Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > The beginning of the demise of diesel?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Print this entire topic · 
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

When oil is split to make petrol diesel is also produced along with other agents. So as long as petrol exists they (oil companies) need to sell the diesel bye product so its going to be around for a long time to come but at what price is the question. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #355225 19th Aug 2018 8:03 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

blueboy wrote:
I know this thread is 3 years old but it was an interesting read. I am wondering if there has been any real improvements to diesel cars & if the future is still uncertain for them.

My mate is currently looking at getting another car & he says its not going to be diesel because they are going to be seriously hit in the budget this year.

In my limited capacity of anything to do with cars diesel or petrol would it not be possible to modify the fuel in some way, I guess the nox is a bi product of burning diesel fuel a bit like smoke when you burn coal. You can buy smokeless coal which goes some way to reducing the smoke so something got altered in the coal I guess.

There may be hope: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/103...-emissions Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #355229 19th Aug 2018 9:37 pm
j77

Scotland 

There is still nothing that will really match the mpg of a diesel over long distances. It will be around for a while, and the government hopes so to 💷💷💷💷💷 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #355232 19th Aug 2018 10:32 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

blueboy wrote:

I was reading earlier about councils charging to take a diesel into town & charging more for parking etc so it does seem the writings on the wall for diesels.

Who wants to go into a dirty, over-crowded town if they can help it ?
Just do you shopping on-line , sit back and let them bring it to you - in a diesel van of course Laughing Jules

Post #355236 20th Aug 2018 12:03 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Past master wrote:
blueboy wrote:
I guess the nox is a bi product of burning diesel fuel a bit like smoke when you burn coal. You can buy smokeless coal which goes some way to reducing the smoke so something got altered in the coal I guess.

There may be hope: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/103...-emissions

The problem with Nitrogen Oxides (there are several of them) is that diesels are essentially lean burn engines and take in an excess of oxygen so that after combustion there is a residual mixture of Nitrogen and Oxygen in the exhaust which react together under extreme conditions. In a petrol engine you only take a stoichiometric mixture ie just enough oxygen to burn with the petrol injected into the cylinders so less of a problem. Petrol engines are therefore inherently simpler than modern diesels and don't need all of the emission control stuff that we see on our eco diesels (DPFs, EGRs Adblu etc). The article from Bosch sounds like they a very complicated method of reducing the problem but to me it sounds like it pushes the complexity even further and will never make it to mainstream as electric vehicles will render it obsolete. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #355251 20th Aug 2018 8:43 am
blueboy

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

All very interesting reading guys, hopefully will still be able to drive my 2007 Freelander in immaculate condition for a few years yet. I have only covered 4000 miles this year & thats mostly going to the country to pursue my metal detecting hobby & taking my old aunt to the seaside for the odd day out. The car has only done 42000 miles so a lot of life left in it yet unless it gets scrapped because of its age.

Because of my age now I can use the bus for free to go into town, its just a 10 minute ride & I dont have to worry about parking tickets or finding the car damaged etc on my return after shopping.

I am retiring in October after 50 years of working & my VW Transporter that I have owned from 2 years old is retiring with me in the form of making it into a camper van for some days & nights out with the Mrs. Hopefully both vehicles will be able to stay on the road for the foreseeable future.

Post #355284 20th Aug 2018 6:20 pm
blueboy

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

jules wrote:
blueboy wrote:

I was reading earlier about councils charging to take a diesel into town & charging more for parking etc so it does seem the writings on the wall for diesels.

Who wants to go into a dirty, over-crowded town if they can help it ?
Just do you shopping on-line , sit back and let them bring it to you - in a diesel van of course Laughing

Ha ha yes I agree, I do a lot of non food shopping online & get it delivered to my home. Its easier to have a good look round on the internet & compare prices than trawling around shops etc.

Post #355285 20th Aug 2018 6:53 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I am gradually making more use of my bus pass, its not a bad run into Bristol, and the Park and Ride is also good. I have a slight problem, in that on my return journey, I have been known to get on the wrong bus in the stampede on some city bus stops. At these times the bus staff have proved very kind to an elderly couple.

On a more serious note, I can't see public transport ever taking me across country, or affordable long range electric vehicles being around in the next few years.

Once the tax / business incentives die away, as the Treasury moves to find its lost revenues, petrol and diesel will seem a good and efficient idea. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #355288 20th Aug 2018 7:17 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

dorsetfreelander wrote:

The problem with Nitrogen Oxides (there are several of them) .

As an aside, the chemistry of the oxides of nitrogen is fascinating - changing the ratio of oxygen to nitrogen in the molecule alters the substance hugely...

NO nitric oxide - highly toxic - yet normally produced by the lining of your blood vessels to control tissue blood flow - in disease such as sepsis overproduction produces shock

N2O dinitrogen oxide (aka nitrous oxide) - laughing gas - an analgesic/anaesthetic gas used since the early 19th century - but when used regularly for recreation can cause degeneration of the spinal cord and loss of white blood cells

NO2 nitrogen dioxide - brown gas in car exhaust - forms nitric acid in water - not nice Jules

Post #355296 20th Aug 2018 8:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456