Home > Technical > Transmission issues - Possible rear diff fail
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
MRRover75

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Transmission issues - Possible rear diff fail

Hi All,

I have some issues with the transmission on my -07 2.2l diesel which has been there since I bought the car for two months ago, but I now feel it is developing. My quick conclusion is that the rear diff is on its way out, but I wish to be absolutely sure before taking any action. I hope anyone here are able to give me some advice on confirming where the issue is. Symptoms as follows:
There is a rumbling/droning noise which seems to come from the center of the car, listening from the drivers seat. The noise increases with road speed but is most obious at around 40-60 km/h. It seems to increase some when the transmission is put under load like driving uphill i.e. There is sometimes also a vibration felt, but this can come and go. The noise is less If I remove the FB6 fuse. Not sure about the vibration. I have replaced both rear wheel bearings, tried 3 different sets of tires which did not change much. I have replaced the gear oil on the rear diff. The old oil looked like used engine oil but I could not see any metal filings in it. The car has done 210000km (131250miles) and it seems like there has been no service done to the transmission units since new except from a replacement of a drive shaft seal and oil change to the IRD at the cars early age. I plan to do a service to the Haldex unit, but do not bother to start it before seeing the whole picture. I allready have the parts for the haldex service.
So, where does I take it from here? would I get a better picture if I get the car up on a 2 post hoist and run the transmission an search for noises? Anything else? Would an oil change to the IRD be of any use (looking at the condition of the old oil)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated Smile

Last edited by MRRover75 on 16th Mar 2017 6:19 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #319018 7th Mar 2017 7:01 am
MRRover75

Hi all,

Just some last questions:
As far as I know, there is a larger pinion bearing fitted to the later diffs, post 2011. Does these suffers the bearing issues as the earlier ones?

Will a RR Evoque rear diff fit my Freelander 2? I am of the understanding that these are the same except for the Haldex unit?

Post #319023 7th Mar 2017 8:15 am
mgwanderer

Belgium 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Indus Silver

Have you spoken to Austen at Bell engineering, he is very helpful and also very knowledgeable on the Freelander drive train. If nothing else he will point you in the right direction and can supply re-conditioned units. I am not associated with him, but was a very satisfied customer when he repaired my Haldex unit.

Clive If it ain't ***ked don't fix it

Post #319034 7th Mar 2017 10:54 am
austen_fl2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Sounds like Rear diff or front transfer box (PTU). As removing fuse decreases snooze and you also get a notable difference on and off power I'd be looking to the transfer box. When they go badly you can move the output shaft up and down or in and out, try that first.

I've seen plenty of 2012 dated diffs that have failed, so haven't got a definitive answer if and when bearing was upsized. I do know I had some brand new 2014 dated diffs that had the larger bearing. www.bellengineering.co.uk

Post #319141 8th Mar 2017 10:33 pm
MRRover75

Hi Austen,

Thanks for the advice. I would happily drop by your workshop if it was closer.... but its sadly not Sad

I was under the car today having a quick look at the front PTU. I could not feel any play in any direction of the prop shaft flange. Seems firm. I am putting my bet on my rear diff as I allready have an used -13/14 evoque unit on its way....

Post #319221 10th Mar 2017 12:33 pm
MRRover75

Hi all,

The Evoque rear diff arrived yesterday. I had a quick look at it in the evening. Removed the haldex and drained it completely for oil. It seems firm an OK when turning by hand, and the old oil looked clear and fine. It seems that the seller has worked with the wrong tools when removing the driveshaft as the driveshaft seal was misplaced and edges of its bore damaged. I removed the old seals and gave the bore a quick cleanup before putting the new seals in. I pressed them in until they was flush with the bore edge. I will proceed with replacing my diff in the start of next week. So, a couple of questions:
Does anyone know how far the driveshaft seals should be pressed in? Is it possible to see if this diff has the larger bearing or not in any way? Its a -13/14 Evoque diff with 25000miles on its clock. Is the Haldex unit fitted to this diff the same as fitted to the later FL2`s? The input shaft feels firm when rotating the diff on the prop flange, but after removing Haldex, I am not able to rotate the input shaft with my bare hands. Is this normal? Is it possible to "feel" the state of the bearing with the diff on the bench?

I have no use of the Haldex which came with the diff as my FL2 needs a gen.3 unit. I will just swap over my old one after giving it a service. If anyone needs this Haldex, give me a PM.

Here are some pics:
[URL=]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Misplaced driveshaft seal:
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Seal removed and bore cleaned up:
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

New seal installed, flush with the edge. Is this correct depth?
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

The Haldex unit which came with the diff:
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #319525 16th Mar 2017 6:34 am
de1979

England 

I've sent you a PM Smile

Post #319527 16th Mar 2017 8:52 am
austen_fl2

Seals should be flush so you have done it correctly. You will struggle to turn the shaft by hand. Is you take the input flange off the haldex, the flange will slide onto the diff shaft so you can get more leverage, try turning it and feel. The diff. If it's notchy it's no good, if it's smooth but slightly tight that's fine. www.bellengineering.co.uk

Post #319530 16th Mar 2017 9:04 am
austen_fl2

There is a date on the casting at the front, what does it say? That will give you an idea if it has the larger bearing. www.bellengineering.co.uk

Post #319531 16th Mar 2017 9:06 am
MRRover75

austen_fl2 wrote:
Seals should be flush so you have done it correctly. You will struggle to turn the shaft by hand. Is you take the input flange off the haldex, the flange will slide onto the diff shaft so you can get more leverage, try turning it and feel. The diff. If it's notchy it's no good, if it's smooth but slightly tight that's fine.

Hi Austen,

Thanks for the advice! When turning at the propshaft flange, its smooth and slightly tight Smile

Post #319532 16th Mar 2017 9:25 am
MRRover75

austen_fl2 wrote:
There is a date on the casting at the front, what does it say? That will give you an idea if it has the larger bearing.

Austen,

Is it these numbers you are refering to? :

[URL=]
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #319533 16th Mar 2017 9:29 am
austen_fl2

Yes those are the numbers and looking at that it should have the bigger bearing in it. www.bellengineering.co.uk

Post #319535 16th Mar 2017 9:33 am
MRRover75

Austen,

Thanks a lot! Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Post #319540 16th Mar 2017 10:12 am
MRRover75

austen_fl2 wrote:
Is you take the input flange off the haldex, the flange will slide onto the diff shaft so you can get more leverage

Austen,

Are you saying that the prop shaft flange has a matching spline to the diff input shaft??

Post #319542 16th Mar 2017 10:14 am
austen_fl2

Yes it's the same spline. Also Same spline on front transfer box www.bellengineering.co.uk

Post #319543 16th Mar 2017 10:18 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>