Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > The beginning of the demise of diesel?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
DrRpb

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

You could only buy petrol Landies for the first 10 years of their production Whistle * GONE. GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* GONE.2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Rocket ship. 33mpg.
* Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975 Smile

Post #244233 9th Dec 2014 10:10 am
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

taztastic wrote:
We more than likely can build a car with a long range, there is too much going on in the background with countries reliant on fossil fuels holding back progress, or certainly helping to delay things.
We have submarines and supertankers using small nuclear reactors, companies such as Toshiba are creating microreactors, ok still too big for a car but technology is there, if we can fuel a submarine for 25 years I am damn sure someone has a car somewhere that will go plenty more than 70 miles.

Now there is a really terrifying scenario... Millions of cars cutting around with small nuclear reactors on board. Is the general standard of driving good enough?

Post #244238 9th Dec 2014 10:56 am
fisha

Battery technology is a stop gap tech and the process of lithium manufacture is far from eco friendly in its own right from what I understand.

As above the future is hydrogen fuel cell.

Post #244247 9th Dec 2014 11:43 am
taztastic

England 

Hydrogen fuel cells are certainly the future for auto mobiles, I don't think they will ever get a small reactor that small, the smallest one is currently 3 x 9 metres and ideal for a small village, that's an interesting angle.

Post #244252 9th Dec 2014 12:24 pm
DrRpb

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

I have a spare flux capacitor if someone wants one? I prefer the Tdi in my Classic so I removed the FC Rolling with laughter * GONE. GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* GONE.2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Rocket ship. 33mpg.
* Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975 Smile

Post #244264 9th Dec 2014 1:41 pm
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Read this article and you'll see that all this discussions about diesel versus petrol in terms of pollution are completely ridiculous :

http://www.gizmag.com/shipping-pollution/11526/

The world's 90,000 vessels burn approx 370 million tons of fuel per year emitting 20 million tons of Sulphur Oxides. That equates to 260 times more Sulphur Oxides being emitted by ships than the worlds entire car fleet.

I think that says enough.

Last edited by Paul on 9th Dec 2014 2:06 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #244266 9th Dec 2014 1:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
hinchy

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Aintree Green

I use to love my old petrol land rover V8 but unfortunately it loved the petrol stations and I've never had a petrol engine since. MY13 HSE LUX Aintree Green
MY57 SE Stornoway Grey. Gone
Nissan X Trail
Discovery V8 LPG
Series II Land Rover

Post #244267 9th Dec 2014 2:02 pm
Old Goat

France 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Here in France Profonde, diesel cars are de rigueur - just about everyone has one. Diesel fuel is much cheaper than petrol (I paid 1.17 Euros per litre, today), and always has been, here. You were mightily conned in the Former UK!

The French are not easily persuaded to give up their habits, particularly if it's going to cost them, so I can't see any rapid spread of this policy out here - there'd be strikes and riots (and it doesn't take much to encourage the French to participate in either...). Chris

Post #244289 9th Dec 2014 5:14 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

taztastic wrote:
With this, almost certainty, swing back towards petrol, do you think manufactureres will adopt petrol or petrol/electric hybrids?
I am thinking from a torque point of view, small efficient petrol units, with little torque are all well and good in Aunt Doris' city mini but what effect would they have on SUV's or is it an excuse for governments to call the death knell on these too?

A decent hybrid would solve that but the battery issue rears its ugly head, I wonder how far down the road (Scuse pun) the manufactuereres are with battery/electricity harnessing technology. I imagine, rather comically, that the power from the current batteries would be better used to heat water and produce steam Laughing

Petrol engine technology is moving at a vast rate. The end is near for diesel because of the amount of crap that has to be bolted on to a Diesel engine to make it clean, and all this extra equipment saps power and economy.

Take the Vauxhall 1.9 CDTi 150bhp. They are capable of averaging mid to late 50 mpg on the economy front which isn't bad for a 10 year old design. But a friend of mine runs a track car, which is not road legal. He has stripped off every single peice of equipment to do with EGR, DPF leaving just the engine and management system. This has been re-mapped and produces 231bhp and 348lb/ft torque, and on a test on a track day, over four hours averaged 89.6 mpg at an average of 55mph. So the economy and power is there, but the emmisions and smoke went through the roof! 127% over the limits allowed for an MOt test. So diesel is getting to its limits regarding Euro emmisions standards. If they start taxing cars based on NOX limits, then Diesel engines will be dropped over night.

Back to petrol, and the question about enough torque etc, I have friends who are very high up in Vauxhall, and they currently have in development (which is production ready) a 1.4 Turbo which produces 200bhp and over 200lb/ft torque.

This is massive for a small engine. They also have 2.0 Turbo's which produce over 280bhp with less that 160g/km emmisions similar to that used in the latest Astra VXR 280.

Within the next 3-5 years, all petrol engines will be turbocharged which answers the question about torque.

Labradorslave wrote:
Mav do you know when Land Rover plan to start putting the ingenium 2.0 Turbo petrols in the new Discovery Sport? As someone who mostly drives on country lanes, modern diesels are not really suitable. I am now a self diagnosed land rover addict. The Evoque is a little too flash for my taste so the early FL2 without DPF is the only option for me at the moment. I live in hope the world will see sense and drop the current diesel addiction! A modern turbo petrol engine may not have the torque band of the TD4/SD4 engines but is far superior in every other respect.

The DS that was in our local Shopping Mall in Leicester was an Ingenium 2.0 Turbo petrol. But I know from within LR that no decision has been made yet as to whether the petrol DS will be launched in the UK.

But I suspect that there are a few within LR are debating whether launching DS with the old engine is a good idea Whistle Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #244305 9th Dec 2014 8:15 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Why turbo over supercharger? The current motorbike I have is Hondas go at an economic bike, which is a low revving 700cc which does 80mpg, its rumoured Honda are going to release a supercharger version of it. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #244315 9th Dec 2014 8:42 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

As a Supercharger is driven from the crank, it adds load on the engine which in turn will increase emmisions produced by the engine. This is why the majority of cars now have electric power steering to remove the hydraulic pump from the engine.

Turbocharging doesn't need any mechanical power from the engine to drive it. It's free power from waste exhaust gases to spin the turbo.

Supercharging does make sense on a bike as there is less weight to push so supercharging maybe more efficient on this application, supercharging also doesn't produce the heat that turbocharging does. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Last edited by Mav71 on 9th Dec 2014 10:08 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #244324 9th Dec 2014 9:15 pm
bashracing

United Kingdom 

turbochargers use wasted heat energy to produce power so create less parasitic losses than supercharger that are belt or gear drives to spin the compressors/rotors
edit: mav beat me to it

Post #244327 9th Dec 2014 9:17 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Ok, makes sense, thanks. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #244345 9th Dec 2014 10:29 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Mav71 wrote:

Turbocharging doesn't need any mechanical power from the engine to drive it. It's free power from waste exhaust gases to spin the turbo.

Sorry but First law of thermodynamics rules ie you can't get something for nothing. Bit like saying that your alternator is turning so your lights are on for free.

Post #244362 9th Dec 2014 11:36 pm
hinchy

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Aintree Green

We all been here before, diesel bad all jump ship and get petrol car's again and then wonder why petrol is so much more expensive than diesel Evil or Very Mad you know the script. MY13 HSE LUX Aintree Green
MY57 SE Stornoway Grey. Gone
Nissan X Trail
Discovery V8 LPG
Series II Land Rover

Post #244367 10th Dec 2014 12:07 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>