« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Faulty Key-Fob
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
drummerpb

Spain 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi there, new on here---bare with me!
Similar problem, one fob working, one not at all. It failed in one of those Spanish thunder storms, so I was not pleased that not onlly did it not lock the car, but as i toggled the buttons to see if any thing would work, it suddenly opened ALL the windows. So I had to retrieve the manual key, open car,insert fob in dash, push button ignition on and operate all the window switches-----insde vehicle soaked, driver soaked and some very surprised spanish and some german tourists who were obviously asking themselves is that man shouting at his car and WHAT did he say, haven't heard that in my english class! It has done it again, but this time no rain.
Anyone any ideas? Is it woth opening with one fob and then use the apparently duff one on a reasonably long run.

Post #175378 13th Mar 2013 3:45 pm
EYorkshire

You do know you can open all the windows with your fob, don't you Question

Post #175383 13th Mar 2013 4:13 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Sounds like water may have got into the fob and shorted something out? Although they seem pretty well sealed.

Post #175386 13th Mar 2013 4:17 pm
EYorkshire

Not sure that you can unlock with one of your fobs and start the car with the other, I'm sure someone has tried it here Neutral

Post #175391 13th Mar 2013 4:25 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

If what EYorkshire says is right, get into the car with the door handle key and then put the fob in. The alarm will sound until you put the fob in. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #175392 13th Mar 2013 4:27 pm
drummerpb

Spain 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Auto Stornoway Grey

Yes I did know about windows,but this was the only function and then intermittantly and certainly not wanted when it is persisting it down!

Post #175394 13th Mar 2013 4:36 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

EYorkshire wrote:
Not sure that you can unlock with one of your fobs and start the car with the other...

That will take but a moment to test, hang on ...

Interesting. On docking the second fob the display remained blank (e.g. with the driver's door open the 'ping' was sounding but there was no message on the dash), but when I pressed the start button the car started up no problem and everything was normal thereafter.

So one can open with one fob and start with the other.

It would be a real pain otherwise. Wife returns to car first and opens it, but then driver's fob won't work!

Post #175398 13th Mar 2013 4:39 pm
Slaneydore

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Having the same issue with mine at the moment Mad
Mine could be down to the car sitting In the dealers for a few weeks not being used before I bought it
Well I'm hoping that's the case
Gonna take it on a long drive tonight and see what happens over the next few days - if its still the same I'll take it back to the dealer.....
I also have it booked in with another LR dealer in a few days to give it a full check over while its still on warranty

Not saying I don't trust the dealer I bought it from, but you never know Rolling Eyes BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders
The wanna be other half - http://www.freel2.com/forum/member-carriec.html

Post #179184 8th Apr 2013 6:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slaneydore

Yet another morning I'm out on the drive at 5am with a car that won't open with the key fob Sad
Pitch black trying to get the key in the passenger door handle to remove the cap to unlock with the key and get the fob in the slot as quick as I can before the alarm wakes the whole street up!!!!!

Popped in to a LR dealer yesterday on my home from work to ask if he recommended me taking it on a long drive to charge the fob, no sir it wouldn't make no difference the fob should charge as soon as its slotted in.....
Souls like you have faulty key fobs...
I phoned the dealer I bought the car from and he as asked me to bring it back Saturday to see if he can reset the fobs, if they can't there gonna order me 2 new ones...

I'll post the outcome Saturday and let you know what the fault is if there was one BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders

Post #179332 9th Apr 2013 6:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

EYorkshire wrote:
Not sure that you can unlock with one of your fobs and start the car with the other, I'm sure someone has tried it here Neutral

You can, at least on an 07, or at least on mine. First time I tried to use my 2nd fob it occasionally had enough power to unlock or lock the vehicle, but never enough to double lock it. So for 2 weeks I carried both fobs around, the good one for locking duties, the other to try and get it charged up.

Charging never worked, but using these forums I discovered you can solder in a new battery. Cost me a £6 in the end. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #179341 9th Apr 2013 8:18 am
Slaneydore

Im using one to unlock and the other one to start it BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders

Post #179364 9th Apr 2013 9:49 am
juyamah

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

For those that have decided to replace the battery in the Fob, you will find a solder sucker a great help in removing the old battery and leaving clean holes to fit the new one into, if you are buying the battery on ebay look for a solder sucker aswell (only cost about £3) and a very big help.

Post #189046 25th Jun 2013 1:35 am
Calcul@tor

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Just replaced the battery in spare fob...

Not an expert solderer by any stretch of the imagination and took a bit of effort to get the old battery out, desolder, insert new battery and re-solder.

But... it doesn't work! I didn't solder any bits I shouldn't have, but have no faith that a) I didn't damage something applying too much heat trying to get the old one out or desolder the area or b) my re-soldering isn't up to too much.

Should the fob have worked straight off? If so, on the balance of probabilities - have I knackered it??!!

Confused

Post #202269 7th Oct 2013 11:25 pm
juyamah

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Try using it in the ignition as it may need a boost charge, one of my 2 keys did not work right off...

Post #202280 8th Oct 2013 6:48 am
Calcul@tor

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Thanks - I'll give that a go...

Post #202344 8th Oct 2013 5:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>