Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > fuel priming pump help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
spanielman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

hi theox, as I said in the post above I followed fredastiires post with no problems at all and the engine started first time ,if you have not read his post " changing diesel filter" follow it from the beginning iam sure youll have no problems , easiest and cheapest.

Post #229453 20th Jul 2014 10:51 pm
alex_pescaru

Meaning this one.... www.freel2.com/forum/topic7383.html or this one: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic9310.html

Short answer... Fill the fuel filter with diesel through its intake port until the diesel it's getting out on one of the other ports. Then reconnect the fuel lines and you're done.

I would have liked the users use a lot more the Search facility instead of getting into trouble and then ask questions already answered....

Post #229465 21st Jul 2014 7:54 am
dpcwright

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Baltic Blue

I had exactly the same problem when I changed my fuel filter - it was impossible to start and no amount of filling the filter with fuel seemed to help.
Finally the solution was to pressure the fuel tank - this was done with a rag into the fuel filler and an air line. You only need a very low air pressure in the tank to get the fuel to flow out of the discharge pipe - let the air out of the pipe and when you have clear fuel connect it to the filter and mine started.
Best of luck

Post #229473 21st Jul 2014 9:54 am
theox2003

United Kingdom 

Many thanks to my response and totally agree that before implementing any work, research first so that posts are not duplicated.

Post #229474 21st Jul 2014 10:10 am
theox2003

United Kingdom 
Update

Hi guys, right I've managed to get fuel into the filter but it seems as though the pipes into the HP pump do not have any fuel. How can I now get the air out because the car isn't starting.
PLEASE HELP
Cheers
Theox

Post #229509 21st Jul 2014 8:59 pm
alex_pescaru

Disconnect the high pressure fuel pump intake line (at fuel pump connection - below battery) and the filter to tank (return line) connection (at filter connection - upper left one, seeing from front of the car).
Through the disconnected fuel return line, pressurize the tank with and air source.
When fuel will come out at the disconnected fuel pump connection, reinsert the hoses and start the engine.

Post #229517 21st Jul 2014 9:53 pm
j00ppis

Finland 

Hello, could someone make video of changing diesel filter Smile? I went whit my car to carage and they changed filter, i was curious how they did it. What i noticed they took old filter away, and filled the new filter whit old filters diesel and plugged the newone back and started to crank.... Took 3 minutes to crank alltheway until it finaly got somefuel!

I have one diesel filter at my home, and i would like to do that video but i am not 100% sure about all the tips which you have writed because of my english misunderstanding, photos would prefer allso step by step, so i could follow it and record video of changing filter.

Question of pressurising, do you pressurise diesel tank? How, do you put air to tank and seal it whit abit of rag?

Somebody have told that there is priming pump underseat? And its possible to activate by starting electricts on and off many times so it will prime? Is this true?

Post #229534 22nd Jul 2014 7:11 am
theox2003

United Kingdom 

Cheers alex_pescaru. I've got the draper primer coming tomorrow but looking at their diagram they've got one connection to the fuel line and the other to the return fuel line. Please confirm.
Cheers
Theox

Post #229539 22nd Jul 2014 7:47 am
alex_pescaru

Ah, if you have a primer, then by all means, use it.
I've written a simpler method for anybody to use when he has no tools, for example on wilderness, where you can use the air pump for tires, or even the pressure from the tires.

Indeed, with a priming tool you should follow the instructions here: https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...eeding.pdf
But even then, if the system is empty, you may need to disconnect the high pressure fuel pump intake port, af high pressure fuel pump connection, in order to prime it more quickly and efficiently.

Post #229544 22nd Jul 2014 8:55 am
theox2003

United Kingdom 

Cheers and this was the PDF that I went off hence asking the question. Hopefully it arrives tomorrow and I'll be able to update. Once again many thanks as it's much appreciated.

Post #229546 22nd Jul 2014 9:03 am
dpcwright

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Baltic Blue

How to pressurise the fuel tank
Remove the fuel cap
Remove the fuel flow line from the filter
Insert an air line into the fuel filler
Blank off the remainder of the fuel filler with a rag or paper towel
Switch on the air line whilst holding your rag in the fuel filler
Your assistant now holding the fuel flow line will see a mixture of air and fuel flow out of the fuel pipe
When this is clear fuel attach the fuel line to the filter

This process bleeds the fuel flow line and ensures that fuel arrives at the filter - prior to this operation you will need to have filled the filter with fuel.

DO NOT PUT THE FULL 10BAR AIR PRESSURE ONTO THE FUEL TANK - a few squirts of air are adequate

Post #229549 22nd Jul 2014 10:26 am
theox2003

United Kingdom 

Hi dpcwright,

Here's the scenario:

1. Filter replaced and filled with fresh diesel via the bottom as per fredastaire's write up (http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic7383.html)
2. My fuel pipe to the HP pump is empty but do not understand fredastaire's comment about the following: "so then I detached the quick clip connector at the HP pump inlet until Diesel was flowing here before making the final connection and re-tightening the fuel drain screw."
3. If the clip connector is detached at the HP pump inlet how does the diesel flow at this point if no intervention?

As previously mentioned I purchased the Draper fuel primer (arriving tomorrow) but I thought that this was to get fuel into the filter so have I spent unnecessary money when the filter has fuel or should this be used to get the filter completely filled and as soon as the fuel comes out of the HP inlet to HP Pump then reattach connector?

Thanks,
Theox

Post #229553 22nd Jul 2014 11:20 am
alex_pescaru

Last part is true.
Use primer in series with fuel line to suck the fuel from tank and push it into filter and when the filter will be completely full, the fuel will come out at the HPFP inlet, filling this part of the circuit/pipe too.
After reconnecting the HPFP inlet, pump a few more times in order to fill a little the low pressure of the fuel pump.
Only then try to start the engine.
Let it idle for a few minutes and then stop it and disconnect the Draper primer.

Post #229573 22nd Jul 2014 4:15 pm
theox2003

United Kingdom 

Many thanks to you all for your responses especially Alex. Car is going Very Happy
The cost of £15 the Draper primer is well worth it.
Stress level has now decreased a little:)

Post #229662 23rd Jul 2014 6:34 pm
3disco

United Kingdom 

j00ppis wrote:
Hello, could someone make video of changing diesel filter Smile? I went whit my car to carage and they changed filter, i was curious how they did it. What i noticed they took old filter away, and filled the new filter whit old filters diesel and plugged the newone back and started to crank.... Took 3 minutes to crank alltheway until it finaly got somefuel!

I have one diesel filter at my home, and i would like to do that video but i am not 100% sure about all the tips which you have writed because of my english misunderstanding, photos would prefer allso step by step, so i could follow it and record video of changing filter.

Question of pressurising, do you pressurise diesel tank? How, do you put air to tank and seal it whit abit of rag?

Somebody have told that there is priming pump underseat? And its possible to activate by starting electricts on and off many times so it will prime? Is this true?
I would have thought the last diesel you would use would be the possibly contaminated fuel from the old filter?

Post #229665 23rd Jul 2014 8:12 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>