Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > The beginning of the demise of diesel?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
j77

Scotland 

Audi have developed a diesel from water and CO2 amongst other things, can be mixed with regular diesel or on its own, I think they're calling it e-diesel. The factory can only produce 160ltrs a day at the moment.

https://www.sciencealert.com/audi-have-suc...-and-water 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #262358 30th Apr 2015 10:06 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Yes well, when you see how much hydrogen is produced in a 2 month nuclear submarine patrol to purify the breathable air with extra oxygen for 150 people, you do wonder whether there is enough wind to generate the electricity to make it a viable proposition world wide at economical prices. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #262392 1st May 2015 9:52 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

All this about the UK not meeting the EU emissions regulations for diesels is a load of clap trap when China produce more pollution in a day than the whole of the UK does in a year. Rolling Eyes

Post #262402 1st May 2015 10:23 am
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Wow! You guys in Europe must know something we don't! Every manufacturer has been scrambling to supply diesel powered variants of their models here in Australia. We don't even have to have DPF's. But then again our current Prime Minister is a Censored "Knob"! and his greatest achievement has been to repeal the Carbon Tax introduced by our previous Labour Govt!
So not a big issue here as our Govt believe "Climate change" is pure Witchery!!! Shocked MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #262413 1st May 2015 12:16 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

You guys in Oz have one huge advantage when it comes to things like this - you're not part of the bureaucratic nightmare which is the EU.

The EU has declared war on NOx and particulates, which diesels produce more of than petrol, and it's inevitably going to result in further tax increases for diesels. There's already talk of banning diesels from some major cities.

A united Europe is a bit like communism - sounds like a good idea, but in practice it just cannot work!

Post #262420 1st May 2015 12:53 pm
Stuartc

I must say after reading this thread I was wondering about my diesel choice and that I was concerned with EGR issues considering my short intra city trips. But coming from a petrol Land Rover getting worse than 20L/100 it's hard to fathom this topic as it's not even on the radar here in Australia particularly the political radar!
My personal view! We're all Censored !!!! This problem wil only be solved as a global issue and I can't see that happening quick enough to save us all! In short! Rolling Eyes MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #262426 1st May 2015 1:25 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

You're ignoring the thousands of premature deaths every year that diesel use is causing in this country. And the fact that much of the really bad pollution we had recently was blown across from Europe. If some people insist on ignoring science and killing their fellow countrymen, then government needs to act to stop them, and if it's a European problem then it's more easily dealt with at a European level.
The comment about China is a different matter altogether - they are contributing to CO2 pollution but their diesel particulates aren't going to get this far. And the Chinese are realising that their atmospheric pollution is some of the worst in the world and are trying to do something about it.
As regards Oz, you are one of the most vulnerable countries - global warming is set to kill many of your native species (but probably not the spiders!), your water is running out and most of your country is already a desert! Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #262427 1st May 2015 1:26 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

having driven diesel cars for many years now, with the occasional petrol one thrown in, what annoys me the most is the push by the government (both conservative and labour) to get us into diesel powered motors.

at one point diesel was cheaper than petrol, as there was apprently less refining required, and was a more economical fuel.

now everyone has bought diesel cars, the fuel costs increase, the regulations tighten, the costs spiral upwards continuously, and the Censored government has the nerve to blame us, the diesel motorists, for the pollution levels.

i think that is what annoys most diesel car motorists (and yes that includes me oddly enough)... encourage us, entice us and then mark us down as the bad guy Twisted Evil because we chuck out more nasty particles than a petrol car. Land Rover dont even offer us the choice of the Si4 engine for the Freelander 2.

Post #262428 1st May 2015 1:33 pm
Stuartc

I also keep a can of "Mortein" handy for the spiders that seems to keep them away Laughing
Wow, it sounds a big issue over there, it's simply not a big issue here being that right or wrong. And if it get a mention it's only CO2. No one mentions diesel particulate here! There is a small movemt of people talking about climate change and sustainability but it's simply small time stuff. Again, with our current "F@#^tard" Prime Minister you may aswell Censored against a force 10 gale!!
Funny enough RogB we have always had the Si4, Si6 before that but sell very few funny enough. DS also available with petrol. I must say I do appreciate not watching the fuel
Gauge physically dropping as you drive and believe me don't think for a minute the Si4 is economical, it's still thirsty. Economy only marginally better than outgoing 6, I'm everyday real driving. Official fuel figures are bullshit especially if you find out under what conditions these figures are obtained. MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #262431 1st May 2015 1:38 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

The official fuel figures quoted by manufacturers should really only be used a rough guide to which vehicle is more economical over another. LRO magazine does a real world test on some of its road test models which is far more indicative of everyday use.

Over here there is around a 5p/litre difference between petrol and diesel at the pumps. Add that to the increased cost of buying a diesel variant over a petrol variant, and the more frequent oil changes/services required for a diesel, and diesel starts to not look so favourable.

I have been driving around 25-27k miles a year for the last 15 years or so, so a diesel has made sense due to the mainly motorway driving ive been doing, but having recentlly changed my job, when the time comes I would seriously consider a petrol land rover (Freelander/Evoque Si6/Si4 or even an older V8 Discovery)

Post #262433 1st May 2015 1:57 pm
Stuartc

Yes I know, it's only meant to facilitate comparing "apples with apples" but people think that's what they should be getting city or country driving.
It's like the energy labelling for white good. Therefore manufacturers try and build/tune to maximise this figure! MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #262444 1st May 2015 3:41 pm
Dartman the one

England 

The world is overpopulated so a few deaths here and there will not be that noticeable, in fact could be handy in saving the planet. Global warming may well be happening and some due to the worlds population and behaviour, however the Romans grew vines on Hadrians wall and made wine from them, when Ch穰eau Gordie is on sale again I will believe that warming has arrived, but still not really worried, but I may if we get an active volcano erupting the UK. Everything must be looked at in perspective Laughing my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #262453 1st May 2015 5:34 pm
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Correct. Bring on Tesla and their battery technology. What are the Green/Left etc Governments of the day going to do about that bit of genius engineering hey?! Foraging near Gaydon....
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #262459 1st May 2015 6:20 pm
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

RogB wrote:
Probably the worst place for pollution is within the M25, but that is all the courts and Westminster are interested in. The rest of the country comes a distant second place to London...... apparently its grim ooop North Shocked

Quote:
From my personal point of view, I would like to see the M25 turned into a giant wall around London, and then for the Thames barrier to remain open during high tides. Turn the whole area into one giant boating lake and we can all have fun then Laughing

Sounds good to me about the wall, and we could have a drain pipe that dumped all the waste in Mansfield Rolling with laughter

Post #262463 1st May 2015 6:40 pm
blueboy

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

I know this thread is 3 years old but it was an interesting read. I am wondering if there has been any real improvements to diesel cars & if the future is still uncertain for them.

My mate is currently looking at getting another car & he says its not going to be diesel because they are going to be seriously hit in the budget this year.

In my limited capacity of anything to do with cars diesel or petrol would it not be possible to modify the fuel in some way, I guess the nox is a bi product of burning diesel fuel a bit like smoke when you burn coal. You can buy smokeless coal which goes some way to reducing the smoke so something got altered in the coal I guess.

I was reading earlier about councils charging to take a diesel into town & charging more for parking etc so it does seem the writings on the wall for diesels.

Post #355224 19th Aug 2018 8:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>