Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Ultimate retro Sat Nav? With Instalation Guide
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Carnoch

I found the pics on my iPhone, will post them shortly.

Post #53650 3rd Jan 2010 1:25 pm
Carnoch

Okay, I seem to have got the pictures back up.

Right, the only problem I've had with the set up has been when I got an ignition problem and had the car taken to the local dealer. they, in conjunction with LR Tech Dept said it was the Satnav draining the system when parked and locked up for the night. I told them that was utter crap, I had the figures for electrical consumption etc. However, it was their get out of jail card.

The good news is I circumvented the set up so that it all worked off an Aux outlet connector that I merely plugged in and the car came back into warranty. Dealership had to eat humble pie and it spent the next 10 days in the garage while they and LR tech Dept sorted the problem out - it was a faulty ignition button.

I'll have to take a pic or two of the way I have it now, but in essence, there is no difference, the only one is the Satnav wires connect up to the Aux connector under the front seat, the cable then runs up the handbrake console and connects into the Aux socket. It looks every bit as good as it did, the only down side is it resets the time when it boots it up, but this does correct itself after a couple of mins.

I put anotherr one in a new Discovery I've got with a slightly different wiring layout and likewise, perfect.

Post #53664 3rd Jan 2010 2:53 pm
Carnoch

If anyone has any questions or suggestiosn, please pop them on this thread and I'll do my best.

Post #64653 24th Mar 2010 9:29 pm
thebeermats

Ireland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Biscay Blue
Mio Sat Nav

Just got my hands on a Mio Sat Nav with digital TV, it fits into the dashboard top part of the FL2, it has a lighter power supply,
anyone know the easy way to run power to it without have wires all over the place, it also has a aerial that needs to go on the front window, whats the best route for that wire.

Post #65908 9th Apr 2010 12:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

passenger footwell for the power, search posts from 'lars' maybe try the aerial under the top grill center of dash? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #65909 9th Apr 2010 12:46 pm
blinged freelander

My first post is a plea, sorry. Carnoch, could you please put the photos back, I am stuck without them. Great guide thanks.

Post #68176 10th May 2010 7:50 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

carnoch threw his teddy and deleted his existence, due to an argument with a sheep lover At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Last edited by chicken george on 10th May 2010 8:04 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #68177 10th May 2010 7:53 pm
blinged freelander

Well I don't know the background to say if it was justified or not and it's not my business. These things are rarely one sided, but it's a real pity especially from my point of view. I have a dash in bits! I mean, what a waste, about 20k views, about the highest viewed topic on this forum, at lot of practical help to a lot of people and then this!

Post #68179 10th May 2010 8:00 pm
blinged freelander

Oh, had a look at previous posts involving Carnoch and it would appear someone called Tonka was winding him up. WELL DONE TONKA - gold star for you my man! Got to ask you why? Isn't this a forum for people with Freelanders helping others and having a common purpose?

I've just managed to get my dash back. Thank goodness all the instructions were not deleted!

Post #68439 13th May 2010 6:28 pm
darrellr

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver
Re: Mio Sat Nav

thebeermats wrote:
Just got my hands on a Mio Sat Nav with digital TV, it fits into the dashboard top part of the FL2, it has a lighter power supply,
anyone know the easy way to run power to it without have wires all over the place, it also has a aerial that needs to go on the front window, whats the best route for that wire.

Sounds like you are copying my thoughts.

Try this thread New: Freelander2 GS 62 plate (MY13) - Santorini Black with Clearview & Front PDC
Old: Freelander2 XS 09 Plate - Zermatt Silver with ST3 remap (eco map), Garmin 1490T Sat Nav, Rear Seat Entertainment kit

Post #70528 13th Jun 2010 1:19 pm
JzBear

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hello,

I'm happy with my freelander 2 2010 model and am keen to install an lcd gps media center where the factory model is installed. In particular i would like my iphone to be connected to the screen with a hands free system. Being able to use all the media on my iphone would be great.

I have read this string and am interested. However there doesn't seem to be photo's posted anymore. I am looking for the photo's that go along with the installation guide and the list of parts that needs to be purchased.

Any suggestions as to where i should look to purchase the parts (anywhere in the world that is reliable and arranges freight to Australia would be good) would also be appreciated.

J

Post #75843 13th Sep 2010 5:38 am
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

I seriously cannot believe that a new vehicle costing in the vicinity of $65,000 doesn't include Sat Nav and and other contemporary touch-screen functions! LR need to get with the program.
There are touch-screen Sat-Nav, Stereo systems freely available to Joe-public for $400 or thereabouts and they come standard on many "cheap" hatches and other cars these days. Someone at LR should think about giving one of the manufacturers a call, asking for a price on 100,000 units. I suspect it will be standard on the Evoque. It should also be standard on new model Freelander 2's, with a reasonably priced kit offered for older models with the same spec dashboard.
I currently have Sat Nav with voice guidence and everything else on my mobile phone for crying out loud. It came free, despite the fact it wasn't included when I first bought the phone (Nokia 71). The only real improvement I need is a bigger screen that will make the maps a lot easier to read whilst driving.
I have an MY11 SD4 SE with 17" alloys and All Terrain Tyres on order and I have a terribly feeling I will have to buy an aftermarket Sat-Nav system after I get it, despite a 3 month wait. Can't be quite sure - the LR Aust website is ambiguous at best. I've told the saleman that I assume it IS included. The new LR2 is designed to take me places. As long as I have a map, I might just get there!

Post #85998 31st Dec 2010 3:53 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Why bother with sat nav - this is what we had in our lane this morning. Following sat nav instructions rather than using common sense caused untold angst for the driver and serious damage to ancient dry stone Cotswold walls.

The vehicle was in situ for over 20 hours before being winched out backwards.

Click image to enlarge

Unless your a white van man delivering parcels can't understand the need to fit such a device.

Tenet MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #86004 31st Dec 2010 5:36 pm
dunroof

You have obviously never been lost with a wife who cant read maps!

Post #86007 31st Dec 2010 5:59 pm
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Sat Nav can be used as a guidence system (turn left at roundabout. turn right in 100 mtrs etc etc) or it can be used to replace maps. For cities, there's usally one book. In country Oz most roads aren't even surfaced so blindly following a Sat Nav direction is plain stupid if your not driving an appropriate vehicle. If you want to explore somewhere new you can whip out a compass & drive up unknown roads or tracks and hope for the best. This can be fun, particularly when you have seemingly unlimited time and fuel on your hands. If the destination is not important, this can also be be cool. If you are towing a camper trailer or van you also have to cross your fingers and hope that there's enough room to turn around at a potential dead-end.
Otherwise, you are going to need a map. These are typically expensive, hard to buy in the first place and hard to read on the go. Not having the right scale to give you relevent detail can also be frustrating. This is where a decent GPS sytem with maps overlaid can be quite useful. It allows you to pick a road or track and scroll thru where it heads. If it's a dead-end, you know about beforehand and can try another road.
If you like, you can also set a destination and get it to show you where it thinks you should go to get there. This is sometimes helpful and sometimes annoying. Freelanders should be able to go anywhere that a Sat Nav guidence system throws at it.

Post #86409 4th Jan 2011 1:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>