Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Engine cutting out!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Hope you got your window closed in time Smile MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #102631 19th May 2011 2:06 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

Fantastic picture!

Post #102636 19th May 2011 3:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy131

United Kingdom 

No, Gill spent 4 hours cleaning the inside - while I was working away from home.

Not happy about the mud through the sun roof! Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #102640 19th May 2011 3:35 pm
alex_pescaru

That sensor (crankshaft sensor) is an inductive hall effect sensor.
It scans a small timing wheel with magnetic poles inside, attached to the crankshaft.
In this way, when the engine is spinning, the sensor behaves like a pulse generator.
In a specific position, that timing wheel has less one magnetic pole.
Therefore the engine ECU knows how to synchronize with the crankshaft and knows in any moment the position of the crankshaft.
So, all process being a magnetic one, the dirt doens't affect the functioning of the sensor.
In theory. But practice is another thing...
At my friend workshop, on other cars, I've seen that sometimes the disk is the culprit (they loose the magnetic imprint) and sometimes the sensor itself.

Post #102641 19th May 2011 3:52 pm
ad210358

England 

It was the disc/Relucter Ring on mine when I had a similar trouble, only differance being I had no warnings lights or messages displayed when it did it Question

Post #102648 19th May 2011 5:03 pm
alex_pescaru

When the engine ECU doesn't receive anymore impulses from the sensor, it stops the engine.
Then when you try to start it again, it doesn't start.
So you can easily miss the engine light, because when the engine is stopped and/or it doesn't start, there are a lot of lights on on the instruments... Very Happy
But an error code (DTC - P0336) is always logged on the engine ECU's memory.

Post #102662 19th May 2011 7:08 pm
ad210358

England 

The differance with mine Alex, it never actually came to a stop, it would just die and start again, according to the dealer NO codes were ever logged in the memory, this is apparantly is why it took them so long to get to the bottom of it.

Post #102676 19th May 2011 9:03 pm
alex_pescaru

My friend told me that he saw some time ago a case where the distance between the ring and the sensor was critical and up until he carefully adjust it, that car behaved quite erratically...
Usually there are several engine revolutions up until the ECU takes the decisions to halt the engine.
If your's doesn't meet this condition, then could be the cause of not logging the error...
Even though, several engine revolutions could pass quite unnoticed... You say that you felt the engine dying...
Who knows what other things happened there...

Post #102680 19th May 2011 9:13 pm
ad210358

England 

Alex, when it died as you accelerated away, the next thing that happened was your head being thrown forward and the feeling of your nose coming in to contact with the screen, then just as you thought impact with the screen was imminent, it would then start again and you would tear off with the feeling your head was going to end up on the back seat. Great fun it was not Evil or Very Mad

Post #102682 19th May 2011 9:31 pm
Nymagee_Boy

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Alaska White
Crankshaft Position Sensor - water ingress & corrosion

I am located in Australia's Northern Territory and regularly travel during the wet season (monsoon) on roads in the Kimberley of Western Australia and Northern Territory. Recently, my Freelander HSE TD4 MY08 suddenly stalled near home while driving locally in the city of Darwin, flashed the reduced engine performance (REP) message and refused to restart. I had the vehicle flat-topped to the local dealers of Port Darwin Motors because it is still within warranty and they have the Testbook/IDS diagnostic systems. Investigation of the diagnostics indicated a P0336 - Crankshaft position sensor (CSP) problem. On removal of the CSP the mechanic found that the sensor's thin pin terminals showed considerable corrosion. One would believe that because the CSP is located below the wading level (0.5m) it should be designed to cope with water ingress, or be designed as a sealed unit. Currently the CSP has a plug that fits into it, and, such a design easily leads for water to enter the plug and corrode the terminals. A new CSP sensor was fitted and the plug/sensor unit was taped up to stop water ingress as a way to stop water ingress in the future. This incident of corrosion of the terminal pins indicates a major design flaw and could be easily remedied by a sealed unit CSP with a long lead and its plug/terminal joint located higher in the engine bay.

I would recommend FL2 owners ensure that their CSP terminal pins are clean and that the sensor and its plug are sealed with electrical tape as way to stop water entering.

This was the first failure incident for my FL2 in 67,000 km and it was very annoying. If this had happened in an isolated location it would have required a very long tow into Darwin, commonly for my trips around 800 km. MY08 Freelander 2 HSE TD4
130K kms
Darwin, Northern Territory
Australia

Post #108743 29th Jul 2011 9:43 am
Nymagee_Boy

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Alaska White
Crankshaft Sensor - Terminal pins & plug corrosion

The FL2 TD4 again jolted and stalled, though no error recorded, and I suspected that the CSP Pins were clean and the socket had corrosion following dealership repair. I cleaned the small plug holes of the socket with tiny dental brushes and then used a "conductive grease "that I poked into the holes. In Australia there is a graphite grease called Korrode Kure for battery terminals and it will provide a conductive surface. Some electronic stores sell small tubes of Conductive Grease and these are black grease because of graphite, and this will work.
Again tape up the CSP and this should stop further corrosion. The CSP being below wading level and having a plug that allows ingress of water is a problem that will cause "a dead on the road vehicle" when least expected! MY08 Freelander 2 HSE TD4
130K kms
Darwin, Northern Territory
Australia

Post #115178 30th Sep 2011 12:53 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Where is this sensor? I've had mine in water and mud well up to the limit. No problems yet but I'd like to prevent them occurring.

Post #115203 30th Sep 2011 10:09 am
alex_pescaru

Post #115286 30th Sep 2011 9:01 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Thank's Alex. Bow down

Post #115301 1st Oct 2011 7:20 am
russben

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

philsh wrote:
npinks wrote:
Egr valves Confused

I asked LR about the EGR, as I get fumes in the cabin sometimes at standstill ,but they couldn't find any issues.

I had the same issue with fumes coming into the cabin. Searching under the bonnet I saw fumes/smoke coming from the top of the drivers side of the engine at the back. I could also hear a 'chuffing' sound. The dealers found a fuel injector was leaking so replaced all 4 under warranty. I've not had the fumes smell since. Very Happy

Take off the plastic engine cover and have a look for diesel oil moisture around the injectors. Poke it, Poke it, make it do it again!!

Gone - 2008 Freel2 HSE Santorini Black
Hello - 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 HSE Santorini Black

Post #115333 1st Oct 2011 3:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>