« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Discovery Sport Thread **ALL HERE**
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 31 of 127 <123 ... 303132 ... 125126127>
Print this entire topic · 
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Yes I don't think that JLR have really got their act together if they are trying to hit the premium end of the market. Having bought cars from two different LR dealers and had a car serviced at another I have never been invited to anything or been sent promotional literature.

Last week my son was invited to an event at the local Porsche Centre (he has a 911 as well as a Freelander). I went along too. It was very well organised and I would guess that over 100 people were there. Mulled wine, soft drinks, canapes etc , guest speaker, lots of new and classic cars to look at some of which were in the workshop which was very clean and an advert in itself. I know it's a different sort of market but the contrast was significant. Or perhaps, JLR don't feel they need to do that sort of thing.

Completely different market, which you cannot compare. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #245423 18th Dec 2014 11:32 am
bbrap

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

Just been for my test drive in the DS auto. I felt the dark interior did not do it justice even with the panoramic roof. Privacy glass, smaller rear windows all made it a bit claustrophobic for me. The ride was only slightly firmer with little body roll but I did feel that more road surface imperfections were making their way through the suspension. My missus who was in the back said she definitely felt more through the seats than in the FL. Steering was good and it was easy to place on the road even with he slightly lower driving position. The gearbox was another matter, it seemed to hunt between gears and surge when pulling away. It did it on more than one occasion and I mentioned it to the sales rep, he did explain this was a pre production example and had been well used. Not wishing to slag he car off I suggested that maybe it should be looked at before letting potential buyers loose on it. Overall the build quality looked good, not sure about all the buttons each side of the centre screen, looked cluttered to me. Saying build quality is good is subjective though, this particular example did not have functioning climate control but hopefully things like that will get sorted before they deliver customer cars. The rep said that these particular cars are to be scrapped after the round of test drives is complete as they are not to production specification. I would hope they are stripped and evaluated before scrapping to see how various components are holding up to the abuse from the variety of drivers who have tried them.Overall an interesting drive but I think seeing some production quality cars may give a better insight as to whether I would be willing to shell out £46k for a DS. FL2 Metropolis, Loire Blue, ebony/ivory

Post #245460 18th Dec 2014 4:12 pm
piattj

Wales 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue

I know I'm being (untypically) lazy but can someone confirm if the third row seats can be removed to turn the car into a 5-seater with the bigger load space that would give?

Cheers!
... ...

Be true to yourself. That way happiness lies...

Post #245470 18th Dec 2014 5:30 pm
j77

Scotland 

Bare in mind these cars are pre production cars and not showroom models.

@piattj - I don't think the seats can be removed, also there is cup holders in the floor so it's not completely flat. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Last edited by j77 on 19th Dec 2014 12:43 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #245493 18th Dec 2014 8:23 pm
DrRpb

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Mav71 wrote:
APT100 wrote:
Mav71 wrote:

All I have been told about the baby Disco is that will be about the size of the Freelander 1, maybe a little smaller........

On 5th December you mentioned it would be between size of FL1 and FL2.
Am I missing something?
I'm not trying to put you on the spot or anything, but as I mentioned earlier this is something that would interest me. Thumbs Up

But I also get updated on info every now and then. I am not 100% sure that JLR have decided the size of the production car.

From experience in dealing with the car industry and looking at the way the model line ups are created, I would be surprised if the baby Disco is bigger than a Freelander 1.

Any idea on when this baby Disco will hit the roads? * GONE. GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* GONE.2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Rocket ship. 33mpg.
* Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975 Smile

Post #245499 18th Dec 2014 8:43 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I guess there will be quite a queue for the last of the Freelanders - I'll be there.
IWeve had 5 Freelander GSs and the model really suits what my wife uses it for; carrying muddy dogs and towing traliers . Unfortunately the new DS is over the top in price and spec for our needs. Jules

Post #245500 18th Dec 2014 8:43 pm
xxtrail

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I drove the DS HSE manual followed by HSE Auto a week ago, and was very impressed by both. As I love my FL2 Auto, I'll go for the DS HSE Auto if/when I buy one.

One downside was the small rear screen, much smaller than the Fl2's, though larger than the Evoque's. The rear camera will be a 'must' for me.

I'll definitely go for the skinny spare option too. Just wish they'd brought out a 5 seater with room for a full size spare like I have in my FL2. I gather that they may introduce a 5 seat option in about a year's time. Was GS TD4 Auto, Privacy, Santorini with Tundra & Alpaca, Cold Climate Pack. Traded for Discovery Sport HSE Auto.

Post #245522 19th Dec 2014 1:05 am
j77

Scotland 

I would've prefered a 5 seat option also, the 7 seats aren't a deal breaker but a bit of wasted space for those that don't need them.

I wonder where LR done there research as not one person has said "I'm glad it has 7 seats" Laughing 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #245543 19th Dec 2014 12:10 pm
Purplemadboy

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

If the 7 seats where for adults and a full size spare there would no need for a 5 seat version. Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #245545 19th Dec 2014 12:29 pm
IDL

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Quote:
as not one person has said "I'm glad it has 7 seats"

I'm glad it has 7 seat!

Am I the only one on here who has children, and who sometimes feels like they're running a taxi service?

We were close to buying a VW Touran until we looked at one and realised how boring they are.

Regardless of how useful they are, offering 7 seats is a big attraction for families.

Post #245555 19th Dec 2014 2:23 pm
ccsnet

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Just a little some thing to consider ( and I have not seen mentioned to date on this thread )....

T ( Also a Dad ) Terran

'The' Car For The Modern Day UK Roads ( ie all the pot holes )

'A Freelander that leaks oil is just marking its territory' - Wise words

Now a member of the FL2 'Silly Bill' Club

Post #245565 19th Dec 2014 4:45 pm
dilwyn

United Kingdom 

I did bring this up on P8 of thread .......
"I am not a fan of 7 seats anyway, particularly in a vehicle as short as the Sport, as there is little space between the 6th & 7th seats and the back door to absorb a really serious rear end shunt. "

I also seem to remember CG commentating on it.

Does the EURO ENCAP tests include rear end shunts?

Post #245576 19th Dec 2014 6:26 pm
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

One of the main attractions of the FL2 for me was the slightly elevated driving position. Is it more Evoque/car like in the DS or somewhere between?

Post #245582 19th Dec 2014 6:37 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

IDL wrote:
I'm glad it has 7 seat!

Am I the only one on here who has children ...

No one is suggesting it shouldn't be available with a 7-seat option, just that 7 seats shouldn't be the only option.

What's ridiculous is that the DS is available to order now in other markets with 5 seats. Check out the US version of the brochure - 5 seats standard, 7 seats optional. The US version of 'build your own' ditto. So if the 5 seat version exists, and is already available in other markets, why not here? It makes no sense - except in a rip-off-Britain context. While you're on the US site take a look at the prices too - even taking account of the higher UK taxes they're lower than here, and much closer to the FL2. We're being ripped off as usual.

Post #245587 19th Dec 2014 6:50 pm
Purplemadboy

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

Pab , like for like cars have always been cheaper in North a even tho the car is built in the uk or Europe & with better warranties. Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #245588 19th Dec 2014 6:53 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 31 of 127 <123 ... 303132 ... 125126127>