Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
attox

Italy 

jimmy wrote:
VIKING wrote:
jimmy wrote:
If an excellent 4WD vehicle with these tyres has a problem - then basically most other drivers on those roads will be completely stuck !

Not if they are equipped with proper tyres!

But report back how the driving up in the mountains went.

I believe that "winter" tyres are mainly a Scandinavian phenomenun. When I lived in the UK - we never changed tyres in Winter, neither did we when driving to the French / Italien ski resorts. In fact, I only knew about "winter / summer" tyres when I moved to Denmark.

I suspect that most divers in Europe just use 1 set of tyres - unless living in a particulary snowy region.

Does anyone in the UK change to "winter" tyres - for home driving - or travelling abroad (eg to skiing) ?

Hi Jimmy!

It should appear funny but i use winter tyres normally, even if I live on the Mediterrranean sea!
(BTW today is a gorgeous sunny day).

The reason is quite simple. All around I have mountains and very close to the Alps. During the winter season in those area is not unusual to find ice on very steepy slopes. Eventually you need chains and it is also compulsory to keep them on board. Moreover even when you drive on a highway you feel more secure.
In Europe most of people in Austria, Switzerland and northen Italy use 2 sets of tyres just for that.

attox.

Post #13170 17th Jan 2008 1:41 pm
bjartin

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

attox wrote :
In Europe most of people in Austria, Switzerland and northen Italy use 2 sets of tyres just for that.

The norwegians are born with skies on their feet, and their cars have a set wintertyres on in winter.
Living in Denmark now (without snow, perhaps only 1-2 days) ,I follow the tradition and have good, new wintertyres on.

Oh, I miss roads covered with snow and ice.

bjartin LR Freelander2 2,2 Td4 HSE manuel Stornaway Grey (Metallic) & Ebony Black Leather & Sun/Moon-roof & Bi-Xenon & Roof Rails & Tow bar & Body side rubbing strips & Cold climate pack & Privacy glass & NavTeq . Production Date: 11/5-2007 in Halewood.

Sorry, but I have changed to Defender 90 ", and I love my" tractor ".
http://www.youtube.com/bjartin

Post #13175 17th Jan 2008 6:39 pm
jimmy

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

[quote="jimmy"]Hi Attox !

Maybe the "sensors" are something to do with the tyre pressure monitoring system ??

My FL2 is not a high enough specification to have this Big Cry

I think that chains that interfere with brake pipes etc are just simply not the right size - meaning that at the back side of the tyre (towards the engine) - the chains should only reach a few cm down towards the middle.

At the front side of the tyre it's a different story - whereby the chain fixing mechanisn can nearly cover the whole side.

Anyway - I'll send some pictures Thumbs Up

2 pictures taken - see Gallery and "last additions".

Comments ?

Post #13299 19th Jan 2008 8:20 pm
attox

Italy 

[quote="jimmy"]

jimmy wrote:
Hi Attox !

Maybe the "sensors" are something to do with the tyre pressure monitoring system ??

My FL2 is not a high enough specification to have this Big Cry

I think that chains that interfere with brake pipes etc are just simply not the right size - meaning that at the back side of the tyre (towards the engine) - the chains should only reach a few cm down towards the middle.

At the front side of the tyre it's a different story - whereby the chain fixing mechanisn can nearly cover the whole side.

Comments ?

Jimmy, I don't know about the tyre pressure monitoring system.
I simply followed what indicated on the owner's manual and the possible interference with sensors or other is in part logical speculation and advise from technicians.

Looking at your picture it looks your chain is not touching anyware and I hope you checked also with the wheel completely steered on left and right. What we cannot forsee is what happens during the real driving on snow. I don't know if you had the chance to test the chains yet. Even if the chain adhere perfectly on the tyre in standing position it has the tendency to "follow" the centrifugal force when the wheel is revolving.
By the way on the smaller 16" rims LR does not put any limit on the type of chain as it does on the 17" and 18" ones, so probably they stayed more on the prundential side.

Post #13319 20th Jan 2008 9:58 am
jimmy

Comments ?[/quote]

Jimmy, I don't know about the tyre pressure monitoring system.
I simply followed what indicated on the owner's manual and the possible interference with sensors or other is in part logical speculation and advise from technicians.

Looking at your picture it looks your chain is not touching anyware and I hope you checked also with the wheel completely steered on left and right. What we cannot forsee is what happens during the real driving on snow. I don't know if you had the chance to test the chains yet. Even if the chain adhere perfectly on the tyre in standing position it has the tendency to "follow" the centrifugal force when the wheel is revolving.
By the way on the smaller 16" rims LR does not put any limit on the type of chain as it does on the 17" and 18" ones, so probably they stayed more on the prundential side.[/quote]

Hey Attox,

You are right about the wheel / tyre diameter issue ; the larger the wheel - the closer to the shock-abosorber the tyre wall gets.

I tried it on full lock - and it maintains this "1cm-1.5cm" gap to the shock absorber - but not tried it on snow yet.

There maybe a problem if you hit a kerb for example, causing the tyre wall to flatten sideways - then it could be very, very close to the shock absorber.

Also - probably not a good idea to let pressure out of the tyres (so they flatten and become wider) Thumbs Up

Last edited by jimmy on 20th Jan 2008 1:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #13327 20th Jan 2008 11:15 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Cheers for the photos Jimmy Thumbs Up

Looks like there is a bit of clearence between the wheel and the shockers ect.

Don't forget to take in to account the centrifugal force acting on the chains when your driving, are the inner chains tight and won't be forced into the shockers when the wheels a spinning whilst driving. Question

If so things are looking good Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #13329 20th Jan 2008 11:24 am
attox

Italy 

jimmy wrote:

I tried it on full lock - and it maintains this "1cm-1.5cm" gap to the shock absorber - but not tried it on snow yet.

There maybe a problem if you hit a kerb for example, causing the tyre wall to flatten sideways - then it could be very, very close to the shock absorber.

Also - probably not a good idea to let pressure out of the tyres (so they flatten and become wider) Thumbs Up

Yes, I think that with 1cm-1.5cm gap is too narrow, no safe margin at all.
I ordered the spikes type together with my FL2 that will collect in a few days. I hope to never use chains. As told before I need them mainly for police regulations.

Post #13343 20th Jan 2008 3:01 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i was told old my old cars chains a gap that can fit your finger in should be ok

But then I get then thinking what happens if they had fat fingers and i have skinny ones, what is the average for a finger size Question Shocked Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #13345 20th Jan 2008 5:37 pm
attox

Italy 

npinks wrote:
i was told old my old cars chains a gap that can fit your finger in should be ok

But then I get then thinking what happens if they had fat fingers and i have skinny ones, what is the average for a finger size Question Shocked

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #13347 20th Jan 2008 6:15 pm
jimmy

npinks wrote:

But then I get then thinking what happens if they had fat fingers and i have skinny ones, what is the average for a finger size Question Shocked

.......I think it depends where you put it.......... Thumbs Up

Post #13350 20th Jan 2008 6:30 pm
morrisgf

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Chains on all four wheels ?

Hello,
I'm going to Austria next week. I have fitted winter tyres on 17" rims and my LR dealer recommends to fit chains on all 4 wheels. What do you think ? Thanks.

Post #14658 25th Feb 2008 10:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

I maybe wrong but i am sure the manual states fit chains to the front wheels only

Which chains you looking at? there is not many that fit apparently Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #14659 25th Feb 2008 10:43 am
attox

Italy 
Re: Chains on all four wheels ?

morrisgf wrote:
Hello,
I'm going to Austria next week. I have fitted winter tyres on 17" rims and my LR dealer recommends to fit chains on all 4 wheels. What do you think ? Thanks.

Hi morrisgf!

Have a look at these past treads, you may find the information you need:

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic1027.html?highlight=snow+chain

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic1029.html?highlight=snow+chain

Enjoy the Alps!

Post #14661 25th Feb 2008 10:57 am
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue
Re: Chains on all four wheels ?

morrisgf wrote:
Hello,

What sort of winter tyres do you have on? If you have proper winter tyres, there should be no need for chains.
(If chains, I recomend chains on all 4 wheels)

I have Conti 4x4 IceContact (without studs), and have no need for chains. What do you have on? 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #14669 25th Feb 2008 12:27 pm
morrisgf

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hello Viking,

I also have Continental 4x4 WinterContact tyres 235/65R17 on 17" alloy rims from Motor Sports.
I am quite confident about my Freelander going up the Austrian mountain passes with these tyres without chains. But in Austria it is legally required to carry chains. Police might stop you and ask to show them your chains. So just to be safe, I'll probably carry a pair of chains in my roofbox.
Thanks.

Post #14746 26th Feb 2008 10:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>