Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Problems with FL2 - give up or keep going?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Aimeetess1

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey
Problems with FL2 - give up or keep going?

I have had my FL2 just over 15 months. Its an Manual 2007 Diesel and I bought it privately with a mileage of 79,000 with full service history, mostly at Land Rover.
Apart from that in the last year it had the following work done.

- Dash error for transmission fault. Turned out to be the haldex so it was in 2x4, Bell Engineering fixed it (great guy) turned out the entire haldex needed replacing (full of rust- salt water!) and the module, approx. £650 which wasn’t bad considering it would have been thousands at Land Rover.
- The intercooler went, needed a new air con unit and intercooler unit (and re gas the aircon) approx. £260
- Power steering making loud noise, new reservoir and LR steering liquid approx. £100
- All new glow plugs, approx. £200
- Oil leak, new seal somewhere on engine - approx. £170
- New battery - random error codes approx £80 as got it cost from work
- Wheel bearing (entire hub and ABS sensor corroded on) £300
- Multiple dash codes red by a different garage with correct equipment to do so (must of spent £150+ on that alone)

This doesn’t include the full service, inc. fuel filter, oil filter etc. New breaks all round and new calipers which is expected. It has now done 91,000 miles and it seems its problem after problem.
Every so often it won’t start – guessing it needs a new starting motor soon. It also misfired a couple of weeks ago, no idea what that may be.
It got back from the garage last week, 2 days later it thinks it has no fuel (has full tank) so constantly has the fuel light on and today it put itself in limp mode as thinks it has no fuel (or that could be a separate issue as keeps juddering)
Not going to be a cheap fix (£300+) as its not an easy job.

Luckily a great garage is only local which do everything at a great price (and do a lot with LR’s) even they’ve said that they thought the FL2 was reliable. They did also mentioned a lot of the components underneath are corroded and possibly has it been used to pull boats in and out the sea with previous owners. We did think this but I fully unsealed it myself a year ago so the chassis looks ok, but obviously couldn’t do the electric components however it now seems this has taken affect.

I am aware some parts are waring parts and fully accept that but it just seems every time I fix it, it goes wrong again.
I really don’t want to sale it, but I’m eating into savings now and don’t know when the problems will stop. A few chaps have said it will be basically a new car soon and whoever gets it will have a winner but I am worried due to the corroded components it may be a constant issue with the FL2 having so many electrics. Any advice is hugely appreciated, really feeling down about it now. Sad Sad FL2 GS

Post #350947 6th Jun 2018 3:40 pm
T4

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

When I start thinking that I tend to consider what might be the alternative. The main issue is a replacement vehicle of similar ability would be a great deal more than the current one is to fix. Granted a new vehicle will be a large payment and then nothing else subsequently (consumables aside) but it is a spectacularly large payment to replace.

There is always the thought "Once this is fixed it will be fine." A £500 repair is a great deal less than a replacement vehicle.

It is a gamble and the truth of it is that those of us with early vehicles are the path finders. Nobody knows what they will cost in the next 5 years as there aren't any bench marks to refer to.

You could be fine after the next repair although you do seem to have been somewhat unlucky so far.

On a positive note, your suggested starter issue is more likely to be a battery. Freelanders do like their amps and if the battery is anything than peppy it will cause issues.

Post #350948 6th Jun 2018 3:58 pm
Aimeetess1

Thanks T4.

It had a new Yuasa battery in February this year, got it very cheap from work for cost price and test it regularly, so it isn't that.

This is the issue, I don't like any other SUV as much as the FL2. It can tow 2 ton which is nice as every so often i tow 1.5t with it (not very often) it drives lovely and it has good room for the dogs and can go up the muddy farm track and odd fields. However it has been at the garage so much I couldn't even use it in the snow (or for most of winter!) so was stranded at home then.

I looked at the CRV's but not keen, Tiguans again not keen or the Rav 4's. Really stuck on what too do.

Confused FL2 GS

Post #350950 6th Jun 2018 4:01 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I’d say that the previous owners sold it just in time. As the owner of a similar aged Fl2 for the last 8 years I’m beginning to have some bigger bills but I’ve had a pretty trouble free time so really to be expected. As said by others, what do you replace it with and could you afford it?
Just to note that I’ve taken Ted, the Fl2 though fords regularly but there was no trace of water in the Haldex oil when I changed it. Has your Fl2 had the cam belt and water pump changed? It’s worth getting the mechanic to have a look at all the ancillaries powered by the belts for bearings that are noisey while the belts are off. It will save cost of taking the front off later.
Me, I’m going to keep the car. I can’t justify the cost of anything newer with the same kind of grin factor and all the bells, whistles and environmental controls are all extra things to go wrong.

Post #350958 6th Jun 2018 6:36 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

It sounds like your FL2 had a hard life with it's previous owner.

You seem to be making full use of it's attributes yourself, and I think that for your annual spend (about £3k-£4K? --be it servicing and/or depreciation) you will be hard pushed to get a more useful, comfortable car.

Your fuel gauge problem is well known and is corrosion of wiring/connectors near fuel gauge sender.

If you haven't had your 10 year service yet, I would ask your friendly local garage to give your FL2 a good look over, and follow the advice of BossBob, and have all the pulleys and bearings checked around engine ancillaries.

Look up MOT history, https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
to see if their are any clues there.

The signs of ingress of water makes me wonder if your car has been stood in water for some time.

After all your work and a good 10 year service (plus), I would say if your FL2 suits you, it must be worth a gamble. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #350959 6th Jun 2018 7:24 pm
Aimeetess1

Thanks for the comments.

MOT history is perfect, never failed a MOT as done all the checks before I bought it.

I have savings if I need to use them I can use them so have a decent budget, just no idea what else to buy. I have family with TD5s who spent barely £500 a year on maintaining them, don’t know if anyone else who’s had such bad luck as me.

It’s had it’s 10 year service and a good look over, that was when they commented on the rust and corrosion.

Bossbob we think it was used to pull boats in/out of sea which is how the salt ate into the haldex over time, so going through a ford a few times won’t affect it as much as being in salt water. FL2 GS

Post #350965 6th Jun 2018 10:11 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

It’s your location that’s the issue Rolling with laughter kindly leave the stage Rolling Eyes FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #350974 6th Jun 2018 11:38 pm
Aimeetess1

Very funny Yorky Bob Laughing

Does anyone know if you can fix the fuel gage problem without taking the fuel tank off (as we may be able to do it ourselves then) FL2 GS

Post #351009 7th Jun 2018 10:11 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

I hope to redeem myself but it looks like a tank out job.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic31167.html FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #351013 7th Jun 2018 10:27 am
Aimeetess1

Yes, just red another post.

We have access to a small pit.. but nothing to higher it. My dad went white in the face when I sent him another (very helpful) chaps directions on how to do it.

Why is everything difficult to get to on FL2's?! The oil filter was bad enough last month! FL2 GS

Post #351014 7th Jun 2018 10:28 am
Toris

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Barolo Black

I would suspect most people have similar 'keep it or get shot' thoughts with every decent sized bill. I've had my FL2 for around 6 months now and spent around £1500 on it. I really like the car, especially the driving position so I'm persevering with it. Why should a new owner get the benefit of the expense to date? It's the old adage of you 'can't be half pregnant' so in for a penny, in for a pound I say!

Thumbs Up

Post #351022 7th Jun 2018 11:00 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I take the general view with cars that you either spend money on depreciation or maintenance. The two are related.
My wife keep thinking about changing her 56 reg Peugeot with only 50k miles on it. She does about 3k miles/year and the MOT usually costs about £50 to get through. She likes the car but to replace it with something worthwhile will cost about £10k otherwise I will be buying someone else's problems. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #351024 7th Jun 2018 11:11 am
F5JJT

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
You'll rarely win with cars !

Back in the day when cars were simple with little by way of electronics, no bits of plastic here there and everywhere to conceal stuff and were I suppose less constructed by robots which do not think "sheez when I come to replace this bit it's nigh on impossible" you/we could maintain our own cars with bits from the scrappy cheap as chips - sadly those days are gone. I agree dorsetfreelander it's a stark choice of new + warranty but eye watering depreciation or less up front but probably higher and maybe increasing maintenance costs - i.e. hard to see how you win on this one - but I guess if you're getting away with running a Freelander 2 on say 2K per year that's pretty good. F2 3.2 i6 for the white stuff
F Type 3.0 V6 AWD for the fun stuff

Post #351042 7th Jun 2018 3:26 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

No mater what car it is if it has been used to pull boats out of the sea & as you stated the helix was full of salt water it’s no wonder it’s problem after problem, they normally use an old tractor for work like that.

Post #351050 7th Jun 2018 6:14 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

The family forced me to sell our FL2, in the main she had been reliable, and great fun to drive, but a 2008 FL2 with 185k on the clock needing a re-spray and possibly an auto gearbox change didn't make financial sense spending £10k+ on a car worth £3k.

So I spend £750pm on a nearly new DS!, a great car but as good as the G4 FL2 ? Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #351067 7th Jun 2018 11:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>