Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Why are Macbooks so expensive?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Why are Macbooks so expensive?

I am considering getting a new laptop but why are the Macbooks so damn expensive?

Are they vastly superior and more reliable that PC's? From what I can see you don't get superior size hard drive or RAM for your money.

Also, how do Macs cope if someone emails you a microsoft word file? Apple seem to clash with everyone else's technology these days. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #109582 8th Aug 2011 6:28 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

So the chavs and CHP's don't buy them! It's an image thing!

Post #109584 8th Aug 2011 6:44 pm
taztastic

England 

MacBooks, or macs in particular seem to handle graphics better, on the whole both platforms have good points, depends entirely on what you want it to do.

I have always been a PC user, out of necessity, our x-ray software is only on PC, we use high end Dell XPS laptops which are not cheap, but have been reliable and sturdy.

Having said that, I am sat here with an Ipad2, the thing is superb, no problem with any office files, the only drawback it has for me, is the occasional lack of seeing "flash" content, also cannot upload to the gallery here?

If your a PC user, stick with it, or be prepared for some annoying differences to adjust to, also considering waiting as very soon, all PC/MAC will be touchscreen, the keyboard and mouse are relics.

Post #109585 8th Aug 2011 6:45 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I've been thinking the same, as I posted a while ago my laptop screen got damaged but at £100 to DIY repair on a 5+ yr old laptop I decided not to bother, so looked at MacBooks etc

Apple have a refurbished section were you can get one with 10\20% off, in the apple store at Sheffield I found the MacBook Air to be really nice but thought solid state drives were small, which would mean a storage pod been bought too, but more capable than a ipad2, as said gallery links/loading on here etc

Keeping thinking and looking for that deal Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #109593 8th Aug 2011 7:33 pm
trevd01

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black
Re: Why are Macbooks so expensive?

The Doctor wrote:

Also, how do Macs cope if someone emails you a microsoft word file? Apple seem to clash with everyone else's technology these days.

For a start if you have Microsoft Word on your Mac, you can use that, or in Apples own £14 Pages software, or in Google Docs.

Expensive-> cheap-> free

Or in a dozen + other ways. Trevor

'60 reg SD4 XS (long gone!)

Post #109600 8th Aug 2011 8:09 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

landy19840 wrote:
So the chavs and CHP's don't buy them! It's an image thing!

Why cant these two have macs?
 At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Last edited by chicken george on 8th Aug 2011 8:34 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #109606 8th Aug 2011 8:22 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Cos there not cool!

Post #109608 8th Aug 2011 8:29 pm
athelstan

I don't want to get into a PC v MAC ping pong match, so the following is only about my Apple experience so far:

My iBook is vintage 1991 G3 and has never malfunctioned and has never gone down in any viral attack. PC > MAC file sharing has not been a problem. Shortly I'm going to give it to my 7yr young daughter.

The battery is now dead and only last Saturday did I place an online order for an Apple replacement - yes one is available and only CHF59 delivered to my door - email confirmed despatch and delivery due in next 6 to 9 working days from HK.

Throughout the last 10yrs the iBook OS has been upgraded free by Apple from initially OS9 through to the present installation of OS 10.4.11 - no idea what feline creature that version is named after as is Apple's wont to name operating software after big cats.

The expiration of the battery has led to me yesterday to spec a new 27" iMac with all the whistles, plus a 2TB Time Capsule and the AppleCare Protection Plan. That lot here in CH tallies CHF2,600 or at today's FX rate GBP2,110. Now if that package is as durable and reliable as my current iBook I'll think that that is excellent value for money. Thumbs Up

Post #109620 8th Aug 2011 8:55 pm
parallax33

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue

I'm running a Macbook Pro 15" with i7 Quad Core processor and it gets used extensively in my business - Graphics, Website, Administration work.

I previously had the 2010 model and upgraded to this one at a cost of around £800 (was £1800 and something). It pays for itself in increased productivity and always starts up in the same time every time. I am running Microsoft Office 2010 with Outlook and there are absolutely no compatibility issues between Mac and PC documents.

I also have Windows 7 running in a Boot Camp partition and can access this at the same time as Mac OS using Parallels Desktop software. It has 750Gb HDD and backs up over wifi with my 1Tb hard disk through time machine. This runs continuously in the background incase I need to go back to a particular document history.

I would never go back to a PC and the buggy wait for it to do an update culture, and the Mac has far superior build quality and usability.

You will not regret getting a Mac

Thumbs Up 2012 DISCOVERY 4 GS AUTO ORKNEY GREY
2012 FREELANDER 2 SD4 GS AUTO BALTIC BLUE - GONE
2011 FREELANDER 2 TD4 GS MANUAL BALI BLUE - GONE

Post #109628 8th Aug 2011 9:15 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

You upgrade to a £1800 Mac for £800? Is that after selling yours or something Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #109632 8th Aug 2011 9:27 pm
parallax33

Yeah, I bought it expecting to keep it for 3 years, then they doubled the speed of the processor so chopped my £1650 Mac in on eBay for £1000 then upgraded to the quad. 2012 DISCOVERY 4 GS AUTO ORKNEY GREY

Post #109634 8th Aug 2011 9:45 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

So they do hold there money, I was chatting to a guy at apple support on the phone, he upgraded his every year, each year got a top spec selling his old one and it cost him £100-£200 a year to do so, so he said

Thought it might have been a bit if bull but maybe not if you account for his staff discount and selling via eBay etc Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #109636 8th Aug 2011 9:52 pm
parallax33

Yeah they normally hold. MY11 was quite an upgrade. Specs are massively different so I had to put it at a low enough price to be attractive to buyers. It had paid for itself so wasn't too much of a big deal. 2012 DISCOVERY 4 GS AUTO ORKNEY GREY

Post #109637 8th Aug 2011 9:54 pm
greengiant

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Mac for me, I have an intel Macbook Pro for home and at I work I have mainly iMacs, my company is in graphic design.
My 9 year old Macbook is now with one of my daughters and still going strong apart from the battery is knackered, but the batteries can be found on eBay for about £25.
Time Machine is a godsend, saved hours of work sometimes.
PC laptops are cheaper but you will probably by two or three of those in the lifetime of your Mac.
Microsoft Office is available on the Mac, or if you don't want to spend money on office download Neo Office and it will open and work with Word and Excel documents etc.
Look at the launch videos for OS Lion and iCloud on the Apple site for what has/or is coming up. 09 FL2 HSE auto Lago Grey
71 Triumph Stag 3L
68 NGTCV8 3.5L

Post #109641 8th Aug 2011 11:23 pm
Dungenessbloke

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

Swapped to Macs 12 years ago and never regretted it. Currently have two iMacs and a Powerbook the only problem I have ever had was a HD failure but Apple arranged for courier pick up to one of their repairers and it was back in three days.

With regard to MS Office compatibility I use Open Office and it works fine and is free. http://www.openoffice.org/

I don't miss the Blue Screen of Death. Whistle Andy

Post #109644 9th Aug 2011 7:13 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>