Home > General > Manual or Auto??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
ad210358

England 

chicken george wrote:
ad210358 wrote:
Beerok, I notice that you will also tow with your possible Freelander 2, another reason to go down the auto road, as the clutch takes a lot of strain if your not careful when reversing Thumbs Up

Ha ha at last a confession, vanning is bad for your car

Not so much bad for your car but hard work and can cause problems if your not careful. Wink

Post #87159 9th Jan 2011 10:32 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

a straight answer please no flannelling At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #87161 9th Jan 2011 11:05 am
hutchingsp

I had a FL2 on demo/test drive all Friday afternoon, an SD4 Auto.

I've never driven a Freelander before and tbh having driven it for 100 miles/3 hours in a mix of city centre and A-Road/DC/Motorway my reaction was "Why would anyone want a manual?".

I currently drive a small manual sports car so I'm used to manuals, but in something the size and nature of the FL2 the auto just seems to make sense - stop/start city centre driving is a revelation.

I did wonder myself about snow/off-road difference between a manual and an automatic though.

Post #87162 9th Jan 2011 11:12 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

I have had an FL2 Auto for nearly 3 years, have had courtesy FL2's during servicing etc and most have been manual and I didnt like them. Never driven a 6 speed manual before and found I was changing gear too often for my liking, plus my left foot likes to have a kip nowadays whilst im driving.

Post #87165 9th Jan 2011 11:53 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

just drive the six speed as a 3 speed, saves time At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #87166 9th Jan 2011 11:57 am
twodogs

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

We have a manual FL2 and an auto Audi.

When we renew the Freelander it will be with an Auto Thumbs Up

The manual is OK, don't get me wrong.

Manual: Cheaper to buy, to tax and on fuel.

Auto: Just better.

Post #87167 9th Jan 2011 12:05 pm
PaulC

United Kingdom 

hutchingsp wrote:
I had a FL2 on demo/test drive all Friday afternoon, an SD4 Auto.
I did wonder myself about snow/off-road difference between a manual and an automatic though.

hutch, an auto is a lot better offroad and on limited grip surfaces such as snow and ice. The smooth control you have without the necessity to control the clutch and the fact that you can go as slowly as you want without risk of burning out the clutch is a huge benefit.

I just want to clarify my last post... I said I would have a manual if I wasn't towing but of course as wierdfish says... I couldn't if I wanted the SD4 and in fact, if I wasn't towing I would have gone for the TD4 anyway so with towing I am getting a SD4 (auto) and without towing I would have gone for the TD4 (manual).

Post #87168 9th Jan 2011 12:10 pm
athelstan

Automatics are driven by Transvestites because they can change into something easily.

Manuals are for Troglodytes so that they can carve out the changes in their lives.

Post #87171 9th Jan 2011 12:32 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

hutchingsp wrote:
"Why would anyone want a manual?"

Because its better. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #87174 9th Jan 2011 1:00 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

twodogs wrote:
We have a manual FL2 and an auto Audi.

When we renew the Freelander it will be with an Auto Thumbs Up

The manual is OK, don't get me wrong.

Manual: Cheaper to buy, to tax and on fuel.

Auto: Just better.

It really does depend on use guys. Off roading, towing and more relaxing when going through town centres auto everytime. Get out and about on dual carriageways etc and the auto is horrid. It changes ok normally but kick down is too jerky and it revs too high. The manual is very smooth and I have tried commanshift manual and it is just a cheap immitation of a proper manual. Less to buy, less to tax, cheaper to run, still the same great FL2 but with the added bonus of cash savings

Unless you tow, have health reasons like weirdfish has, go off road alot or just like throwing money away then there is no logical choice for the auto. Only peoples preference at the end of the day. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #87175 9th Jan 2011 1:07 pm
2freel2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

my freelander is a TD4 GS manual

my dads is a TD4 Sport Auto

I have to say i prefer mine, i am quite a spirited driver and i like to pic and choose what gear i am in for what i want to do. i don't off road farther than grassy fields. Had no trouble in the snow last couple of winters in county durham through 10+ inches of snow at times. I have the wranglers and they haven't let me down so not yet looking to get winter tyres.

I often drive my dads car and i like it for gentle cruising but i cannot always understand its choice of gears, put your foot down to pull out or overtake and it likes to think a little bit before shifting down and when it does it can be bit jerky. As alot of people have said the command shift is not a replacement for a manual box there is too much of a delay between command and shift if you get my meaning. Only auto i have driven so far that is anything close to a manual is my brother's gti with the dsg gearbox now that is an impressive gearbox, if only he could get it off the drive to use it! If i know i am going to be stuck in a traffic jam every time i drive i would definitely go for an auto.

As i don't tow and i don't off road i am very happy with my manual having done alot more miles than the old mans i don't know if it is fair to directly compare mpgs but mine is consistently about 4-5 mpg to the better bear in mind we do very similar trips on similar roads and i am by far the more aggressive driver.

In the end it comes down to preference, i prefer the manual he prefers the auto end of.

Either way you get a cracking car in my humble opinion.

Post #87179 9th Jan 2011 2:39 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

An advantage of an Auto is that you can use your other foot for something else Wink
Oh - and the cheapness of diesel these days you dont have to worry about the extra consumption of an auto Rolling Eyes 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #87180 9th Jan 2011 2:42 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

AndyC wrote:
An advantage of an Auto is that you can use your other foot for something else Wink
Oh - and the cheapness of diesel these days you dont have to worry about the extra consumption of an auto Rolling Eyes

Far from cheap over here Andy C. Fuel duty and tax increase has just hit us hard. Shell near me are now at £1.32 per litre. So manual savings are worth it plus it costs £1500 less to buy in the first place.

Look at it this way: Auto owners have the wonderful FL2. Manual owners have the wonderful FL2 whilst saving money.

I don't buy into that 'well you dont buy an FL2 to be cheap to run'. Manual has the best of both worlds, FL2 plus cash savings end of.

Auto FTW if towing and off roading, I dont do either except for mild off roading so manual wins hands down. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #87181 9th Jan 2011 3:07 pm
weirdfish

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

I think there was an air of sarcasm to AndyC's last post as I think diesel is actually cheaper here than Norway.

Post #87184 9th Jan 2011 3:19 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

weirdfish wrote:
I think there was an air of sarcasm to AndyC's last post as I think diesel is actually cheaper here than Norway.

Shocked Remind me not to fill up in Norway Shocked LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #87186 9th Jan 2011 3:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 8 <12345678>