Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Why are Macbooks so expensive?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Dungenessbloke

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

Swapped to Macs 12 years ago and never regretted it. Currently have two iMacs and a Powerbook the only problem I have ever had was a HD failure but Apple arranged for courier pick up to one of their repairers and it was back in three days.

With regard to MS Office compatibility I use Open Office and it works fine and is free. http://www.openoffice.org/

I don't miss the Blue Screen of Death. Whistle Andy

Post #109645 9th Aug 2011 7:14 am
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

Guess it depends on what you wanno do and are capble off using. I use PC-version-only software which locks me to PCs. If you don't have that issue and use a ot of other apple stuff and are prepared to learn the new way of using the OS I guess apples are a good alternative.

I probably, as a programmer, by an apple one of these days as I have a few ideas for iphone apps I wanna try out. Only thing holding me back atm is the cost and if I'd make enough money back from the apps to repay it.

As an entrepreneur I always think that way: if and how fast I get the investment back...

My 6 year old, intesively used DELL inspiron still does all the necessary jobs without hesitation so don't have yet felt the need for a replacement. As I only seldomly turn it of and keep it in sleep mode most of the time, it starts up fine but I do agree it takes a hell of a long time te boot it up. Battery is done however and I'd buy a 13" or max 15" next time. A 17" laptop as I have now is more like a desktop then an actual laptop as it's to big to move around. One can always build a docking setup if needed.

If I were new to computers I'd go for linux, but that is a personal choise as it suits the business I'm in. User interfaces on linux are hardly great, not to mention plug and play stuff, but it's dead cheap and fast to use.

On a Mac you can run OSX, windows and linux at the same time using either multi-boot or virtually as for a PC I don't think OSX will run on it.

Post #109654 9th Aug 2011 9:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

athelstan wrote:

The expiration of the battery has led to me yesterday to spec a new 27" iMac with all the whistles, plus a 2TB Time Capsule and the AppleCare Protection Plan. That lot here in CH tallies CHF2,600 or at today's FX rate GBP2,110. Now if that package is as durable and reliable as my current iBook I'll think that that is excellent value for money. Thumbs Up

You won't regret it!

I have had Macs for the past 20 years for work. They are great machines and I am lucky enough not to have any problems with them.
I currently use an iMac 27" with an i7 processor for the past year now and it's just brilliant.

The Doctor - this may help you:

http://www.apple.com/au/why-mac/its-compatible/

Yes, they are more costly than most PC's, but they not only look great on your desk but Apple actually make them fun to use also.

As Apple produce the software AND hardware, it all just works well together.
There are so many people I know that have made the switch (PC to MAC) that they say they will never go back to using a PC again.

Post #109659 9th Aug 2011 9:58 am
parallax33

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue

Thinking that most PC users would feel that this is an expensive change, because in monetary terms its huge. In value terms its common sense.

Ask yourself why we always hear Mac owners saying they made the change and wouldnt go back, but I'm yet to hear of a PC owner that changed from Mac to a PC and said they would never go back to a Mac.

There must be a reason for that Thumbs Up 2012 DISCOVERY 4 GS AUTO ORKNEY GREY
2012 FREELANDER 2 SD4 GS AUTO BALTIC BLUE - GONE
2011 FREELANDER 2 TD4 GS MANUAL BALI BLUE - GONE

Post #109665 9th Aug 2011 10:17 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

The reason is the Mac to Pc owner can't get online to say he'll never go back Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #109667 9th Aug 2011 10:26 am
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Once you go Mac, you don't go back Wink

Post #109671 9th Aug 2011 11:06 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

the wife heard that saying in scotland once Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #109673 9th Aug 2011 11:40 am
athelstan

I believe that possibly the main reason why folks don't go back to a PC is superior "Platform Stability".

As mentioned by AiiEEX; Apple design & build both the hardware and software platforms, this ensures (as much as is humanly possible with any manufactured item) that there is a higher synergy (i.e functional stability) between them.

PC 's are manufactured by a plethora of companies, some highly skilled in those processors and others less so, but importantly, they are all trying to handshake their individual esoteric and dissimilar hardware components with generally the same common Microsoft one-stop-suits-all operating system. That naturally induces "fit" problems. Those fit problems also have a propensity to enable the illegal viral access to one's computing system.

It is akin to accepting that the human frame can be condensed into a single geometry of average neck, arm, breast, leg, waist, hip, etc.. Not possible. That's why a bespoke tailored suit or dress will always adorn the client better than M&S's best efforts.

Off the peg PC or a tailored MAC - it really is no contest. And so it is reasonable to expect to pay a little more for a bespoke product.

Post #109674 9th Aug 2011 11:43 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Thanks guys, most helpful.

Does anyone know what you can do with macs when you encounter a file that needs flash player or PDF etc. Apples ongoing battle means they don't work on my iPhone so is there a way around this? LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #109683 9th Aug 2011 1:03 pm
EYorkshire

OS X 10.4 - 10.6, Flash, Adobe PDF not a problem, downloads are available from Adobe.

Post #109684 9th Aug 2011 1:11 pm
zone30

EYorkshire wrote:
OS X 10.4 - 10.6, Flash, Adobe PDF not a problem, downloads are available from Adobe.

On the computer: yes
On iPhone: no

Apple bans flash from iPhone and iPad to protect their appstore. On would be able to build apps in flash otherwise which can be randomy used circumventing the appstore. This would mean less income for apple.

Post #109685 9th Aug 2011 1:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Scott123

Doctor,
I think u will find the MAC is much better in the snow than the PC........
Seriously I bought an apple MAC about 14 months ago as a replacement for my PC. Never had a virus, still runs fast, no problems with word or excel, never regretted it. Wife finds it a little irritating because some of the shortcuts or navigation is a little different to her works PC but she is still able to transition from one to the other if she needs to print something off and is using the MAC a little more often now. In terms of cost, there is little difference between a top quality well specified PC and the Apple MAC although you can buy cheap PC/laptops
Scott

Post #109686 9th Aug 2011 2:03 pm
EYorkshire

zone30 wrote:
EYorkshire wrote:

On the computer: yes
On iPhone: no

Apple bans flash from iPhone and iPad to protect their appstore. On would be able to build apps in flash otherwise which can be randomy used circumventing the appstore. This would mean less income for apple.

I know, the original question by the OP was ' considering getting a new laptop', like the good boy I am, I am keeping on topic and answered that adobe has no problem with OS X.
Why are we talking about iphone and ipad?

Post #109691 9th Aug 2011 3:07 pm
zone30

The Doctor wrote:
Thanks guys, most helpful.

Does anyone know what you can do with macs when you encounter a file that needs flash player or PDF etc. Apples ongoing battle means they don't work on my iPhone so is there a way around this?

Message before

Post #109696 9th Aug 2011 3:29 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

not heard bout the vulnerability in an Macbook laptop battery that could allow a hacker to set fire to your laptop ?? Twisted Evil http://pixelsmashers.com/?p=10813

In all seriousness I think that Apple's generally are in a league of there own and whilst you get plenty of skeptics, users of the apple all say how good they are. I for one would not hesitate moving to an apple (and my background is very much Microsoft) if it were not for the money. Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #109709 9th Aug 2011 5:46 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>