Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue
oil change

Over here we are only allowed to use the Castroll 5/30
Any different oil makes allowed?
I would actually prefer an synthetic oil with 0/30. Will this affwct my warraty? FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #20847 24th May 2008 4:11 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hello Matei
It has been a long story if the motor oil as per Ford Norm B 913 and as recommended by LR for our Freely 2 (5W30) is sufficiently good enough for this top engine.
We all know that the TD4 is a co-development of PSA and Ford, and this engine is not only used by Landrover but also by Peugeot in its 4004-SUV and by Citroen in its X-Crosser. Lately, Mitsubishi is allowed to use this engine in its Outlander-SUV. Peugeot, Citroen and Mitsubishi recommend the use of motor oil according to the international norm ACEA B3, B4 or, if you have a DPF, C3. Landrover's oil recommendation conforms only to ACEA A1 - the lowest motor oil norm on the market. Landrovers argument is that their recommended A1-motor oil is an oil with a lower HTHS - value and that the use of this oil will reduce fuel consumption.
But every car-manufacturer I know of does recommend to use motor oils with a high HTHS-value, as such motor oils have a much higher temparature stability with increased shearing consistence.
Why Landrover chooses to go the opposite direction I do not know, but I do know that any ACEA A1 oils are NOT sufficient for our TD4-engines on the long run.
So we recommend to use any ACEA B3 or B4 oils if your do not have a DPF, and to use a good ACEA C3 oil if you do have a DPF. MOBIL 1 SuperSyn 0W40 or 5W40 are very good oils with presently the best mix of additives. For DPF engines we recommend Shell Helix Ultra "E" 5W30 (E=emssion) or Mobil 1 ESP-Formula 5W30 (ESP=emission system protection).

For a general guide of suitable motor oils for your Freely 2 you can safely follow the Mercedes norm MB 229.5 for engines without DPF and MB 229.51 for engines with DPF. Any oil listed in there will be good for your engine.
Please look also under "www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html"

YF

Post #20920 25th May 2008 8:16 pm
Matei

Thanks Thumbs Up

I am not sure that I'll be able to convince the dealer at first service to put another oil without loosing the warranty. Have tried same with my former 407 and had no success.
What you are saying is that as the B913 is similar with the ACEA A1 than if I would want to put an oil complying with ACEA B3/B4 There should be no warranty issue? FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #20929 26th May 2008 6:20 am
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

It is clear that YF has some in depth knowledge of oils, and it is always good to hear the opinions of others. However, I'm not quite sure how the conversation would work if you had warranty problem which was oil related and you told the service manager you were using a different oil to what is specified by LR because of something you had read on the internet.

The technical discussion is very interesting, but if its your own money tied up in the FL2 and you want the warranty to be effective then is there a conflict here? Or, is it not worth worrying about?

Post #20940 26th May 2008 10:05 am
Vic Benson

Canada 
Oil Change-Petrol

I changed my oil at 4000kms to a 100% synthetic on my own after doing some research with regards to the value of using a synthetic. I believe that going 12,000kms before an oil change is not a good practice especially for the initial run in for an engine. I talked to the dealer and he has agreed to use oil that I will supply for the 12,000 change. I am going to use Amsoil 0w/30 that meets or exceeds the requirements of LR.
Amsoil contains an additive that allows for extended service.

A friend of mine is a mechanic and he services taxies in our area and he swears by Amsoil.

I will continue to change the oil at shorter intervals than reccomended by LR. We will see.

V Thumbs Up Vic Benson

Post #20945 26th May 2008 12:21 pm
Matei

avtur wrote:
It is clear that YF has some in depth knowledge of oils, and it is always good to hear the opinions of others. However, I'm not quite sure how the conversation would work if you had warranty problem which was oil related and you told the service manager you were using a different oil to what is specified by LR because of something you had read on the internet.

The technical discussion is very interesting, but if its your own money tied up in the FL2 and you want the warranty to be effective then is there a conflict here? Or, is it not worth worrying about?

Yes you are right but I wondered if anyone new of a LR approved list of oils - I could not find one but this obviously does not mean such a list does not exist.
Otherwise I'll have to stick with the Castrol and hope that the 2T oil will help a little as well. Any damage at the engine which the dealers/LR might considered is due to not propper oil used would be very costly indeed and worth worrying abt. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #20948 26th May 2008 1:06 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Donīt worry: the Landrover oil specification is the MINIMUM requirement. Any better motor oil cannot and will not invalidate any guarantee or warranty. Local court decisions (in Germany) have been confirmed by the
European council. The major tenor of those judgements is: car-manufacturers, proove that the engine damage has been caused by the better motor oil. No car manufacturer has up to today been successful to submit any convincing evidence in this regard. So do not worry.

YF

Post #20949 26th May 2008 1:20 pm
Matei

yamaha-fan wrote:
Donīt worry: the Landrover oil specification is the MINIMUM requirement. Any better motor oil cannot and will not invalidate any guarantee or warranty. Local court decisions (in Germany) have been confirmed by the
European council. The major tenor of those judgements is: car-manufacturers, proove that the engine damage has been caused by the better motor oil. No car manufacturer has up to today been successful to submit any convincing evidence in this regard. So do not worry.

YF

Thanks Thumbs Up
Will try to convince the dealer to put in another oil type/spec FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #20950 26th May 2008 1:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1