Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Haldex Maintenance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 24 123 ... 222324>
Print this entire topic · 
sabikeuk

United Kingdom 

Hello, do you guys have any pictures how to drain and fill oil to haldex unit ? Where is filter located? Do you have haldex 4 generation ?

Post #189943 1st Jul 2013 3:20 pm
alex_pescaru

The best way: Haldex out and thoroughly clean all channels an interior.
It's not so complicated. Main driveshaft out, then 4 bolts and voila.
Then easy to take out pump, filter, oil, etc. Pump is the obvious one, where the electrical leads are entering. The filter is under that cross ribbed metal cap fixed with 2 bolts.
The plus it that you'll have full old oil out and you can clean and examine the parts inside and their fatigue.

More here:

Post #189946 1st Jul 2013 3:28 pm
impact

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Fuji White
Haldex Oil Change

michal969 wrote:
Alex :

I replaced Haldex oil while doing my rear diff bearing and Haldex unit had to be taken out(but I sucked out most of the oil while Haldex mounted) ,also replaced the filter - knowing that "lifetime" means 100 000 km - filter was quite dirty and worth replacing no matter what LR says.As for the ATF I made a double change - bought 7L of Valvoline Max Life ATF (meets JWS 3309) let it out , disconnected and flushed ATF cooler.My old ATF oil wasn't black,burned didn't smell so performed two cycles (cca 3L of ATF each).Shifting much improved Thumbs Up

I've purchased the Haldex Oil (see photo), and located the haldex unit. To me Haldex appears to be continuous with the rear diff.

I've identified two bolts that could be "plugs" but still not sure thorough which one I should be attempting to change the Haldex oil. Both bolts/plugs appear to be along the long axis of the unit/vehicle. Both can be seen in the last picture. - Looking for a bit of guidance, guys. Which bolt should I unscrew and which bit is the filter? It's an MY10

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

[/url] MY10 TD4 SE Auto

Post #193821 6th Aug 2013 11:37 am
alex_pescaru

This post could help you: http://www.freel2.com/forum/post100292.html#100292

As for the Haldex filter, you can't see him in the pictures. Is on the Haldex body, in the upper zone, somehow above the driveshaft. Is held in place by a metallic plate with two bolts.

Post #193867 6th Aug 2013 5:32 pm
impact

alex_pescaru wrote:
This post could help you: http://www.freel2.com/forum/post100292.html#100292

As for the Haldex filter, you can't see him in the pictures. Is on the Haldex body, in the upper zone, somehow above the driveshaft. Is held in place by a metallic plate with two bolts.

Thanks for coming to my rescue once again, Alex. I've located the filter now. Still couldn't quite see the drain plug. I'll go back and have another look tomorrow.
Multumesc MY10 TD4 SE Auto

Post #193974 7th Aug 2013 9:59 am
alex_pescaru

For the Haldex there is no drain plug. Just the filling plug.
This is why the ones that changed the fluid have extracted the old oil through the filling plug with a syringe or have their Haldex out of the car.
I, for one, I will choose the later as it will give you more space for thoroughly cleaning and inspecting the state of the Haldex and all its components. And it's easy. Just the driveshaft disconnected and then 4 bolts and voila...

Post #193976 7th Aug 2013 10:14 am
impact

alex_pescaru wrote:
For the Haldex there is no drain plug. Just the filling plug.
This is why the ones that changed the fluid have extracted the old oil through the filling plug with a syringe or have their Haldex out of the car.
I, for one, I will choose the later as it will give you more space for thoroughly cleaning and inspecting the state of the Haldex and all its components. And it's easy. Just the driveshaft disconnected and then 4 bolts and voila...

I was going to do that. But when I looked the Haldex appeared to be joined with the rear differential! Can this be the case? ....and I thought disconnecting shafts going to each rear wheel might be beyond me. MY10 TD4 SE Auto

Post #193987 7th Aug 2013 12:11 pm
alex_pescaru

Nope. The end shafts have nothing to do with.
The Haldex can be disconnected from the end diff by removing 4 bolts.
Two you see in your picture just below the Haldex pump, on its left and right, and two are on the upper part.
See below what I mean... (the ECU module is removed)
And also see the youtube link I've posted a few messages above, just before your message... You seem to have missed it... Wink

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by alex_pescaru on 10th Nov 2019 4:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #194015 7th Aug 2013 8:50 pm
impact

[quote="alex_pescaru"]Nope. The end shafts have nothing to do with.
The Haldex can be disconnected from the end diff by removing 4 bolts.
Two you see in your picture just below the Haldex pump, on its left and right, and two are on the upper part.
See below what I mean... (the ECU module is removed)
And also see the youtube link I've posted a few messages above, just before your message... You seem to have missed it... Wink

I've watched the video a couple of times but because I couldn't identify the point on my vehicle where Haldex and Diff come together I concluded that my version is somehow different. From your photo it looks as though the joint could possibly be hidden by the "support" braket that secures the unit to the body of the vehicle. The one that can be seen in one of my pictures with four bolts going verticaly. Should these bolts also be removed in addition to the shaft and the four that connect it to the rear diff? Alex, would you happen to know the LR part number for the filter please?

Click image to enlarge
 MY10 TD4 SE Auto

Post #194037 8th Aug 2013 12:07 am
alex_pescaru

It's just an impression... They are coming apart independently. Maybe it just looks that way, maybe it's a sealant in the separating line, covered with dust and therefore looks soldered. See below.
The dotted arrows in the upper part suggests non seeing bolts.
The dotted line is where they separate.

Last edited by alex_pescaru on 10th Nov 2019 4:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #194041 8th Aug 2013 7:33 am
impact

[quote="alex_pescaru"]It's just an impression... They are coming apart independently. Maybe it just looks that way, maybe it's a sealant in the separating line, covered with dust and therefore looks soldered. See below.
The dotted arrows in the upper part suggests non seeing bolts.
The dotted line is where they separate.

Alex, that is great! It all starting to come together in my mind. I called the spareparts department today and ordered the filter. I told the sales guy that it is for a Generation 4 and he didn't ask me any other details of my vehicle. Hope all Gen 4 filters are the same. I'm thinking of taking pictures or even a video as I'm servicing the unit to make it available to the members.

Did you take your unit completely apart just like in the video or did you partially dismatled it? And is washing of parts best done in pertol? Thanks again, Alex. MY10 TD4 SE Auto

Post #194056 8th Aug 2013 10:10 am
alex_pescaru

I never took mine apart, (yet!) but I've seen it done at one of my friends service shop.
Here are some Volvo part numbers, for Haldex 4.
The parts are identical (and cheaper, I may say)....

Volvo, Haldex 4
Filter - 31325173
Oil - 31325136
Oil Pump - 31256757
O-Ring - 925263 (LR002888)

Post #194073 8th Aug 2013 1:04 pm
impact

alex_pescaru wrote:
I never took mine apart, (yet!) but I've seen it done at one of my friends service shop.
Here are some Volvo part numbers, for Haldex 4.
The parts are identical (and cheaper, I may say)....

Volvo, Haldex 4
Filter - 31325173
Oil - 31325136
Oil Pump - 31256757
O-Ring - 925263 (LR002888)

Alex, I do apologise for all the questions - I just want to make sure I get this right. I would've taken it in to LR service but when I first talked to them about the idea of changing Haldex oil they didn't know what I was on about, or that the unit has a filter. So, before I start undoing all those bolts could I please ask you a few more questions?

1. My car has travelled 70 000km - Do you think I should change the haldex oil or wait longer?
2. As I remove the unit is there likely to be any haldex or diff oil escaping as the two units separate?
3. Do you think I will be able to remove all/most of the oil without completely dismantling haldex to bits, or is most of the oil likely to remain in many hidden cavities of the unit?
4. Should I also order the O-Ring 925263, and is the anything else I should order?
5. Should I fill the Haldex with oil before or after mouting it back up?

Thanks very much once again, Alex. MY10 TD4 SE Auto

Post #194078 8th Aug 2013 1:45 pm
alex_pescaru

No problem with the questions:
1. Yes, I, for one, I intend to do it at 60.000 kms.
2. When separating, you'll loose only Haldex oil. The diff oil is past a seal.
3. Enough oil will remain hidden. So best Haldex out, wash with strong alcohol (no thinner as it could damage the seals) and air blow it...
4. There isn't necessary if you are careful. But, for a few bucks, better buy it.
5. After install it on the car, as it is a procedure for filling it with oil which implies an ignition on/off stage.

You can use this mail for further questions: autopiese@gmail.com Name of the person: Virgil.
Is the mail of the guy that made the film on youtube. It's from Chisinau, Moldova. You can write him in English, Romanian or Russian. Very Happy

Post #194094 8th Aug 2013 3:56 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Quote:
You can use this mail for further questions: ...

But please keep us informed as to what he says. I hope I never need it, but this is all information which will be hugely useful to anyone who does need to service a Haldex.

Post #194097 8th Aug 2013 4:11 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 24 123 ... 222324>