Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Manual or Auto??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
ad210358

England 

If you talk to a dealer they will tell you that they only really have manuals because,
A: A customer has ordered it.
B: LR requests they have to have one as a Demonstrator.

Other than that they order Auto's as they sell better. One dealer told me that less than 10% of the Freelanders they sell are manual.

Post #87260 9th Jan 2011 10:47 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Captain Worm wrote:
without doubt the AUTO is the nicer drive. maybe the auto's you have driven have 'learn't' bad habbits (I have had a couple of rent cars like this as they are generally driven badly) or perhaps you've just not had time to get used to the FL2 auto as it does need some practice - just like a manual - to get it doing what you want Wink

Without doubt the manual is nicer drive. I don't buy into the bad habits business. I test drove one and have had several courtesy cars and I always end up wanting mine back asap.

Manual is much smoother and once you learn the gearbox you know where the power comes in best and when best to change gear. The stupid auto just holds onto a gear for too long and if you compare both in top gear at 70 with cruise control on, the manual revs less but no labouring. Perfect. The auto revs too much.

Based on facts rather than preference, unless towing and off roading is an issue, manual is better. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #87263 9th Jan 2011 11:00 pm
weirdfish

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Maybe we should have a Manual or Auto thread to decide....oh wait.... Wink

Surely the answer is, if you can't think of a reason to have or not have a particular gearbox, then test drive both and go for what you prefer Smile

Post #87265 9th Jan 2011 11:26 pm
PaulC

United Kingdom 

IMO most people drive their manual cars with the revs too low. I am not at all suggesting that you should rev them too high either. If the revs are allowed to get up into the mid-range then the throttle is more responsive, you have power more readily at fot when you need it and all without making much difference to the fuel consumption.

Generally speaking, fuel consumption varies little between gears providing you keep the revs in the low to mid range and are careful with throttle use. So it is normally better to run with the revs a little higher. I always used to run my car below 2000rpm because I thought that the higher gear was more economic. Now I will normally run it up to 3000rpm and the car drives much betetr and yet I have seen little change in fuel consumption.

The auto just seems to drive the car as I do now. It seems overrevved but it isn't.

Post #87267 9th Jan 2011 11:34 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

The Doctor wrote:
Captain Worm wrote:
without doubt the AUTO is the nicer drive. maybe the auto's you have driven have 'learn't' bad habbits (I have had a couple of rent cars like this as they are generally driven badly) or perhaps you've just not had time to get used to the FL2 auto as it does need some practice - just like a manual - to get it doing what you want Wink

Without doubt the manual is nicer drive. I don't buy into the bad habits business. I test drove one and have had several courtesy cars and I always end up wanting mine back asap.

Manual is much smoother and once you learn the gearbox you know where the power comes in best and when best to change gear. The stupid auto just holds onto a gear for too long and if you compare both in top gear at 70 with cruise control on, the manual revs less but no labouring. Perfect. The auto revs too much.

Based on facts rather than preference, unless towing and off roading is an issue, manual is better.

Think we both need to agree to disagree and I'll carry on happy in my lazy fuel gurgling auto and you can run proud in you frugal low revving manual Thumbs Up Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Last edited by Captain Worm on 11th Jan 2011 4:08 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #87272 10th Jan 2011 12:00 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Sounds good. Either way I wouldn't mind some more snow before winter ends, I did enjoy going out and about on some snowy and rather steep side streets much to the amazement of residents. Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #87275 10th Jan 2011 12:04 am
Captain Worm

+1 Thumbs Up Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #87277 10th Jan 2011 12:06 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

blow the fuel economy the auto is faster 0-60

10.9 Vs 10.5 - 2009 version Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #87281 10th Jan 2011 12:31 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Andy131 wrote:
blow the fuel economy the auto is faster 0-60

10.9 Vs 10.5 - 2009 version

Inevitable. I remember being beaten from the lights in my Fiesta ST that I used to own by a guy in a Renault Scenic Auto. The ST was a Censored for getting the clutch control right. I burned past him of course but autos always pull away smartly.

Sand mode is funny off the line though, even in the manual. Amazing what a difference turning the TR dial makes Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #87282 10th Jan 2011 12:39 am
PaulC

United Kingdom 

The Doctor wrote:

Based on facts rather than preference, unless towing and off roading is an issue, manual is better.

I don't think you can state a preference as a fact. YOU think it is better, as many do... but that does not make it a fact.

In any case... what is BETTER? Better for fuel consumption? True. Better for smooth gear changes? Mixed opinions it seems. Better for noise? Better for maintenence, cost, the environment? Who is to say one is better over the other? It can only be an opinion because one is clearly better in some areas and the other in other areas. It has to be an opinion as to which is better overall based on your own priorities, views and attitudes... not to mention your state of physical health.

Sorry, you may prefer one over the other but it is definitely not a fact either way.

Post #87293 10th Jan 2011 9:19 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

The Doctor wrote:
weirdfish wrote:
I think there was an air of sarcasm to AndyC's last post as I think diesel is actually cheaper here than Norway.

Shocked Remind me not to fill up in Norway Shocked

At least weirdfish understood the remark as sarcasm (general price of diesel) Thumbs Up - Oh, and the price of diesel here is either cheaper or the same as in the UK (at least last autumn) Shocked 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #87296 10th Jan 2011 9:29 am
fujifreel

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Fuji White

Captain Worm wrote:

Just worked out final drives and your right a manual will rev less @70 than an auto (2.4462 final drive vs 2.5725) Embarassed I'm not sure that fact alone can determine if the manual is better or not though !!!

There is an easy way to compare rpm at various tire sizes and speeds at http://akb.norbie.net/Public/Gearing.aspx
This calculates the auto revs less in 6th gear Shocked .

Post #87459 11th Jan 2011 4:52 am
dunroof

Don't like to correct things, but if you go onto the LR main site and do a search on FL2's for sale, 379 are Autos, 330 are Man. Almost an even spilt. I certainly don't believe the dealer who said only 10% were Man. I think he was trying to flog you an Auto.

Post #87477 11th Jan 2011 10:25 am
Captain Worm

fujifreel wrote:
Captain Worm wrote:

Just worked out final drives and your right a manual will rev less @70 than an auto (2.4462 final drive vs 2.5725) Embarassed I'm not sure that fact alone can determine if the manual is better or not though !!!

There is an easy way to compare rpm at various tire sizes and speeds at http://akb.norbie.net/Public/Gearing.aspx
This calculates the auto revs less in 6th gear Shocked .

What ratios did you use to calculate it? When I looked at it it definitly came with the manual reving lower - although if you can prove it does - then thats another one up for AUTO's Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #87480 11th Jan 2011 11:06 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

I've been driving for over forty years and always had manuals as I still enjoy driving.

when I am no longer able to use the clutch with my left foot or change gear with my left hand or too deaf to hear the engine revs, or just can't be bothered driving the car, then I may consider an auto.

until then and I hope it's a long way off !!..............manual is best

Iain

ps changing gear is a huge part of the pleasure in driving a car and without it would be very mundane and just a means of going from A to B.

Post #87481 11th Jan 2011 11:16 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>