Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Clutch Slipping - advice needed please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Oceantreader

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

I have a 2007 MY with 153K on the clock. It's had intermittent clutch slip for the best part of 100k, only between 2000 & 2200 rpm in a high gear. It's really only apparent when restoring cruise control after encountering traffic. (cruise disengages)
I'm in no rush to get it 'fixed' as it works OK as it is. I've been expecting it to fail every week for three years, but it's more or less the same now as it's ever been.

Post #170990 8th Feb 2013 7:27 pm
flylr

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

The dealer principal finally made contact with me this week. He was apologetic about the poor service I had received but maintained their call on the warranty was the correct one. Standard speech on wants to retain my business etc and since I am looking to replace the vehicle he will knock the money I paid off the price of a new vehicle.

Assuming I still want to go with Landrover again (and this dealer) and I ensure I genuinely get the money off (not discount I would have got anyway) - this is something I need to consider.

Once again many thanks to Liam @ LR Customer services. He has been all over this dealer like a rash, keeping me informed all the way. (Coming) 2016 RR Evoque td4 180 HSE Dynamc
(Going) 2013 TD4 GS Auto - Santorini Black with black leather. Cold Climate, UK Lighting & Armrest Packs. Privacy Glass. LR Rubber Mats. Full size spare.
60 000 miles averaging 35mpg

(Gone) 2010 TD4 Manual GS - Stornoway Grey. Sold at 3yrs old & 64k miles. Final average consumption 39.2mpg.

Post #171063 9th Feb 2013 2:35 pm
flylr

Was at the dealer today test driving a new Evoque. I quite liked it but the wife not so keen. Looks like another Freelander on the cards. Working on some numbers currently.

So things looking positive until....

Got back from the dealer, parked up at home. Couple of hours later needed to go out. Hopped in the Freelander. Reversed off the drive and then found I couldn't engage first... or second.... The gearlever will not move across to the left at all. So 3rd onwards fine but cant get across to the left. Called LR assist and they will send somebody tomorrow morning to take a look.

You really couldn't make this sh!t up!! No idea what the problem is this time.

Why oh why couldnt this have happened when I was parked at the dealers. (Coming) 2016 RR Evoque td4 180 HSE Dynamc
(Going) 2013 TD4 GS Auto - Santorini Black with black leather. Cold Climate, UK Lighting & Armrest Packs. Privacy Glass. LR Rubber Mats. Full size spare.

(Gone) 2010 TD4 Manual GS - Stornoway Grey. Sold at 3yrs old & 64k miles. Final average consumption 39.2mpg.

Post #171780 15th Feb 2013 6:45 pm
flylr

Looks like problem solved.

Landrover Assist found a bracket associated with the linkage was bent. They bent it back into place and it seems to be fine so far. Fingers crossed.

The theory is that when the gearbox was removed or put back in the bracket was probably caught and bent out of shape. The conclusion is it seems very likely that it is related (once again) to the clutch replacement job.

Well that was a chunk of my weekend wasted thanks to my favourite dealer but least the problem has been fixed relatively simply. I guess another call to the dealer principal is in order!! (Coming) 2016 RR Evoque td4 180 HSE Dynamc

Post #171929 16th Feb 2013 8:31 pm
Stevea

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

flylr - I was told by my local independent when he replaced the 2nd clutch due to the exact same issue as the 1st clutch (slipping in high gears) he was of the opionion that LR should have really also replaced the flywheel when they did the original clutch - they didn't and this was apparently the cause of the 2nd clutch slipping again after just a further 20k miles... No idea if this is correct or not, but the same independent has just replaced my diff bearings for a very reasonable £470... landrover wanted upwards of £1400! Shocked

Be prepared for your new clutch to start slipping again as appears to be the case with a few of us who are now on 2nd or even 3 replacements... Sad 2008 SE, HSE wheels, Black Premium Leather, Privacy Glass, Sports Kit, Side Steps, various LED upgrades and Clear side indicators.

Post #172292 19th Feb 2013 9:29 pm
ad210358

England 

Really Shocked Diff bearings are a Low Level repair, parts cost abut £150 £200 and three to four hours work, depending on the dealers labour charges maximum £600 + the Vat

Post #172303 19th Feb 2013 9:49 pm
Andy Jeff

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Oceantreader wrote:
I have a 2007 MY with 153K on the clock. It's had intermittent clutch slip for the best part of 100k, only between 2000 & 2200 rpm in a high gear. It's really only apparent when restoring cruise control after encountering traffic. (cruise disengages)
I'm in no rush to get it 'fixed' as it works OK as it is. I've been expecting it to fail every week for three years, but it's more or less the same now as it's ever been.

I also have a 2007 MY car but with only 60k or so on the clock. My clutch slips in exactly the same way as you describe between 2000 and 2200 rpm in a high gear and especially when resuming cruise. In fact, sometimes it even cancels the cruise! I too have told the dealer but again it's intermittent and never happens when in the dealers hands (its intermittent with me too) sometimes it doesn't happen for months and sometimes it happens daily.

Andy.

Post #172346 20th Feb 2013 1:11 am
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Stevea wrote:
flylr - I was told by my local independent when he replaced the 2nd clutch due to the exact same issue as the 1st clutch (slipping in high gears) he was of the opionion that LR should have really also replaced the flywheel when they did the original clutch - they didn't and this was apparently the cause of the 2nd clutch slipping again after just a further 20k miles... No idea if this is correct or not, but the same independent has just replaced my diff bearings for a very reasonable £470... landrover wanted upwards of £1400! Shocked

Be prepared for your new clutch to start slipping again as appears to be the case with a few of us who are now on 2nd or even 3 replacements... Sad

I had the same issue, but have done 20,000 miles on its replacement, including towing and it is not slipping yet. They don't always go again. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #172410 20th Feb 2013 5:15 pm
flylr

Hi Andy

Mine used to cancel cruise as well sometimes, particularly when under extra load like a hill or resuming after slowing down.
Clearly there is a problem so insist they sort it our asap. (Coming) 2016 RR Evoque td4 180 HSE Dynamc

Post #172423 20th Feb 2013 7:07 pm
msfergus

United Kingdom 
Re: Having the same issue

msfergus wrote:
45 k on a 59 plate from new and I've got a similar problem. Slipping at low revs in high gear and when accelerating hard in lower gears. Car is out of warranty now. Is there any point at all in challenging the dealer?

I've always I had main dealer servicing but I'm tempted to go independent now as I don't think the dealer deserves the business for what appears to be a common problem. I'm also tempted to live with it for a bit (can at least save some cash towards it) as you seem to have got a decent additional mileage from the onset of the issue. 30 years of motoring. All vehicles take to over 100k with no clutch issues. Next vehicle will not be a Landrover.

Update: Tried the dealer but they couldn't replicate the fault and suggested come back when the problem is more consistent. So a few weeks later and after a long run..... I can't replicate it either. The slip has vanished. Do I hope, as suggested elsewhere, that the self adjuster may have been stuck and is now ok? Do I apply some woman's logic to this now and spend the £1300 I didn't have anyway on something else now that I don't need a new clutch (yet)? Exclamation

Post #176913 23rd Mar 2013 5:45 pm
si.

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Guess who's clutch has started slipping........ Rolling Eyes

Towing the caravan for a weekend in Bonny Scotland, I was aware of a slight slippage, now and again. I tried the foot down with the turbo spolling test (without the caravan on), and the revs increased by 200-300 rpm, before dropping back, and the car accelerating. I have noticed the biting point is very high on the pedal travel, but has been since we bought it last summer.

As there's less than 3 months left on the warranty, I hope it gets repaaired under warranty, before it expires....

Assuming I can get an appointment at Team Valley, as they only work Saturday morning, and getting time off work to go through the week, would be like parting the waters of the Red Sea..

Post #178379 1st Apr 2013 8:46 pm
toeknee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Si
Give TVLR a ring they might come and pick your Freelander up from Work and leave you one of their courtesy cars, worth a call

Post #178393 1st Apr 2013 9:30 pm
si.

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

toeknee wrote:
Si
Give TVLR a ring they might come and pick your Freelander up from Work and leave you one of their courtesy cars, worth a call

Thank's. I'll give them a call tomorrow, and see how the land lies...

Can I just confirm my understanding? Each of you who has suffered this 'hitch', within the first 3 years. Has had the repairs carried out FOC, under the warranty....

Post #178400 1st Apr 2013 9:53 pm
flylr

Nope. Not in my case. Dealer refused to even try a claim with LR despite clutch not being badly worn.
Make sure you call around to get a good price before you begin even though hopefully it will be covered by warranty. Prices varied from £849 to £1299 just to replace clutch plate. Once the car is in pieces it is too late to start negotiations if warranty rejected. (Coming) 2016 RR Evoque td4 180 HSE Dynamc

Post #178402 1st Apr 2013 10:19 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Another 400 miles done over Easter with the van on the back and all is still OK. If you have a new clutch fitted, it doesn't always mean it will go again. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #178468 2nd Apr 2013 3:11 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>