Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Ultimate retro Sat Nav? With Instalation Guide
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Carnoch

Oh, just looked at Ebay under a search on 'KNA' it brings up most of the Kenwood Satnav's. I see someone has a new 421 hard disc unit for sale at roughly £340. Add a new 702 minotor from Just Kenwood at £150, a Special Offer price and you have it all for £490. Someone else is selling an unwanted gift, I always find that phrase a bit strange in relation to an expensive item, the complete combination is at £650, which is expensive. I have seen them go cheaper, but you'd need to nail a bidding auction for that. I paid a negotiated price with a retailer at £440 all in. Well, if you don't ask, you don't get.

I'd avoid the 520 hard disc unit. It is an older model and requires a connection to the speedo for some of the functions to work, you know time to destination etc. whereas the newer 421 does it all by itself, updating every second, plus it works off a slightly different newer GPS system and the maps are 2008. Add to that the boot up time, which is considerably quicker than the 520.

Yes, I know you can't beat £100 for a ready made, stick on the dash or plant it in the hole Satnav, but this one looks a factory fit at 7" and you'd be pleased you parted with the extra to be honest.

Post #28060 24th Sep 2008 9:22 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

after seeing this

Having a factory fit Satnav is something that will be not be on the high priority list, as long as there is a hole to put it in my next car

It does more, can have more linked to it and looks to be a fitted system Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #28061 24th Sep 2008 9:38 pm
Carnoch

Yes, npinks and although I haven't looked into the detail, I read some blurb that it will do off road, but not sure exactly what they mean by that. I have noticed that one function tracks your route with dashes, which is quite amusing if you change lanes on a dual carriageway, so maybe it's something to do with that. The dashes stay there until you clear them.

Post #28062 24th Sep 2008 9:47 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i have that on the standard satnav, so i can retrack my step if i get lost going to the desert tesco Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #28070 24th Sep 2008 11:18 pm
nickkuts

Bulgaria 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Nazca Sand

Hi Carnoch,
While browsing for satnav units , have come across a multimedia unit that could be plugged in this monitor.
This is an additional feature of course but could be handy for kids entertainment.
Regards

Post #28108 25th Sep 2008 6:47 pm
Carnoch

Npinks, you can afford to shop at Tesco? Shocked Just rub our nose in it. That said, it does count for 'off road', the condition of their car parks.

Nickkuts, yes, I would perhaps consider. I have a couple of these stick on front headrests tablet DVD's for the kids in the back. One of them now won't read, the DVD, rather than the kids, but will link up to the other and act as a monitor for whatever is being play. The uphot is Holy Hell as to whos watches what in the back seats. It was more peacefull when I didn't have them. At least they only asked 'how long until we get there' every 5 minuets. I put them away for repair, but depending on the outcome may consider linking a a couple of touch screen monitors recessed into the front headrests and a DVD player. That said, I think I'll have to budget for 2,000 litres of kerosene in the next 2 weeks! Ouch, that will hurt! Crying or Very sad

Post #28121 25th Sep 2008 9:16 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Carnoch wrote:
Npinks, you can afford to shop at Tesco?

Sainburys too, and on a sunday Marks and Spenser's Food for a Gastro Pub Steak and Ale Pie Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #28124 25th Sep 2008 10:14 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

i have that on the standard satnav, so i can retrack my step if i get lost going to the tesco desert Rolling with laughter Once you've tasted GREY you'll never go back!

Post #28160 26th Sep 2008 4:47 pm
christian138

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

Yes - the missus borrows the car periodically to check out where I've been going Censored 

Post #28163 26th Sep 2008 5:04 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Gambba wrote:
i have that on the standard satnav, so i can retrack my step if i get lost going to the tesco desert Rolling with laughter

your lucky though Twisted Evil Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #28176 26th Sep 2008 6:39 pm
nickkuts

Bulgaria 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Nazca Sand

Hi Carnoch!
Do you manage with the better pictures?
Bow down

Post #29269 16th Oct 2008 6:57 am
Carnoch

Apologies, yes, I did, I'll post them in the next wee while. Unfortunately I've been busy with one thing or another, although it was at the back of my mind.

The Satnav is working great. I connected it up to the laptop and updated the 'operating system' and also added speed cameras on the POI.

Really, I've no complaints and it works perfectly. I did see one firm on Ebay supplying and fitting exactly the same at £1300 all in. I'd travel the whole UK and do it for that myself!

Anyway, apoligies, and bear with me a few days.

Post #29946 26th Oct 2008 1:34 pm
peteshutup

United States 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Carnoch
What a perfect solution to an overly expensive dealer option!
I plan to copy your installation, perhaps changing the mount
I had a couple of questions though. I mentioned an aftermarket GPS
when purchasing the vehicle, and was cautioned about voiding the
warranty. Did anyone tell you anything like that?
Also, how did you address the sound issue. Is the speaker on the back
of the monitor? And if so, can you hear it?

Post #30486 5th Nov 2008 3:12 am
Carnoch

Hi,

The mount - the main thing was to eliminate any potential noise or rattle whilst making sure the satnav touch screen would stand being pressed hard. The plastic ties did a better job than expected. It hasn't shifted nor made any squeeks. There are other options, but you want the thing to flush fit and thats the problem. You have to do what I did or glue in or alternatively modify a rear type holding bracket. I have an original factory fit satnav bracket, but it's a different size to what I installed, so I couldn't use it unless I packed it with foam or similar and I'd be reluctant to do this as the satnav might not be able to dissipate ordinary operational heat the unit produced.

The warranty - I did not broach the subject with Land Rover. I suspect if you modify anything on the vehicle there is probably a get out clause for them even if unassociated. The beauty of this is it can be disconnected and removed reasonably quickly if need be and without a trace unless they get forensics on it. I don't think there would be a great problem unless the fault under warranty is something major to be honest.

The speaker - if you turn the satnav up to full volume, you can hear it over the CD/radio, no problem. For a couple of quid, you could easily buy a single speaker and place it in the centre console space where a speaker would normally fit. Which ever way you go, you can reduce or mute the sound via the touch screen.

Apologies again, I will get my finger out with the pics, just been busy. Hopefully that will subside at the end of the week and I can do a bit of updating of the guide on here.

I am also considering changing my other car for a Discovery or XC90, maybe another FL2, although I could do with some more space to be honest and a 7 seater has it's advantages. Anyone selling something similar, less than a year old with minimal miles, looking at mid December, PM me.

Post #30497 5th Nov 2008 6:12 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

For those that dont have, maybe this is of intrest (if it has not been spied earlier) Question

http://www.kalogeropoulos.gr/displayProject.asp?ITMID=8198

Unfortunatly its all Greek to me Whistle 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #32129 28th Nov 2008 1:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>