Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Technical (Noise From The Rear Of My Freelander 2)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Albert E

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey
Not mechanical its tyres!

Dealer insisted it is tyre noise and normal. Bear in mind that they have changed a bearing and the rear diff for the same noise so why didn't they say this first? They have to justify these very expensive repairs to LR who I am sure won't be pleased if the know the full story.
Went back again as noise still there and they road tested said "tyre noise"
They said because they had done this road test and there was nothing wrong they were entitled to charge me, but for goodwill they would waive the charges. I didn't get where I am today by being sensible!

Post #149132 21st Jul 2012 3:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dovski

Anyone had a go at replacing the pinion bearing themselves? The nut torque is 250Nm and the test for rotational torque of the pinion post fit is to be 1.2Nm or so..very specific.

Can the bearings be drifted/pressed out easily?
Are the tools really needed?
What size socket needed for the nut?

cheers
dov
Big Cry

Post #149148 22nd Jul 2012 9:12 am
russben

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

I've got a similar noise. I had the low level differential bearing repair done but the noise is still there. It's more noticeable at just under 30mph & around 50mph. It sounds like a 'whirring' noise. Dealer had the car for 2 days & say it is tyre noise. Strangely the tyres had 12000 miles on them before the noise started & still have 6mm tread left. It doesn't sound like tyres to me. I'm keeping my ears out for the noise getting worse because it's still under warranty. Neutral Poke it, Poke it, make it do it again!!

Gone - 2008 Freel2 HSE Santorini Black
Hello - 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 HSE Santorini Black

Post #149239 23rd Jul 2012 6:29 pm
razmabaz

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

I had the same problem.... dealer repaired the diff bearing, etc but the noise remained - albeit reduced. Replaced the tyres which still had around 5mm of tread remaining but the noise disappeared - along with a considerable sum from my bank account!

Still, I have luxury, noise free motoring now Shocked Freelander 1 TD4 HSE - gone, 2 weeks after the Cat.Converter!
Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto MY08 - Santorini black

Post #149269 24th Jul 2012 7:55 am
athelstan

razmabaz wrote:
Replaced the tyres which still had around 5mm of tread remaining but the noise disappeared -
I have luxury, noise free motoring now Shocked

razmabaz
May I ask - what brand of tyres and size did you fit to secure noise free motoring as her Ladyship has always complained about her noisy summer tyres - the factory fitted Goodyear Wranglers Sad

Interestingly, the Continental Winter snow tyres that I sourced for her have never emitted any undue intrusive tyre/road noise Very Happy

Post #149272 24th Jul 2012 8:43 am
razmabaz

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

athelstan wrote:

razmabaz
May I ask - what brand of tyres and size did you fit to secure noise free motoring as her Ladyship has always complained about her noisy summer tyres - the factory fitted Goodyear Wranglers Sad

Interestingly, the Continental Winter snow tyres that I sourced for her have never emitted any undue intrusive tyre/road noise Very Happy

Pirelli Scorpion Verde Freelander 1 TD4 HSE - gone, 2 weeks after the Cat.Converter!
Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto MY08 - Santorini black

Post #149277 24th Jul 2012 9:36 am
athelstan

Thanks razmataz

Post #149288 24th Jul 2012 12:06 pm
EYorkshire

If I may add my two penn'orth,
My car came with 17" Goodyear Wranglers from new and between the speeds of 20-35mph the noise was always a concern. It was best described as a 'whining' varying in pitch accompanied by a noise like the constant droning of an aeroplanes jet engine in flight and after some peoples rear diff problems, I got a little paranoid thinking I also had a bearing problem.

After 20,000 miles I saw a bargain on the bay for some 18" HSE wheels that were shod with 'Pirelli Scorpion Zero's' and what a difference, the whine had disappeared and the whole ride was quieter.
The suspected diff bearing or wheel bearing was all down to the wranglers.

Post #149456 26th Jul 2012 7:42 am
athelstan

EY
The factory Goodyear Wranglers on her ladyship's FL2 are very noisy - at any speed - if anything they get louder as road speed increases. To undertake a long road trip you really do need to play some music otherwise the tyre noise will litterally "drive" you mad.

So when the time comes for change - despite the Goodyear's excellent wear n grip performance - they've got to go.

Post #149472 26th Jul 2012 11:26 am
Albert E

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

LR customer services paid for suspension geometry check and two new tyres on my car. Dealer said that an exact match for the Wrangler all-weather M&S tyres are not now made, but they were able to find a matching pair in a tyre depot. Which I entirely agree is the only way to do a proper comparison. Initial results are good but they said to see what happens after more mileage.
This may be interesting to note as to why they no longer manufacture an exact match.
Marshalls of Bedford were the dealers, and they have been very helpful and co-operative even though I did not buy from them.
Just a reminder-previous dealer had changed bearing and complete diff. to try and cure the whining. I didn't get where I am today by being sensible!

Post #150849 11th Aug 2012 6:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mole

United Kingdom 

If the diff is making the noise is it OK to leave (I am not worried about the noise) or should it be attended to? What is likely to happen if left alone?
Another decision to think about as to whether to change vehicles and still consider a 13 model year F2! mole

Post #150851 11th Aug 2012 6:53 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I read this with interest as I have never noticed any undue noise from Goodyear Wrangler tyes on any of our cars. Even changing from Pirelli Scorpion Zero tyres to the wranglers there was no noticable increase in noise.

Is there a bad batch of wranglers going around Question (no pun intended) Laughing ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #150855 11th Aug 2012 7:42 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Could be - I bought mine (also from Marshalls in Bedford, coincidence) fitted with Wranglers, and since it already had a brand new Wrangler on the spare I bought three more when the time came to change. I'm sure the new ones are noisier than the originals. My tyre man says that although the pattern etc may be the same, tyres are upgraded all the time and so the rubber composition and performance may vary on apparently similar tyres.

Post #150879 11th Aug 2012 10:45 pm
russben

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

Mine's on Grabber UHPs, which were noticeably quieter than the Wranglers previously fitted. I'm still monitoring the noise which definitely sounds like a bearing at just under 30mph. Poke it, Poke it, make it do it again!!

Gone - 2008 Freel2 HSE Santorini Black
Hello - 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 HSE Santorini Black

Post #151131 14th Aug 2012 5:21 pm
Charly7

Scotland 
Noise from rear diff?

My 59 HSE , 24K has started making a whining drone from the rear, its' still under warranty till December thank goodness .

It will be repaired (diff) when the parts arrive in 4 weeks time ! I am assuming they are running out of the parts due to the number of Freelanders with this problem Shocked Hopefully they use better quality bearings etc. and dont use the same materials previously and expect the same to happen when my warranty runs out? Might be worth taking out an extended warranty methinks Confused

Post #156256 2nd Oct 2012 3:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>