218700 5th Mar 2014 9:21 pm
PuffyMcScrote

United States 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I've been toying with the same ideas. I've looked at small mini PCs, rPi's, and iPad minis.

Right now, though, I think I've narrowed it down to an rPi or a Parrot Asteroid SMART. The Parrot is definitely the easiest way to go and would require a minimum of wiring (I want to add a rear cam, as well), but the geek in me has a bit of a chubby over the idea of wiring a linux box into my ride. I think what you need to do is narrow it down to the things you want to accomplish. For me:

1) Stream music from my phone
2) Not lose functionality of the car - steering wheel controls, reverse sensors specifically
3) Add nav

The Parrot throws in a ton of extra bells and whistles (once you root the stereo... and let's be honest, the idea of rooting your car stereo is sexy as hell to a geek) and allows you to install apps from the Google Play store.

Post #218750 6th Mar 2014 1:04 pm
andycwb

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

I suspect you'll find the parrot box is a Linux box too.... 2011 MY SD4 HSE + planning some interesting stuff
Previously: 2004 Discovery Td5 ES Premium + lots of stuff
Previously: P38A Range Rover 4.0 SE
Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 Response Founder and Treasurer

Post #218762 6th Mar 2014 3:39 pm
PuffyMcScrote

United States 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Yes, absolutely, but not in the same style as a DIY mini case or a rPi card. It's got a refined GUI slapped on top of it.

Post #218764 6th Mar 2014 3:45 pm
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

PuffyMcScrote wrote:
I've been toying with the same ideas. I've looked at small mini PCs, rPi's, and iPad minis.

Right now, though, I think I've narrowed it down to an rPi or a Parrot Asteroid SMART. The Parrot is definitely the easiest way to go and would require a minimum of wiring (I want to add a rear cam, as well), but the geek in me has a bit of a chubby over the idea of wiring a linux box into my ride. I think what you need to do is narrow it down to the things you want to accomplish. For me:

1) Stream music from my phone
2) Not lose functionality of the car - steering wheel controls, reverse sensors specifically
3) Add nav

The Parrot throws in a ton of extra bells and whistles (once you root the stereo... and let's be honest, the idea of rooting your car stereo is sexy as hell to a geek) and allows you to install apps from the Google Play store.

That Parrot unit looks great - I've not seen that before. A quick look suggests they're about £430 in the UK - not too bad, considering.
Does it have an amp built in or does it need a separate power amp? I have a GS MY2010 with standard audio - I'm wondering how much extra work would be needed - I'm guessing it's not as easy as head unit out, Parrot in? Is an adaptor needed for the steering wheel controls?

Post #218782 6th Mar 2014 6:49 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1