Home > General > Driving FL2 with snow chains
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
attox

Italy 

morrisgf wrote:
Hello Viking,

I also have Continental 4x4 WinterContact tyres 235/65R17 on 17" alloy rims from Motor Sports.
I am quite confident about my Freelander going up the Austrian mountain passes with these tyres without chains. But in Austria it is legally required to carry chains. Police might stop you and ask to show them your chains. So just to be safe, I'll probably carry a pair of chains in my roofbox.
Thanks.

It is what I normally do in addition to my winter tyre. I carry the chains only for "legal" requirements, otherwise as Vicking told, you should never need them. Enjoy driving on snow. It is marvellous with the Freel2.

Post #14758 26th Feb 2008 2:14 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

morrisgf wrote:
Hello Viking,

I also have Continental 4x4 WinterContact tyres 235/65R17 on 17" alloy rims from Motor Sports.
I am quite confident about my Freelander going up the Austrian mountain passes with these tyres without chains. But in Austria it is legally required to carry chains. Police might stop you and ask to show them your chains. So just to be safe, I'll probably carry a pair of chains in my roofbox.
Thanks.

Well, with those tyres you should get ahead. And I suppose it is better to show your chains rather than to be locked up in chains by the police. Cool

But should you need to put chains on, it is my clear advice to put 4 chains on rather than two to prevent you from damaging your car.

I asked my salesman about this, and he said: You can have two chains on for a short period and in low speed.

(he added though: what on earth do you need chains for?)

But in Norway the general conception is to have 4 chains on a 4x4-car. However, nobody ever has a need for that. I have never seen a 4x4-car with chains. But many FWD or RWD cars. And believe me; we do have snow here.

See other threads about this as I am too lazy to repeat myself. Laughing 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #14780 26th Feb 2008 7:50 pm
john

Canada 

In a pinch use front chains only and for going up hill only.
going down hill with only front chains on the vehicles rear tires will break loose and your rear end will arrive at bottom of the hill first --worse on a steep banked turn the back end will go off the road to the inside of the turn.
Remedy accelerate down hill or stop ASAP and put on rear chains

Even with winter tires chains would be needed if the snow in Vikings latest post (40 cm) had frozen or had been on the ground long enough to turn to faceted crystals or depth hoar or compact sintered spring snow instead of fresh powder
However LR2 probably doesn't produce enough at the wheel torque (without a low range ) to move through deep stiff snow with chains (needs 4.11 differential and 1st gear low range )

With the minimum clearance available between the Front tire and the suspension Freelander/LR/2 must have a Society of Automotive Engineers SAE low clearance chain
Note that High traction V bar off road chains would obviously cause severe damage to this vehicle.
There are multiple types of chains available for various driving conditions( steel, cable, titanium,low clearance, slow speed only, higher speed, offroad (chain cross bar, steel crossbar, chain V bar cross bar.)

If the chain is not correct for the vehicle and tire the chain can damage suspension, wheel wells, hydraulic lines or most expensively the antilock braking system leads. If the anti lock brake leads are broken the anti lock controller chip may be shorted out and destroyed $$$$$$$.

All Season tires may work most of the time if they have a high sipe or slash count on the tire surface but are not at all sufficient after 50 % tread wear since most of the sipes eill have worn off. Also after 3 years parked outside the all season rubber becomes too stiff to grip an icy surface.

The legal position over here is that full on winter tires or chains must be mounted on your vehicle or you will NOT be allowed on the mountain roads under high snowfall or slippery conditions. And if you go out anyway and are in an accident the driver at fault is the one without the winter/snow tires.

For the skiers and riders visiting whistler your rental vehicle will not necessarily be properly equipped and in mid winter your week of holidays may be shortened while waiting for the road to be cleared to city street standards.

Last Highway clogging snowfall April 19 over here, Whistler spring skiing until June 6 on season's pass, then summer skiing to August 10 4x4's and skis

Post #18743 26th Apr 2008 11:54 pm
john

Canada 

bjartin wrote:
attox wrote :
In Europe most of people in Austria, Switzerland and northen Italy use 2 sets of tyres just for that.

The norwegians are born with skies on their feet, and their cars have a set wintertyres on in winter.
Living in Denmark now (without snow, perhaps only 1-2 days) ,I follow the tradition and have good, new wintertyres on.

Oh, I miss roads covered with snow and ice.

bjartin

If the chains aren't locked in place on the rims per landrover then the chain bars or web need to extend sufficiently across the tire tread to keep the ring or circumferential chain ~150mm inside the outer tread Diameter.
otherwise in stiff snow (frozen, fern, hoar) the chain will compress the tire tread and spin off the tire.
This usually happens when you are good and well stuck and the winch cable can't reach a tree. 4x4's and skis

Post #18744 27th Apr 2008 12:05 am
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

I have said before, and I say it again: If you must use chains, have chains on all 4 wheels! 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #18771 27th Apr 2008 1:14 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234