Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Fuel protest brewing......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
taztastic

England 

Maltesers at £2.50 a bag, watch people walking out with their arms full, coffee at nearly £3 and its rubbish stuff, it all adds up.

Hmm 7p a litre, have a think about how many pumps/cars and average amount spent in each, I reckon you can get to £300 an hour profit on the fuel taking into account the pumps are not in constant use.

Cant understand Todhills, didnt make sense, was it a cock up along the line or just expansion? We must pass each other quite often with your trips up and down AD?

Post #137346 22nd Mar 2012 10:59 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

The thing I object to most is that we have to pay VAT on the Duty they add to the fuel prices. Confused

Talk about taxing a tax Big Cry 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #137347 22nd Mar 2012 11:20 pm
ad210358

England 

taztastic wrote:
Maltesers at £2.50 a bag, watch people walking out with their arms full, coffee at nearly £3 and its rubbish stuff, it all adds up.

Hmm 7p a litre, have a think about how many pumps/cars and average amount spent in each, I reckon you can get to £300 an hour profit on the fuel taking into account the pumps are not in constant use.

Cant understand Todhills, didnt make sense, was it a cock up along the line or just expansion? We must pass each other quite often with your trips up and down AD?

I wondered if there had been some sort of cock up also, it seemed a long time for it to be closed, it had been closed for over a month and the refurb going on and then ripped up the forecourt and had the tanks out.

Haven't been over the border since the middle of Febuary, come June and I will be up there more or less every week till the end of August.

Post #137348 22nd Mar 2012 11:30 pm
LRCRAZY321

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

bigalf1961 wrote:
82 pence in tax per ltr of fuel Big Cry plus what the greedy fuel companies make i would go one better boy cot all petrol stations except supermarket for a couple of weeks might make them take notice that folks are getting fed up as for a london fuel protest at the time of the olympics Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
lol we are all being shafted big style in the land of the free here sport,basically if you are white,british, employed,solvent then you are treated like a leper,if on the other hand you sneek into this country on the back of a truck are a thief mugger or murderer you have more rights full stop,thats why we brits are all trying to get into your country!!!!,just to add I AM NOT A RACIST SO F… O..BEFORE YOU START MOANING…….. Sad 57 tambora flame SE mud flaps,side strips,twin s/roofs,18"HSE wheels,courtesy lights on w/mirrors

58 saab 93 convertible vector sport 1.9 TTid 180

Post #137355 23rd Mar 2012 7:05 am
athelstan

So you've all had a few days ranting about the price of fuel, its duty, its VAT, my 73% post (which some of you entirely missed the point of that post) "cheap gas" indeed - nothing's cheap if its retail price increases over 18% year on year. You have discussed UK fuel retailing, its efficient refining and distribution logistics, shell suits and foreigner's undermining the fabric of British society, and the price of unpalatable chocolate.

However no one's ventured to propose what they think is a reasonable price to pay for a litre of fuel on the isle of Britain. Reasonable, that is being fair to all of those businesses in the production and supply chain, plus a contribution to UK Treasury income.

And, no one has commented on how the Treasury is going to make up for the huge loss of "income" currently garnered from the current levels of fuel Duty & VAT, without which vast sections of education, health, fire, police, prisons, judiciary, customs, immigration, defence, roads, rail, bus and pensions etc etc would have to be savagely cut (beyond that which the Chancellor has already done so and is proposing to do so in the next 12mths.

So what price fuel - and - suggestions for raising the duty/ tax shortfall elsewhere without punitively punishing one sector of society in favour of another Question

Last edited by athelstan on 23rd Mar 2012 8:34 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #137361 23rd Mar 2012 8:32 am
EYorkshire

It's simple, the country needs to recover and for that to happen, we must pay for that recovery. I dislike the Tories immensely but accept that we the public have to pay for that to happen, let's hope their strategy is right.
The Tories blame the Labour government before it but it went back farther than that, Maggie sowed the seeds of destruction and successive governments inherited the mess.
Supermarkets are not cheap because they are nice people, they can afford to subsidise the fuel by conning everyone with their 3 for 2 strategies so you end up walking out after spending twice as much as you intended when you walked in. They are the biggest con artists going.

Post #137362 23rd Mar 2012 8:34 am
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

yes but if you boycot the main fuel stations it may make them think that joe public has had enough of price rises after all you dont here them complaining to the goverment about increces in fuel duty, why has diesel gone up in price by approx 2/3 pence per ltr just b4 the budget this is happening more regular now is this the main fuel companies getting there little bit out of us as well Question rainy-city
xs

Post #137363 23rd Mar 2012 8:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
taztastic

England 

Boycotting fuel stations will have little or no effect, during the boycott their profits will fall, as soon as it is over, everyone drives to the pumps and fills up again.

I drove form Heathrow to Preston yesterday, left at 13:00 thinking I would get a good run back, my speed over the whole 240 miles averaged 50, only 8 of those miles are non motorway, such was the volume of traffic at what should be a quiet period of the day.

Before Xmas the roads seemed notably quieter, people avoiding travelling and saving, I guess for Xmas edition boxes of Maltesers, now we are in March, 4 months later and the roads are as busy as ever. The government are keeping low profile, the price increase keeps their revenue healthy and the oil companies get their profits. We gripe as always, no change there, and begrudgingly send the numbers on the pump hurtling towards £100.

The car manufacturers produce fuel efficient cars, electric cars and all sorts of weird and wonderful ideas are being bandied about, what do we do, we dont buy these cars, partly because they are very expensive, no, we gripe and fill our gas guzzlers, the signal this must send is that we are prepared to do this.

So, boycotting is not the answer, it only ultimately only disrupts the lives of the people who are boycotting, the nett result for the treasury and oil companies, is they get their money.

I don't have a solution but I'm hanging onto my Land Rover bike, just in case...........

Post #137365 23rd Mar 2012 9:25 am
Landynut

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Land Rover should make more fuel efficient cars. I am still disappointed with sub 30 mpg from our Frelander SD4 auto, albeit on local journeys. I get 31 mpg from the Evoque SD4 auto on a 20 mile journey each day in light traffic. No where near the manufacturers numbers. My TDV8 would only do 22mpg, partly why I traded it in.

Oil companies generate a large amount of tax revenue for the country and are subject to Supet Corporation Tax. The total tax contribution by the E&P sector was £30bn in 2010/11. Which is over 5% of he total tax contribution and amounts to 16% of Corporation Tax. It may be big business but it generates a lot of revenue for Uk plc, and helps counter the huge budget deficit we all face.

I would rather not spend so much on fuel, but if we don't pay taxes on transport it will need to be raised in another way.....and that could be worse for a lot of people who can I'll afford to pay more tax.. 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury Corris Grey
2010 Freelander SD4
1997 Defender 90 XD Wolf (ex Ghurkas)
1991 Defender County 110 V8
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance

Post #137373 23rd Mar 2012 10:10 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

If fuel prices were reduced people would travel more so would buy more fuel plus if people have a little more money in their pocket they may go on daytrips etc so will be boosting tourism and other industries (more tax for the government). I wish the government would give this country a break and knock say 10p off the fuel just to see if they will in reality lose out.

And as for minimarts - worst idea ever, how many times have you been waiting behind a car at the pumps only to see the driver arrive back to their car after ten minutes with twenty carrier bags of shopping Evil or Very Mad

Post #137409 23rd Mar 2012 3:48 pm
ad210358

England 

LRCRAZY321 wrote:
bigalf1961 wrote:
82 pence in tax per ltr of fuel Big Cry plus what the greedy fuel companies make i would go one better boy cot all petrol stations except supermarket for a couple of weeks might make them take notice that folks are getting fed up as for a london fuel protest at the time of the olympics Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
lol we are all being shafted big style in the land of the free here sport,basically if you are white,british, employed,solvent then you are treated like a leper,if on the other hand you sneek into this country on the back of a truck are a thief mugger or murderer you have more rights full stop,thats why we brits are all trying to get into your country!!!!,just to add I AM NOT A RACIST SO F… O..BEFORE YOU START MOANING…….. Sad

Don't start me on this, there was a guy who worked near me was attacked by one of the co workers, he was arrested on a murder charge, the guy was from Albania where he had a record for supplying drugs and served time, he also lived in Switzerland and Sweden where he was twice arrested and also sectioned twice, was treated for psychiatric problems, he then managed to get into this country, he was given a job, a job that a Swedish employment agency gave him a refererance for and after only two weeks in this country he beheaded his boss with a cheese knife?

Post #137432 23rd Mar 2012 8:03 pm
Landynut

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

I agree BP stations with M&S is the worst, shopping and coffees irritate the hell out of me at fuel stations. I just want fuel! separate queues for fuel only please or do pay at the pump with £150 limit so we can fill up our tanks an xxxx off. 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury Corris Grey
2010 Freelander SD4
1997 Defender 90 XD Wolf (ex Ghurkas)
1991 Defender County 110 V8
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance

Post #137433 23rd Mar 2012 8:06 pm
ad210358

England 

I try not to use BP, if you take note of the fuel prices, on average BP will be he highest Thumbs Up

Post #137436 23rd Mar 2012 8:27 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

ad210358 wrote:
What I fail to see is if there is so little profit for the garages why do they seem to have so many refits, one forecourt near me has had four total renovations including knocking the shop down three times, new pumps, new tanks in the last fifteen years. The Shell garage at Todhills closed down the end of October and was still undergoing a major revamp last month, all new tanks gone in, it may be open now as the forecourt had been relaid but at 7p a litre they will need to shift a fair bit to get there expenditure back.

Todhills is now open, checked that as we past it Wednesday evening travelling to Worcester. Will stop there on the way back on Sunday as they are considerably cheaper than any other motorway services Thumbs Up ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #137440 23rd Mar 2012 9:27 pm
taztastic

England 

Motorway services....Moto are the self pro creating tossers that think it is acceptable to send threatening letters for staying over two hours.
I still use them, never ever buy anything but always leave lighter than when I stop. Thumbs Up

Post #137451 23rd Mar 2012 10:46 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>