Home > Technical > Headlamp dip beam continental / UK driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
krankyd

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

Gecko wrote:
yamaha-fan wrote:
Hi Eddie, it seems that the outfit for the UK and Germany is different. I do not understand this philosophy, as we here on the Continent do not really need the "tourist lever". It is much more required for the UK - but as you say you only get it with the Adaptive Lighting System. I fail to follow this logic.
But the thread-opener is obviously from Belgium, so I assume (hope) that the LR 2 outfit in Belgium is the same as in Germany.
YF

I hope it's the same too then - and yes I'm in Belgium so it's a left hand drive model (when I get it) I hope it's got the lever because I go across the channel back to the Uk regularly. It'll get checked first thing when I pick up that car - hopefully in about 10 days time. Thumbs Up

HI,
I think the `tourist lever` is only on xenon headlights, not normal ones. I can only assume it is because they run at a much higher temperature than normal bulbs - I would not want to stick plastic deflectors to the front of my lesnes for fear of the melting.
I do have the lever, and I have xenon's.

Post #14419 20th Feb 2008 10:50 am
krankyd

HI,
Just to add to this, as I've just swithced my lights over for my impending France trip Smile

You have to totally remove the light housing from the car, then remove the large plastic oval cover that covers the access to the bulbs. When you look inside you can see a small lever with `uk` written onto it. Just flick it into the opposite direction and there you go.
All Bi-Xenon freelander 2's should have this I believe.

Post #15243 6th Mar 2008 3:43 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

krankyd wrote:

HI,
I think the `tourist lever` is only on xenon headlights, not normal ones. I can only assume it is because they run at a much higher temperature than normal bulbs - I would not want to stick plastic deflectors to the front of my lesnes for fear of the melting.
I do have the lever, and I have xenon's.

The lever isn't there on standad halogan lmaps because you can add the sticker and adding the lever would increase the cost of the lamp unit.

The reaon why they are on xenons is that the deflector stickers would simply break up the xenon light and send it out in the wrong direction.

The light properties of xenons are different to halogen and therefore the lenses are very different.

Post #15252 6th Mar 2008 4:49 pm
mjb

Germany 

krankyd wrote:
You have to totally remove the light housing from the car, then remove the large plastic oval cover that covers the access to the bulbs. When you look inside you can see a small lever with `uk` written onto it. Just flick it into the opposite direction and there you go.

Do you really have to take the whole unit out? Any chance of a couple of pictures? - Mike

Post #15258 6th Mar 2008 5:36 pm
krankyd

mjb wrote:
krankyd wrote:

Do you really have to take the whole unit out? Any chance of a couple of pictures?

HI,

Sorry - my car is already getting packed up for the trip!
It is only a quick job, it sounds a lot but the parts really do just clip together.

remove the 2 screws on the light housing, and then press the small black clip upwards to `unlock` the light housing. It should then easily just east forward and out of the hole in the car. You can do this without removing the power leads to the light as I did actually.

You'll now see the clip with a long plastic rod clipped over a circular cover that hides the lights. Just pop off the clip (same one as you used above to remove the light housing) and remove the cover. It just clips on / off. Then peer inside and you'll see the lever for switching the lights.
It only takes about 2 mins per light. Really easy.

I spoke to the LR technician and he said definatly don't put diverter stickers in front of Xenon headlights. They tend to shrink and melt and dis-colour because of the high temperatures involved. It's one of the reasons why the xenon's come built in with a LHD / RHD switcher.

Post #15322 7th Mar 2008 10:13 am
mjb

Germany 

Thanks for the description krankyd. I'm going to the UK in a couple of weeks, so while I'm in the Chunnel I can use the time to dissassemble the lights ready for UK use Thumbs Up - Mike

Post #15326 7th Mar 2008 2:47 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12