« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > oil filter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
oil filter

Does anyone have information about the position and accessibility of the oil filter ? (TD4)
Is there any alternative oil filter make for the diesel or should I go for the genuine one ?

Post #6640 13th Sep 2007 8:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
location of oil filter

Hi Paul
the oilfilter of the TD4 is located in the middle of the engine up-front between air-ventilator and engine.
If you open the bonnet and use a torch you will see the rubber water pipe coming from the engine and going to the water cooler. It is difficult to see but if you position yourself right in the middle between the head lamps, you should be able to see the oil filter housing (black top slightly bended)
I have made an oil change after 2.500 km and you can access the oil filter only from underneath the engine.
You have to remove the metallic motor shield (6 screws) and you see the oil-tank (or whatever it is called)
To access the oil filter you have to have very thin arms and a very long screw nut (18') to be able to reach the top of the oil filter housing for unscrewing. Once this is managed, the rest is easy.
With regard to the oil filter itself it is only a filter-insert, which you can buy from Landrover or from any PSA dealer. However, to make sure that you do not loose your LR-guarantee, I would buy from Landrover (8,95 €)

YF

Post #6648 13th Sep 2007 11:33 am
Paul

Thanks for your fast and clear reply Yamaha-fan. I found it.

Bow down

Post #6651 13th Sep 2007 12:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Paul

Today I changed the oil and filter. LR should have given a shoehorn with this car !

Post #7946 4th Oct 2007 10:35 pm
scotster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

How long did it take Paul to change the filter?

Do I need special tools?

And do I need ramps or can you get under the car without them?

LR want to charge me 70 Euros for the change which seems a lot if it is (and it should be) a simple job.

Thanks. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #12848 9th Jan 2008 9:20 pm
Paul

Scotster, as usual the first time takes always longer... Most important is to take your time so you don't get (too) nervous. Ramps are certainly usefull (I used them) as it makes things easier: note that first the bottom cover plate must be removed (5 or 6 screws) . Next, as described above, it is possible to unscrew the filter with "normal" tools but as the play you have is very restricted you will certainly often switch between above and underneath the car thinking all the time: "it can't be worse working from the other side"... Big Cry

Anyway, half an hour should be enough and it is not a bad idea to wear working clothes with long (protecting)sleeves.
Oh yes: I have no idea how you should respect the advised tightening torque. Maybe by using the prohibitive OEM tool ? So be carefull not to overtight the plastic filter housing.
Good luck !

Post #12849 9th Jan 2008 10:04 pm
Paul

@scotster.
Apparently LR charge you 70 € for the job. Does this include the oil ?
If yes, 70 € for 6 l. of oil + oilfilter + work do not seem so expensive to me.

Post #12850 9th Jan 2008 10:10 pm
scotster

Hey thanks Paul!

I assume that the oil drain plug is obvious and easy to get to?

What tool do I need to undo the filter please? A long flat screwdriver? A socket wrench or what ?

Thanks again!

Now I need to ask the wife if I can use her baking trays for the draining of the old oil Rolling Eyes '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #12851 9th Jan 2008 10:12 pm
scotster

€70 Did not include the oil!

Just the filter and labour. I am buying the oil myself as recommeded by YF. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.

Post #12852 9th Jan 2008 10:14 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Scotster,
the main problem for the oil-filter change is the very limited space to unscrew the oil filter housing.
What you need is a very long (min. 50 cm) 19" or 20" wrench which top is bent by 90°, as otherwise you can not unscrew (loosen) the oil filter top. Once the oil filter top is loose, you can unscrew it by hand.
Alternatively, ask your wife to do the job, if she has thin arms.

YF

Post #12863 10th Jan 2008 8:17 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1