Home > General > Possible Fuel Sender Issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
alexv2018

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Sumatra Black
Possible Fuel Sender Issue

Hi,

I bought a 2009 Freelander 2 on the weekend. Driving it home from the dealership it said there was half a tank of fuel. After about 20 minutes of driving, the gauge dropped to empty and warnings popped up on the sat nav. I went and put some fuel in and this seemed to make the needle go back to half a tank and everything seemed ok.

I then drove the car around for a the whole of Sunday with the gauge not moving from the half tank mark, I put fuel in and it increased the gauge and the range. After a couple more hours driving the tank read empty and the needle was back in the yellow.

I have never had a car that does this before. Does anyone here know what they think this would be and what I should say to the dealer to try and get them to remedy this on a car I only bought from them under a week ago?

Post #342819 20th Feb 2018 5:15 pm
Largered

You may learn something by reading this thread.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic12990.html

Post #342820 20th Feb 2018 5:24 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

There's been a few with similar problems if you use the search button I am sure you will find the information you need. I would be taking back myself and get the garage to sort it

Post #342821 20th Feb 2018 5:24 pm
alexv2018

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Sumatra Black

Yeah I've read through that post, and that's what has made me think it may be the fuel sender. I'm just looking for clarification on this or anyone else input so I can go armed to the dealers lol.

Post #342822 20th Feb 2018 5:28 pm
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Your issue will be the wiring between the two sender units in the fuel tank. There is a snap together connector that connects the two sets of wires and this gets contaminated by the fuel. It then cannot send the correct info to the fuel gauge and ecu. If the ecu thinks you are running out of fuel, even if your not, it will shut the car down as it is difficult to prime the fuel system if it is allowed to run to empty.
I had this issue last year, dealer quote approx £800. Fixed it myself for approx £50. You need to solder the wires together and seal with shrink tube. Had to purchase a tool off eBay to remove the sender unit ( purchased a Mercedes one as same as L.R. but cheaper) replacement bolts for prop shaft coupling and bolts for fuel tank cradle.
Took two days to do but that was because I attended to some other issues whilst the tank was out.
I have a post on here somewhere with the info.
Good luck. Thumbs Up

My post titled " Erratic Fuel Gauge " Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #342839 20th Feb 2018 8:43 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1