Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Engine cutting out!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue
Engine cutting out!!!

Last week, whilst cold, my car decided to flash up the message, "REDUCED ENGINE PERFORMANCE" and then stop Shocked , whilst I was driving slowly along a country lane. The engine then restarted without issue.

However, last night, I was driving to work. Engine was cold and I was accelerating along an 'A' road, doing around 50 mph. The car repeatedly started to lurch and flag up the same message. the problem didn't clear until it had reached operating temperature. It didn't stop on this occassion, but slowed down significantly.

Tried to book it in with an dealer, but they can't look before next wednesday Big Cry

Any ideas on what it could be, as I'm starting to get a sense of humour failure?? Crying or Very sad Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #93170 24th Feb 2011 6:13 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

fuel filter?, maybe blocked or maybe water in the bottom or even a faulty water sensor. or something completly unrelated At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #93172 24th Feb 2011 6:29 pm
philsh

chicken george wrote:
fuel filter?, maybe blocked or maybe water in the bottom or even a faulty water sensor. or something completly unrelated

Yeah I thought about the fuel filter, but then I guess it would cause constant issues?? I'm thinking it's a software problem / sensor, as you've said. It's weird how it only happen when the engine's cold. I don't know whether diesels have some kind of choke / cold start sensor, which may be the issue?? Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #93174 24th Feb 2011 6:44 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Egr valves Confused Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #93176 24th Feb 2011 6:57 pm
philsh

npinks wrote:
Egr valves Confused

I asked LR about the EGR, as I get fumes in the cabin sometimes at standstill ,but they couldn't find any issues. In fact thet never can find anything wrong - it's always a mystery with my car being the only one in history to ever have problems Twisted Evil

Could be linked though. I'm just hoping it behaves tonight, as I've got to use it until next wed. Got a 25 mile journey to work in a couple of hours and I find I'm hoping it'll keep going Crying or Very sad Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #93178 24th Feb 2011 7:01 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

DPF blocked?

Post #93184 24th Feb 2011 7:27 pm
philsh

snappa wrote:
DPF blocked?

No DPF on my car Confused Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #93185 24th Feb 2011 7:30 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Engine cutting out!!!

philsh wrote:
Last week, whilst cold, my car decided to flash up the message, "REDUCED ENGINE PERFORMANCE" and then stop Shocked , whilst I was driving slowly along a country lane. The engine then restarted without issue.

However, last night, I was driving to work. Engine was cold and I was accelerating along an 'A' road, doing around 50 mph. The car repeatedly started to lurch and flag up the same message. the problem didn't clear until it had reached operating temperature. It didn't stop on this occassion, but slowed down significantly.

Tried to book it in with an dealer, but they can't look before next wednesday Big Cry

Any ideas on what it could be, as I'm starting to get a sense of humour failure?? Crying or Very sad

Its a Black one of course, a friend had no end of trouble with his then changed to Grey, no problems at all now Laughing I was only wrong once and thats when I thought I was but wasnt.

2010 Freelander 2 XS Stornaway Grey
2010 Aston DBS Morning Frost
2010 Bentley Continental Brooklands Green

Post #93211 24th Feb 2011 9:48 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

sounds like fuel starvation, how long has the fuel filter been on there ?

Post #93214 24th Feb 2011 9:53 pm
jdubya

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Can you here the car hunting for fuel like it revs and drops in a couple of seconds
I had more or less the same problem a new fuel filter fixed the problem

Post #93219 24th Feb 2011 10:20 pm
philsh

The dealers told me they changed the fuel filter on the second service. The engine does feel as though it's being starved of fuel, but the fault is intermittent and only happens with a cold engine. It's been fine for the past couple of days, which is very odd. I know it'll rear it's ugly head again. Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #93272 25th Feb 2011 5:24 pm
philsh

the car is in the dealers at the moment. They've diagnosed the problem as the crankshaft sensor. This will be replaced in the morning. Thankfully nothing major, but still not good for a car under 4 years old Shocked Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #93932 2nd Mar 2011 5:40 pm
alextankl

Malaysia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

i have faced this similar problems for every 40,000km / 45,000km & have changed the crankshaft sensor twice. i heard from the chief mechanic of landrover service center in my country that the crankshaft sensor was located below the engine & can get dirty easily everytime taking freelander 2 offroad and the dirt / mud can damage the sensor. according to him, there is no way to wash / clean the sensor everytime we come back from offroad trip.

it's so dangerously because sometime when i tried to overtake a vehicle in front, the car tends to reduce its power performance and can stop the engine completely suddenly. Fans of Land Rover

Post #102499 18th May 2011 6:05 pm
philsh

I think we must be unlucky, as judging by the lack of comments on this post, it must be a rareity. Know what you mean about it suddenly cutting out though, as mine did the same with no warning!! Shocked Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #102503 18th May 2011 6:41 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Find it difficult to believe that a bit of dirt is going to Kill the crank sensor.
Have had ours in 18" of water several times, and got her very dirty without sensor problems - then again I will need to take the front bumper off this weekend to clean the mud out of the radiators Crying or Very sad

Click image to enlarge
[/img] Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #102629 19th May 2011 1:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>