« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > List of recommended and suitable motor oils for FL2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi Waaxh03
the comments of the Castrol WEB-side are typical for a big sales organisation, as Castrol DO NOT produce their own oils, they are (only) a marketing and sales organisation procuring their products from third party manufacturers.
So Castrol is hiding behind what Ford (or Landrover) are recommending. You are aware that Castrol is offering a motor oil as per Ford norm 913 A/B (the Castrol A1 oils), and in my humble opinion, such oils are rubbish.
Mobil, Shell, Aral and even Castrol offer much better motor oils for our TD4 engines, and if you use such oils you can be pretty sure that your costly engine will last a very long time if treated as you should.

YF

Post #11771 15th Dec 2007 6:08 pm
elephant

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi Y-F
While looking at the Mobil 1 UK site I came across Mobil 1 Fuel Economy. This oil seems to tick all the boxes and refers back to the Ford 913A/B Norm so I am still confused:

http://www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lubes/PDS/..._0W-30.asp

Mobil 1 Fuel Economy 0W-30 is made with a proprietary blend of ultra high performance synthetic basestocks
fortified with Supersyn Antiwear Technology, the most advanced additive system available today. Mobil 1 Fuel
Economy 0W-30 is uniquely designed to provide unsurpassed levels of protection, especially at start-up in the
coldest environments for reduced engine wear. The oil meets all of the industry standards for fuel economy,
helping to save fuel and reducing CO2 exhaust emissions.Specifications and Approvals
Mobil 1 Fuel Economy 0W-30 meets or exceeds the 0W-30
following industry specifications:
API SL/SJ/CF
ACEA A1/B1
A5/B5
Mobil 1 Fuel Economy 0W-30 is recommended for 0W-30
use in applications requiring:
Ford WSS M2C913-A
Ford WSS M2C913-B
Ford WSS M2C920-A.

Post #11850 17th Dec 2007 10:10 pm
scotster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi YF.

Quicck Question.

My FL2 (TD4 with NO DPF) has just hit 1000 miles and I'm taking it to the service centre next week. I will also get them to change the oil and filter. From the list below (your list) are there any oils that you would highly recommend? Even if they cost a bit more.

ACEA A3/B3 (oil specification for modern petrol engines and diesel engines WITHOUT DPF)
-Mobil 1 syntron 0W40 or 5W40
-Mobil Super M 15W40
-Mobil Super S 10W40
-Mobil Syst S 5W40
-Mobil Turbo Diesel 0W40
-Castrol Dynatec 5W40
-Castrol GTX 5 Magnatec 10W40
-Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5W40
-Castrol Magnatec 5W40 A3/B4
-Castrol Edge 0W30
-Castrol WIV Longlife 3 5W30
-Castrol GTX7 Dynatec 5W40

Thanks again for your help. Smile '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #12234 28th Dec 2007 1:10 pm
scotster

..and while I'm here.

How much oil will I need for an oil change?

I cant seem to find it in the manual.

Thanks. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #12252 28th Dec 2007 5:31 pm
yamaha-fan

Hi Scotster,

you need 5,8 litre of motor oil with oil filter change.
I would use either the Mobil 1 0W40 syntec or 5W40 (first choice) or the Castrol RS Edge 0W40.

Happy New Year 2008

YF

Post #12397 31st Dec 2007 12:43 pm
scotster

Hi YF...or anyone who knows the answer!

Sorry to be a Pain in the Ass.. Rolling Eyes but you talk about Mobil 1 0W40 syntec or 5W40 and in your list I assume you mean -Mobil 1 syntron 0W40 or 5W40??

Which is the correct name please?

Also, if I go to the UK Mobil site and do a search on Mobil automotive oils I get

http://search.exxonmobil.com/ledr/query_ad...&ty9=w

No real obvious choice but maybe assume its this one? Mobil 1 0W-40?

Any help welcome!!

Thanks again.
Scott. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.

Post #12647 5th Jan 2008 10:44 pm
scotster

Hello again

In Google we trust...

A little more time on Google gave me this: http://www.teessideautotech.co.uk/acatalog..._Oils.html

1st item down or the turbo diesel one?? Th

Any questions on mountain bikes just give me a shout.. Laughing

S '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.

Post #12649 5th Jan 2008 10:53 pm
yamaha-fan

Hi Scotster,

unfortunately Mobil 1 oils ar not always Mobil 1 oils!
Unfortunately further that dependent on the country (of manufacure or sale) such oils were sometimes named "syntron", syntec or supersyn".
In Germany and I believe in Europe such Mobil 1 oils are now uniformly called "supersyn".
So the Mobil 1 0W40 sypersyn should now be your choice. Even if you drive the TD4 I would stick to the
normal Mobil 1 0W40 or better 5W40 supersyn (but nor everywhere offered).
Sorry for the mix-up but the oil market is highly competitve, and the same products will get new names frequently, if the seller believes that this may benefit his sales.

YF

Post #12659 6th Jan 2008 10:16 am
builder

England 

[quote="scotster"]Hi YF.

Quicck Question.

My FL2 (TD4 with NO DPF) has just hit 1000 miles and I'm taking it to the service centre next week. I will also get them to change the oil and filter.

Hi scotster.
May I ask why you are taking the car back to the service centre after doing only 1000 miles. when I asked on another thread at what stage you need to return the car for it's first service I was told 15000 miles or 12 months so I assume you are going back for other work to be done.

Post #12700 6th Jan 2008 8:14 pm
scotster

Hi Builder.

I'm taking the fail to start issue that has a dedicated thred elsewhere.

In any case others have advised replacing the normal oil with something better after running in.

If they will cahrge a lot for the oil and filter change Ill do it myself. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.

Post #12706 6th Jan 2008 10:04 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

scotster wrote:

Any questions on mountain bikes just give me a shout.. Laughing

S

Hi Scotster

I have a old Orange C16r MTB i am wondering what the tire pressures are

Wink Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #12707 6th Jan 2008 10:10 pm
builder

England 

scotster wrote:
Hi Builder.

I'm taking the fail to start issue that has a dedicated thred elsewhere.

In any case others have advised replacing the normal oil with something better after running in.

If they will cahrge a lot for the oil and filter change Ill do it myself.

Hope it all gets sorted quickly for you. Thumbs Up

Post #12710 6th Jan 2008 10:48 pm
yamaha-fan

Hi Builder,

even though the LR-manual does not require any oil change after the run-in-period of 1-2 thousand miles, and the first oil change is due after 20.000 (?) miles or 12 months, whatever comes earlier, I personally follow the recommendation of my trusted friend, who is an engine research & developement engineer with Mercedes Benz, and who opines that any new engine, even if produced with CAD to the highest standards, will show metal dusting during the first few thousand km. To avoid any negative impact on our valuable engines, the motor oil and the oil filter should be changed after 2 to 3.000 km.
Besides this and due to available information it may reasonably be assumed that the factory filled motor oil Landrover uses on our engines (ACEA A1/B1) does not conform to the latest and best motor oil standards nowadays available on the market. So in the best interest of caring for your engine, you do nothing wrong in changing your motor oil after the running-in-period or a little later for motor oils which meet the ACEA A 3/4 (petrol) or B 3/4 (diesel) standards.
For diesel engines with DPF the ACEA norm C 2/3 should be choosen.
But it is up to everyone personally what he or she thinks to be the right thing to do.

YF

Post #12734 7th Jan 2008 2:59 pm
scotster

Thanks again for your last post YF!
This thread must be driving you insane! Smile

On Saturday I will be buying 6 L of Mobil 1 Supersyn 0W40 from Halfords for £46 for the 5L and £13 for the 1L. I hope its worth it!

Just to confirm it looks like the right stuff it is pictured first in the list here: http://www.teessideautotech.co.uk/acatalog..._Oils.html

I can't find the 5W40.

Why do you recommend I use the normal rather than the Turbo Diesel version as you can see I run a TD4?

That is my last question - honest. Thumbs Up '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.

Post #12854 9th Jan 2008 11:20 pm
scotster

Thanks again for your last post YF!
This thread must be driving you insane! Smile

On Saturday I will be buying 6 L of Mobil 1 Supersyn 0W40 from Halfords for £46 for the 5L and £13 for the 1L. I hope its worth it!

Just to confirm it looks like the right stuff it is pictured first in the list here: http://www.teessideautotech.co.uk/acatalog..._Oils.html

I can't find the 5W40.

Why do you recommend I use the normal rather than the Turbo Diesel version as you can see I run a TD4?

That is my last question - honest. Thumbs Up '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.

Post #12855 9th Jan 2008 11:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>