Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Problems with FL2 - give up or keep going?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

What added to yours Andy was the uniqueness of it... G4 Freelander 1 or 2 will always be a rare beast but sadly the general masses know or care nothing for the heritage of these vehicles these days.

Post #351074 8th Jun 2018 7:28 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

You would be surprised at the number of people who stopped to ask about the cars heritage.

But yes the rarity value did add to the grin factor.
The point was SWMBO and the lads (can't keep calling them kids at 33 & 36) gave me loads of grief to get rid - to save me spending £10k on a car that had been reliable, and was very attached to. What did I initially get, an Ewok that was very pretty, but a dog in every way, cost a fortune and I lost £8k when I got rid 9 months later, then spend £9K a year on a car that while very nice, still doesn't give the grin factor of the FL2.

So my advice is if you like the car, learn to fix it or find a good indy, and keep it. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #351075 8th Jun 2018 8:03 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I liked my Ewok, for me personally it was probably the best all round car I have owned. However in 6 months of ownership it was with LR for almost 3 months having new PTU, gearbox, delayed servicing and MOT, and a raft of other faults. I 'only' lost £3k when I forced them to swap it for me.

to the original poster though, if you like the car, then get a trusted garage to give it a thorough checking over in every area and draw up a list of problems current and future. Then weigh up the cost implications and make a decision from there. Although given that it seems to have lived its life in or around sea water then the salt damage and ingress is possibly already terminal and personally I would move it on and replace it with another FL2.

Post #351076 8th Jun 2018 8:23 am
Aimeetess1

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Thanks for all your comments.

I have had a quote from a local garage to fix the fuel gage, new sender units with labour £495 cash which is a lot more than I expected but I suppose a main dealer did say £800 ish so an improvement there. It seems if I keep the tank full, it shows half a tank and doesn't stop or go into limp mode so may start saving and keep driving it as it is for now, and keep it filled up.

I had a good think and really don't want anything different. It does everything I want, good on fuel, can tow and powerful for what it is.
Another question worth asking. My tyres are close to bald and if I'm honest I haven't been able to afford 4 new tyres with all the spending on the car itself but getting to a point I HAVE to get some. My alloys were sprayed grey to match the paint work (looks awful) and are covered in burnt tarmac where it seems the owner never put a top coat on so anything eats right into the paint. Someone local has 4 x Freelander HSE alloys and tyres for sale for £180, decent alloys but have some paint coming off and 3 of the tyres have a good amount of tread on. Problem is mine are size 235/65/17R and these are 235/60/18R.. would this be ok? Seems a good price for 4 new alloys and 3 good tyres, rather than spending £90 a tyre. FL2 GS

Post #351081 8th Jun 2018 9:48 am
F5JJT

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Dude you seem to be living in a world of pain at the moment - the 18" HSE wheels should be no problem at all juts check they are the same PCD (Pitch Circle Diameter) I've got a set of 19" Ewok wheels on mine at the mo and a set of 18" FL2 which I'm going to refurb and shoe with winter rubber come the autumn. Good luck with all the other stuff - cars suck at times (on you wallet ) just cost which ever way you look at it, but the FL2 is awesomely practical and really easy to drive around in. Hope you get yours sorted F2 3.2 i6 for the white stuff
F Type 3.0 V6 AWD for the fun stuff

Post #351082 8th Jun 2018 10:01 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I have just looked up the main dealer bill for servicing my previous XS in 2016.

I had my Fuel Sender removed and the Wiring Harness Pins replaced to overcome the intermittent Fuel Empty indication, and its resultant occasional Limp Home Mode (which is to save damage to fuel pump)

I was charged £176.99 net of VAT for this work which included dropping the tank. Are you sure that the garages you spoke to have seen the Land Rover Notice which describes the wiring problem.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic30934.html FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #351084 8th Jun 2018 11:05 am
Aimeetess1

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Thanks all for your comments.

Spent Saturday doing my grey, tarmac stained alloys. Sanded them down with 600 and 1200 paper. Primed them and resprayed them with alloy silver spray paint, 4 coats and then applied a lacquer twice. They look much better, silver looks great all for a cost of £25.44! Just need new tyres now.

Thanks for the link RE fuel gage issue.
It seems it only shows empty when it has ¼ of a tank left so its fine when it has anything over ¼ of a tank.. could it still be the wiring?
The price was for new sender units and fitting, so I’ve messaged him and explained what you’ve said, hopefully it will be cheaper! FL2 GS

Post #351256 11th Jun 2018 3:10 pm
The Masked Banana

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Starting problems may be solved by fitting additional earth strap. See that thread here. My starting problem solved. Getting fuel gauge done next month. Should be two or three hours work plus the cost of new wiring pins. First and only FL2 from new. Stornaway Grey 77k

Post #354018 27th Jul 2018 12:05 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12