« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Headlamp dip beam continental / UK driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Gecko

Vatican 
Headlamp dip beam continental / UK driving

I'm taking delivery of my Freelander2 at the end of the month (hopefully) . It's a LHD as I live in Belgium but I'd like to know how anyone adjusts the dip beam on the headlamps when driving on the UK roads. You UK folks wil have the same problem in reverse when you come over here so I'm wondering is there any trick or is it just tape up the lens in the old fashioned way ? On a previous Audi I had a lever at the back of the headlight to adjust the dipped beam - does the Freelander have anything like this ?
Cheers
Gecko

Post #13896 4th Feb 2008 4:11 pm
superkoala

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Rimini Red

I don't know about the S version, but on the HSE (with xenons in Belgium) it's possible to use a lever, to do this you have to take out the headlights to reach it
not that easy, but not a big job either 

Post #13900 4th Feb 2008 4:38 pm
Gecko

Vatican 

Hmmm..... wonder what kind of lights I will get on the S then...? I asked the dealer about this UK dip beam and he didn't have a clue....mind you no surprise there in this country. It was hard work to find a dealer who was even interested to sell me one. I went to 3 different dealers and almost had to be them to take Euro 37,000 from me Mad

Post #13902 4th Feb 2008 5:25 pm
Gecko

Vatican 

Bump.... anyone else got any thoughts on this ? Surely someone has crossed the channel in their FL2 by now

Post #14211 14th Feb 2008 2:29 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Sorry can't help on the lights, not had mine abroad yet

I am supprised the dealer can say though Shocked Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #14216 14th Feb 2008 2:35 pm
mjb

Germany 

Gecko wrote:
Bump.... anyone else got any thoughts on this ? Surely someone has crossed the channel in their FL2 by now

I believe only the xenons have a lever for LHD/RHD, for standard headlamps you'll have to use the stickers. - Mike

Post #14219 14th Feb 2008 3:56 pm
rover60

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Ive got the hse halogen lights and they have not got the levers its the adaptive light system that has the lever behind the headlight 07my Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Baltic Blue,Privacy Glass,Ebony black leather,Land rover detachable towbar,S/S Side bars,Climair wind deflectors,Bramble Rash,

Post #14221 14th Feb 2008 4:26 pm
Nazca Sand Eddie

United Kingdom 

Do a search on 'Adjusting headlamps for RHD?'

There is some info there for you - I know yours will be LHD to RHD but the reply I made may help you. My reply gives the location on where to stick the tape etc.

Post #14238 14th Feb 2008 8:27 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

On page 73 of the FL2 Owners Manual you will find the discription under " Adjusting the Headlamps".
All Headlamps irrespective whether Halogen or Xenon do have a "tourist lever" as Landrover calls it.
You have to remove the complete headlamp by unscrewing the two holding bolts on top of each head lamp. Than pull the locking lever (black plastic stick) to release the head lamp. Pull the head lamp unit forward towards you until you can access the back of the head lamp unit. In the middle between the two head bulbs you will see a black lever which you have to move in the opposite direction until it clics. That is all.

It is very easy, you can not break anything, and it is done within 5 minutes.

YF

Post #14247 15th Feb 2008 7:29 am
Gecko

Vatican 

Thanks for the replies folks. Looks like some 'fettling' is going to be called for alsmost as soon as I take delivery. We're off on the ferry from Zeebrugge to Hull for Easter with the new car so I'm going to need to figure this out as I have a fair bit of night driving planned on that trip and unlike those Frenchies.... I do care about dazzling other road users Smile At least if the worse comes to the worse I can use the black tape now - thanks for the detailed explanation of where to stick it Shocked

Post #14260 15th Feb 2008 12:20 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

where are you going on your UK trip gecko?

Post #14262 15th Feb 2008 12:56 pm
Nazca Sand Eddie

United Kingdom 

Yamaha-Fan.

Here in the UK the Adjusting Lever you refer to on page 73 is only available to those who have the Adaptive Lighting System.

I was very disappointed when I removed one of my headlamps to adjust the lever, only to find it was not there.

My dealer confirms all is correct as I have the Halogen Lamps.

I have to use black electrical tape when I visit you on the continent.

Post #14263 15th Feb 2008 1:17 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi Eddie, it seems that the outfit for the UK and Germany is different. I do not understand this philosophy, as we here on the Continent do not really need the "tourist lever". It is much more required for the UK - but as you say you only get it with the Adaptive Lighting System. I fail to follow this logic.
But the thread-opener is obviously from Belgium, so I assume (hope) that the LR 2 outfit in Belgium is the same as in Germany.
YF

Post #14268 15th Feb 2008 5:21 pm
Gecko

Vatican 

chicken george wrote:
where are you going on your UK trip gecko?

Popping in to see family in Halifax then up to Hawick for easter and into Newcastle for lunch on the way back.... it'll be the first decent outing in the new LR so we're really looking forward to it. We were over last year the days after the heavy flooding in Hull and the rest of Yorkshire - really could have benfitted from it then but I was in a Merc which didn't float very well Wink

Post #14386 19th Feb 2008 5:45 pm
Gecko

Vatican 

yamaha-fan wrote:
Hi Eddie, it seems that the outfit for the UK and Germany is different. I do not understand this philosophy, as we here on the Continent do not really need the "tourist lever". It is much more required for the UK - but as you say you only get it with the Adaptive Lighting System. I fail to follow this logic.
But the thread-opener is obviously from Belgium, so I assume (hope) that the LR 2 outfit in Belgium is the same as in Germany.
YF

I hope it's the same too then - and yes I'm in Belgium so it's a left hand drive model (when I get it) I hope it's got the lever because I go across the channel back to the Uk regularly. It'll get checked first thing when I pick up that car - hopefully in about 10 days time. Thumbs Up

Post #14387 19th Feb 2008 5:48 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>