« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Premium Sound Poor (Meridian) on FL2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
trawlerman66

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Mauritius Blue

IanH,

I agree. The Alpine was a superior system and I am also dissapointed with the Meridean. MY13- TD4 XS Mauritius Blue, Privacy glass, Cold climate pack, Tailgate spoiler, Armrest pack, LED signature, Body side mouldings, Full size spare and finally Mudflaps

GONE - MY11 TD4 HSE LAGO GREY Privacy Glass

GONE- 08 GS Stornoway Grey Privacy Glass
GONE- 07 GS Stornoway Grey Privacy Glass
GONE- 04 Silver

Post #186445 4th Jun 2013 6:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
trawlerman66

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Mauritius Blue

IanH,

I agree. The Alpine was a superior system and I am also dissapointed with the Meridean. MY13- TD4 XS Mauritius Blue, Privacy glass, Cold climate pack, Tailgate spoiler, Armrest pack, LED signature, Body side mouldings, Full size spare and finally Mudflaps

GONE - MY11 TD4 HSE LAGO GREY Privacy Glass

GONE- 08 GS Stornoway Grey Privacy Glass
GONE- 07 GS Stornoway Grey Privacy Glass
GONE- 04 Silver

Post #186446 4th Jun 2013 6:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Freelandertwo

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Mauritius Blue

Thanks to all for your input.

Today, I emptied the boot and it is starting to sound a bit better!! (or its running itself in - after about 6hrs music now)
The specs say there are 2 sub-woofers. I found one small one under the false bottom in the boot - not sure where the others are. Strange positioning if filling the boot kills the bass sounds though. I'm back with all tone controls at neutral but empty boot and sounding 6/10. I wonder if there are speaker upgrades easy to do and how much better it would be...

Post #186460 4th Jun 2013 7:18 pm
Slaneydore

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Freelandertwo wrote:
Slaneydore wrote:
Settings need to be adjusted Whistle
when I first got mine I was very disappointed with the sound on the drive home but once I got it home and adjusted all the setting to how I wanted them I was more than pleased Thumbs Up

Very interested in the settings you ended up choosing - I cannot decide! Help!

There wasn't no point in me telling you how mine is set, like others have stated people like to hear things there own way, being a Club DJ i like mine in a certain way and it may not be to your taste Wink

Glad to see your getting there with the sound tho Very Happy BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders
The wanna be other half - http://www.freel2.com/forum/member-carriec.html

Post #186466 4th Jun 2013 7:53 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Road vehicles are notoriously difficult to achieve anywhere near audiophile quality sound. A metal box on wheels has little going for it, let alone the standard speakers not cabinet mounted. Then there is all that 'soft furnishing'. I suppose you could mask it's shortcomings with big power output but it won't make Stravinsky sound any better Big Cry

So i accept there are some technical impossiblities. Makes me appreciate British made pure class A at home where I can waft into another dimension Thumbs Up Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #186509 4th Jun 2013 11:27 pm
Freelandertwo

@Pegleg - I know, but previous FL2 'Premium Sound' systems as well as the one I had in previous car (Alpine) were incredibly good. This Meridian one sounded phenomenal from the advertising but disappoints and frustrates when you need to empty the boot and play with the tone controls to get it anywhere near sounding decent.

This Big Cry or this Rolling with laughter I don't know yet!

Post #186524 5th Jun 2013 7:14 am
j77

Scotland 

This is the second LR I've had with the meridian sound system, I find it pretty good. The acoustics don't sound as good as the Evoque though. It's one of the better in car sound systems I've had. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #186543 5th Jun 2013 10:32 am
realspeed

United Kingdom 

I have got a very good loud speaker for the back, works at full volume, its called the wife

Realspeed Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #186740 6th Jun 2013 9:41 pm
doxxen

2013 LR2 TD4 HSE Manual Fuji White

Even with the Alpine system I think the standard setting is rather cautious with the bass (this is the only way it's bearable to sit in the back).
Put the bass up a few notches and it'll sound good but be careful if you have kids or even adults in the back seats because it can become really uncomfortable being so near the sub.

Post #186749 6th Jun 2013 10:06 pm
geoffk

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

As someone who spent many years at sea listening to the world service on short wave i think the music player is fine.. Laughing Rolling Eyes

Post #186922 8th Jun 2013 9:30 pm
Freelandertwo

OK, a few weeks on and 1k FL2 miles later and I have some conclusions...

The sound is actually okay when parked but poor when the car is moving (and nothing to do with boot load as I previously thought). It is actually best when stationary and engine in ECO, so engine noise is somehow killing the bass and making it boxy and too tinny. I've been driving for 30 years and never had a car which sounds so much worse when driving! I think the sub is under the seat so that will contribute. Strange Meridian have designed something which sounds good only when it's stationary??!!!

Adjusting the tone controls don't really help - they just distorted the sound - so I have ended up leaving the bass control up one small notch because it's just too weak without that. Bass sounds best when up 2 and sub up one but the sound is then too muffled elsewhere - then deafens you with 'boom' when stationary at traffic lights - crazy.

Liking my first ever Land Rover experience other than the sound system Big Cry

Found this interesting thread here on the Evoke Forum - so they are having exactly the same problems!!
Helped conclude what the problem is though!!

http://babyrr.com/forum/thread-1812.html

I'd love to replace/upgrade the speakers if anyone knows how to get the panels off without damaging the car?

Post #189909 1st Jul 2013 12:25 am
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Instructions on how to remove the door card (panel) can be found on the a thread about replacing the door mirror.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic10121.htm...r+assembly

Post #189920 1st Jul 2013 9:32 am
heyho

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I have a 2009 SE and the labels on the speaker grills say Alpine. The unit is one of those digital FM ones (but without DAB or AM may I add) with a 6 CD autochanger. What unit is this? There's a sub in the boot.

Also I noticed that there is not a speaker in the centre of the dashboard. Is that correct?

Post #197771 4th Sep 2013 7:26 am
EYorkshire

@ heyho

On the Alpine system it is confusing.
I believe there are 2 systems, Standard and Premium. Later premium systems had DAB fitted and some had single CD storage and some had six.
Then there are three speaker configurations:
1) Base audio with speakers in each door.
2) Mid range audio with the addition of a 'sub' in the boot.
3) High line audio with the addition of three more on the dash (inc the centre) and in each 'C' pillar.

For instance I have 'Premium' fitted, single CD, DAB and Mid range audio.

Last edited by EYorkshire on 4th Sep 2013 8:40 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #197778 4th Sep 2013 8:32 am
Freelandertwo

Sounds like yours is completely different! From what I've heard the Premium Alpine was much better sound quality overall than the new one.

My2013 speaker grills say Meridian and has 11 speakers including a small one on the centre dashboard. Sub seems to be under the seat although there is also a small bass speaker in the boot too.

To be fair the Meridian interface and iPod controls are great - you can run through play lists and even put them on random (although select a different starting track beforehand - as its tends to play a very similar selection of the same tracks "at random")

I've not ventured into trying to get the panels off and look at replacing the speakers yet. I'm actually getting used to the sound a bit more - especially when in traffic jams and ECO idle with no diesel engine sounds to kill the bass. All tone controls at neutral again and makes being stuck stationary actually pleasant experience.

Post #197780 4th Sep 2013 8:37 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>