« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Haldex Maintenance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 24 <123 4 ... 222324>
Print this entire topic · 
impact

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Fuji White

dpcwright wrote:
I hate to be in any way negative but if your tool has been made from aluminium as it looks like in the picture it will probably not withstand the torque required to undo the flange nut - in my experience this is quite tight. My usual trick is to use the bolts in place in the flange and a steel bar between then to hold the flange from turning - so no special tools are needed.

Thanks very much, I appreciate your input. I've never done this before and welcome any suggestions. If possible I'd like to avoid a situation where half way through the project I discover that I don't have the right gear. I'll keep the steel bar on standby....

Alex, I purchased the flange removing tool. Here it's called "the gear puller". I got the one with three prongs and it opens up to 100mm. The flange is 90mm. It should fit.

Does anyone have any idea what size nut I can expect to find holding the flange, so I can make sure I have the right socket ready?

Also today I attempted to undo the top up bolt/plug. Again, just to make sure there are no surprises on the day. I couldn't get the socket on it due to proximity to the support braket. Size 13 ring spanner fits just fine - but i managed to bend the spanner. The bolt didn't even move. I hope that was due to poor quality of the spanner and nothing to do with the plug. But it got me thinking, what would happen if I snap the bolt off!? Whistle

As always, I am very open to suggestions. MY10 TD4 SE Auto

Post #194788 13th Aug 2013 1:34 pm
impact

I managed to get the fill plug undone. Took a sample of the oil using a syringe to see how dirty it was. To my surprise it looked brand new. A lovely clear fluid with a shade of gold. Reminds me of cooking oil. So now I'm having second thoughts about touching it Confused
The vehicle has done 70000km (inc 1x LR experience day, 2 x sand driving days).

Click image to enlarge
 MY10 TD4 SE Auto

Post #194848 14th Aug 2013 9:44 am
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Please can a member who has changed Haldex oil tell us what colour their oil was?
Could the filters still be blocking up? Maybe the friction grinding dust doesn't suspend in the oil?
Kind regards from Fred 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #194855 14th Aug 2013 10:23 am
alex_pescaru

impact wrote:
To my surprise it looked brand new. A lovely clear fluid with a shade of gold. Reminds me of cooking oil. So now I'm having second thoughts about touching it Confused

The friction material suspends in oil and if this is the color, then, by all means, let it be...

Still, very hard to believe that after 70.000 km, with no oil change, the oil to have that brand new color.... Shocked Shocked

Post #194870 14th Aug 2013 1:17 pm
alex_pescaru

Post #196123 22nd Aug 2013 11:07 pm
impact

The man in the video is using Jet A1 to clean the parts! MY10 TD4 SE Auto

Post #196166 23rd Aug 2013 12:32 pm
michal969

Czech Republic 

Quote:
Please can a member who has changed Haldex oil tell us what colour their oil was?

I changed my Haldex oil at 135000 km and two years of vehicle age - my old oil looked the same as on that picture.The filter was also replaced.The filter paper (?) was grey with no signs of metal chips etc - the new filter paper is shiny white. From what I know the manufacturer of Haldex ecommends to change the oil every 3 - 4 years not relating to mileage as its is hygroscopic and absorbes the air moisture from air through the vent tube.I had the Haldex unit out of the car as I did this together with diff bearing job.I used a brake cleaner to clean the Haldex unit.Hope this will help someone.

Post #196231 23rd Aug 2013 7:02 pm
alex_pescaru

Thank you! Thumbs Up

Post #196245 23rd Aug 2013 9:20 pm
impact

alex_pescaru wrote:
impact wrote:
To my surprise it looked brand new. A lovely clear fluid with a shade of gold. Reminds me of cooking oil. So now I'm having second thoughts about touching it Confused

The friction material suspends in oil and if this is the color, then, by all means, let it be...

Still, very hard to believe that after 70.000 km, with no oil change, the oil to have that brand new color.... Shocked Shocked

Yes, I was very surprised to find it in pristine condition.

Does anyone know if both left and right hand drive vehiles for the european market come from the Halewood factory? Could there be any variation in the oil manufactured for different plants? Could it be a case where oil is produced under Haldex licence by a couple of manufacturers, and subsequently supplied to different factories? MY10 TD4 SE Auto

Post #196257 24th Aug 2013 6:36 am
michal969

Czech Republic 

impact -

it s a very specific question and may be there are several suppliers of Haldex oil for JLR...may be the Haldex units comes together with diffs assembled and filled directly from Haldex ? According to workshop manual the oil used in Haldex cames from Swedish company STAT OIL. As Haldex is also a Swedish company I believe the STATOIL is their main supplier.

To be more specific with Haldex - Haldex sold their powertrain division to Borg Warner who makes our units under brand HALDEX.

Post #196331 24th Aug 2013 8:15 pm
alex_pescaru

michal969 wrote:
may be the Haldex units comes together with diffs assembled and filled directly from Haldex ?

It can be seen on the first pictures that the rear diff bears the mark FoMoCo. So, I doubt the rear diff is Haldex / Borg also... Or who knows... Maybe is just branded Ford...

Post #196337 24th Aug 2013 8:36 pm
michal969

Czech Republic 

...you are right Alex....you never know "who is who" in our world today...for example all the oil seals in rear diff are VOLVO branded.... Very Happy

Post #196376 25th Aug 2013 5:38 pm
boss187

Canada 2010 LR2 i6 HST Auto Santorini Black

It's my first time posting a message. I just wanted to say that my dealer is not recomanding me to change the oil of my haldex.. even tho I hear a vibration on very low speed when turning hard..My question is Did the vibration stop after the oil change ? am I missing oil? My dealer wants to change the whole Haldex .. its a 4000 $ job!

I have an LR2 2010 with 110 000 km.. Thank you all for your help!

Post #198811 10th Sep 2013 8:49 pm
j00ppis

Finland 

Question. When i changed my diff. I filled both haldex and rear diff oil until it started to leak from filling hole, then i plugged the plugs, and installed whole diff included haldexunit back to its place. I didnt use method removing 70ml, should i be worried about Smile? About this ignition 5mins and removing 70ml, does this mean i start the car or just turn powers to car for 5mins, so it will make the system check and it starts automaticly the haldex pump? And then remove the 70ml.

Second. Is it possible just to replace only haldex filter to newone? Then unplug and fill full until it starts leak and plug back, ignition 5min, removing 70ml away Smile?

I noticed when i changed new diff, when i took haldex away. The haldex bearing sounded like there was somekind of sand between bearing when i rotated it, is this kind of mark that it is going Smile? If so, do i have to buy new haldex unit, what lr parts number Smile?
Oh, i forgot to mention. I used volvo xc90 parts, haldex oil and filter. Same stuff but under volvo logo and cheaper!

Kindly johnny.

Post #217642 22nd Feb 2014 2:01 pm
sergio977

Italy 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Orkney Grey

Question about Haldex oil change: the Handbook says "Turn the ignition on for 5 minutes." before top up the oil and remove 70ml...does it means to simply put the keyfob on the dash without start the engine?

Thank you Smile

Post #289028 1st Feb 2016 10:29 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 24 <123 4 ... 222324>