Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Off Road GPS application
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
W.D.C.A.P.H.

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

alex_pescaru wrote:
W.D.C.A.P.H. wrote:
Hi Alex, don't supose you could make this work on a Garmin Nuvi 1390 ?

I've designed the application only for 800x480 screen resolutions.
Your GPS has a 480x272 screen resolution. Sorry...

No worries mate. Shame, as it looks a superb bit of kit Thumbs Up We Don't Care About Pot Holes !!

Post #68069 8th May 2010 6:07 pm
alex_pescaru

vibecy,
1. Yes, the filename is "navi.cfg".
2. I've seen that feature of the OziExplorer, but I wasn't interested in implementing something like that. A bitmap map needs to be scaled to properly overlay on the coordinates grid and I didn't have the time to do an additional application for this. I was only interested in memorizing a track in the wilderness for proper trackback. And a set of waypoints.
3. Any COM port can be opened on any speed. But the GPS hardware of our units broadcast the NMEA sentences on a rate of 9600 bps. So the COM1 port - where the GPS hardware is connected - needs to be opened with a baud rate of 9600 to match the broadcasted data.
4. It is normal for the program to be restarted if you don't activate the handbrake. It is the system way to block your access to other functions when driving. The OS watches to see if the NAVI.EXE process is active and, if not, it launches it. This, as long as the handbrake is released. If the handbrake is ON, then it didn't launch it again and again and it stays out when exited.
The message with COM1 already in use is given by my application because the OS tries to launch the NAVI.EXE again, when it is already running and it already "seized" the ownership of the COM1 port. There is something fishy about your unit... I didn't get that message at all.

Post #68078 8th May 2010 8:10 pm
Dropbear

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Zermatt Silver

Alex,
Thanks very much for the update of the time zones! The clock now displays the correct time and since I exited in the clock mode it automatically starts with the clock display every time I start the Freelander ... brilliant Bow down Bow down
The only other “wish list” would be a way to run either Sygic street navigation or your off road navigation from the same SD card.

Post #68086 9th May 2010 3:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
alex_pescaru

Dropbear wrote:
The only other “wish list” would be a way to run either Sygic street navigation or your off road navigation from the same SD card.

Your wish is my command. Laughing

You will find here a complete package which contains:
- a shell with a clock and a selection for on-road or off-road navigation
- the off-road application
- the on-road application (only with english voices, no maps and unregistered)

The content of the archive must be unarchived in the root of a card, keeping the folder structure.
You can add other voices or maps on the on-road application corresponding folders. Pay attention that the name of the on-road application main executable is back to the original name.

From the shell's screen, you can get out on the unit's main menu by double clicking anywhere on the top of the screen - it isn't suggested this anywhere on the screen for design and "looks" purposes.

The shell uses the Land Rover type fonts to be in tone... Very Happy Beware the ones who wanted the LR's font: you can find the font on the navione folder. It is named foundry.ttf. You can import it in your applications/operating systems and use it as you'd like. I don't know if it carries any (c) on it...

The shell will remember where you are when switching off the car, so next time when you start the car, it comes back on the corresponding navigation program or directly on the shell's main screen, as screen saver, if you weren't on any navi program.

The off-road application doesn't have anymore the clock screensaver as now it is on the shell's main screen.
Also I've activated, for the off-road application, the font's "cleartype" option, for a better look.

PS1: The shell's clock is based on the device's clock, not on the GPS clock as before, so it will work even when there is no GPS signal present. LE: Now it automatically selects from system or GPS and more of that it autoadjust the system clock based on GPS clock when available (signaled with the centre dot: red - GPS not avail., GREEN - GPS clock available).
PS2: I've kept said "on-road application" in order to avoid (c) issues.

Last edited by alex_pescaru on 29th Jun 2011 8:34 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #68928 21st May 2010 12:25 pm
vibecy

Cyprus 

Alex,

Is the "on-road application" version 7.51 or 7.72?

Thanks,
vibecy

Post #68981 22nd May 2010 5:48 am
alex_pescaru

If you have the later one, you can change it in its folder. Take care that you may need to change some lines in the settings.ini configuration file in order to work properly.
I'm glad that you've solved your problem. Now you can enjoy your unit. Laughing

Post #68982 22nd May 2010 6:05 am
Dropbear

Hi Alex,
I been in Europe for the last six weeks on holidays and since my wife didn't allow me to take my Laptop I have only seen your latest creation today “WOW” Just what I had wished for Very Happy
The 24 hour flight from Heathrow has left me a bit tired so I am not going to try installing it until tomorrow, hopefully it will work for me.
A big thanks from Dropbear

Post #71160 28th Jun 2010 4:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dropbear

Alex,
It all work so brilliantly, thanks again! Thumbs Up
The only thing I am missing is the rear camera, have you seen these on ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Reverse-Camera-Land...3a5be7254a

The info from our Chinese manufacture doesn’t indicate if the camera input is PAL or NTSC so I am not sure if it would work. Have you installed a rear camera Question

Post #71643 7th Jul 2010 10:43 am
alex_pescaru

They've sent me a CCD camera together with the unit, but I didn't install it.
I am thinking of install it later, under the car, for off-road purposes.
They say that when the unit senses a video signal on the AUX input, it switches automatically to that input, showing the video signal. In a way makes sense, because when you switch to reverse, the camera is powered up, it supplies video signal and the unit switches to AUX. When exiting reverse gear, no power from reverse lights, no video signal and all returns to normal.
I believe, but I am not sure, that it will work with both NTSC and PAL standards. At least from the RMI Alchemy Au1250 datasheet (main multimedia processor of the unit), it can handle both.

Post #71760 9th Jul 2010 12:01 pm
Dropbear

I have installed a CCD rear camera from the following ebay seller
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Reverse-Camera-Land...3a5be7254a and I am happy to say that your advise was correct and it works.
Mission complete, on and off road satnav and a clock that I can read even with my polarised sunnies.
Thanks again from Dropbear

Post #72657 24th Jul 2010 8:43 am
Dropbear

Hi Alex,
A small problem!
When using the on-road sat nav the rear camera works when reverse is selected although there is a small delay. When I am on the “clock” screen, selecting reverse locks the unit requiring a reset or switching off the ignition. I have tried this 5-6 times with the same result every time. Sad
Any help appreciated!
Bow down

Post #72807 27th Jul 2010 9:29 am
alex_pescaru

As I've said, I didn't install the camera yet...
Until I'll do, I can't really say what is happening, because I didn't experience such a lock.

Post #72837 27th Jul 2010 5:13 pm
irinel_g

Romania 

Hello alex
1. I download it your wonderful screen saver with the watch and the selection of navigate programs. IT IS WORK BUT i can not fix the hour. If i fix the chele device our , your application after 1 min change the hour with +13 hour when the center of the clock is green. I sincronyze with sygic the device hour with the gps hour but, when I start your clock application, after 1 min the hour change automaticaly with +13 hour. CAN YOU HELP ME ?
2. The watch application not start if I don,t press navi key .The same on you?
Thank you very much

Post #107472 11th Jul 2011 9:32 pm
alex_pescaru

1. The application synchronizes the system clock with GPS clock, that is with the GMT.
If current time differs from the correct time, it means that the time zone is not set correctly in the operating system, which is a WinCE.
Launch the CE Commander by double click in the bottom right part of the screen when in clock page and go to Control Panel and set the correct Time Zone and Daylight Saving, like in any Windows. The OS could be Chinesses, but icons, folders, buttons, check-boxes, etc.. are like in any Windows and sure you can handle.
By default, there is a shortcut to Control Panel just in the root of the OS main drive.

2. No, mine's working OK. The system has a wire that connects to the signal from the handbrake to automatically launch the navigation application when you release the handbrake. Probably the one who installed the system connected that wire to GND/chassis in order to allow you to play through menus any time. Otherwise you could only done that when the handbrake was pulled. Driving safety issues ...

Post #107484 12th Jul 2011 8:16 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12