Home > In Car Electronics > Premium Sound Poor (Meridian) on FL2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Freelandertwo

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Mauritius Blue
Premium Sound Poor (Meridian) on FL2

Hi,
I'm a first time owner of FL2 - Meridian 380W with 11 speakers - sounds weak (no bass sounds) to my ears...disappointed with it.
It sounds a little better when I move the sound image/balance up to the drivers only position. Not played with Bass/Treble/Sub yet - but prefer to leave these things on central default settings in previous cars. The treble is lovely but no bass. Tried various CDs and iPod but really poor sound..??
Does anyone have a suggestion of tone control to improve it or is it just poor quality?
thanks

Post #186254 2nd Jun 2013 9:59 pm
bish789

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Welcome aboard. I think you've answered your own question. All cars are different internally, so try the controls first with bass treble and sub.

Post #186267 3rd Jun 2013 6:22 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

You haven't filled in your profile so i don't know which model you have.

Mine is a 2008 HSE, there is a large speaker in the tyre well - enough bass to give your kindeys a massage listening to Meatloaf on higher volumes.
Got to admit the treble is turned to minimum, bass to max, and eveything else left as standard.
Play withthe settings - what harm can you do, apart from deafening your passengers. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #186270 3rd Jun 2013 6:59 am
Freelandertwo

Thanks for the replies. My problem with adjusting the bass/treble/sub is some music sounds good with some settings and needs different settings for others - so I'd end up adjusting the tone controls too much and not listening to anything. I've found previous hi-fi systems this indicates a shortcoming somewhere in the system - if I cant get it sounding good on defaults there is something wrong!

@Andy131 - Treble to min & Bass to Max - you can't be serious!

Does anyone else have latest MY2013 "premium" Meridian 380w with 11 speakers setup standard on XS - who can share their opinion. thanks

Post #186271 3rd Jun 2013 7:09 am
IanH

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

We have two MY13 XS's and I have to say the sound system is IMHO inferior to the Alpine system fitted to our two MY10 and MY11 GS's. Its something I complained about in the recent post purchase survey Land Rover asked me to complete.

Post #186276 3rd Jun 2013 8:49 am
Annjeo

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Mauritius Blue

I have an MY13 XS obviously with the same audio setup and for me it seems fine. I have 'tweeked' the settings and added more bass, but then I do that on every car I own. Joanne

Freelander 1.8 Petrol XEi Jan 1998 - 2004
Freelander 2 (MY13) SD4 Auto XS (Mauritius Blue) - May 2013 onwards

Last edited by Annjeo on 3rd Jun 2013 9:17 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #186277 3rd Jun 2013 8:55 am
IanH

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Annjeo - understand where your coming from. My comments refer to what Freelandertwo was saying in the initial post. Like for Like settings - ie default - the Meridian system is pretty naff compared to the Alpine system fitted to the earlier models. I find you have to really crank up the settings on the bass to get it anywhere near sounding half decent.

Post #186278 3rd Jun 2013 9:01 am
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I have a recently aquired MY13 XS with this sound system. (which includes a sub woofer in the boot) I have been very impressed with the sound sytem when running from CD or other digital input. I run all the tone controls at just a little bit + on the mid setting and in my view there is loads of bass noise.

All that said, I guess that the two possible variables are a) your sytem is faulty or b)personal taste!! some people these days seem to like bass wound up enough to make their ears bleed!!

I can't really comment on how it compares with earlier systems, but if it does not respond to changes in the tone control you may have a faulty unit

Just re read your follow up post.......If you are having to adjust it between different music then is not the fault more likely to be the source material. (I was brought up on audio equipment that had no tone controls as they only degrade the sound!!)

Steve

Post #186280 3rd Jun 2013 9:23 am
Freelandertwo

@Annjeo - can you remember how much have you adjusted the bass? Interested in what settings you have moved and how much! thanks.

@IanH - Yes, my previous car (Jaguar) had Alpine Premium Hi-Fi and was much better!

@Jenks1950 - Many thanks, I will try adjusting all with + and see how it sounds. I don't think its faulty - think I was expecting it to sound better for a premium system. I totally agree on audio equipment with no tone control is what I am used to as well!

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

Post #186283 3rd Jun 2013 9:46 am
ccsnet

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

One thing I will say is that the sound in mine ( HSE spec 7.1 ) is clearer.... is that what your experiencing may be ? My other half has said the same but going back to hers ( Astra SE ) its more muffled which led me to that conclusion.

One thing I will say is that I put up the bass a fair bit so the sub can play with a certain amount of F/R mix.

In short it takes a bit of playing plus source can also vary from CD to CD / Mp3 to Mp3.

Best getting some demo tracks from the net which cover the true range of sound.

T Terran

'The' Car For The Modern Day UK Roads ( ie all the pot holes )

'A Freelander that leaks oil is just marking its territory' - Wise words

Now a member of the FL2 'Silly Bill' Club

Post #186285 3rd Jun 2013 10:44 am
PeakWayfarer

United Kingdom 

Hi
I have a 2013 HSE with the Meridian 825 watt System very pleased with the sound but noticed a big difference with the various settings - stereo, Meridian and the two Dolby's, so it probably worth playing with these as well until you find an acceptable sound

Post #186286 3rd Jun 2013 10:45 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Freelandertwo wrote:

@Andy131 - Treble to min & Bass to Max - you can't be serious!

Never said I had good taste in music, or any finesse, but yes perfectly serious.
Tinny noises REALLY get on my nerves, and I like music you can feel.
So treble off, bass on max, volume in the high twenties to max (when I'm on my own).
Not a care in the world "pottering" down the motorway listening to rock music for 90 minutes each way to and from work - no better way to start the day. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #186363 4th Jun 2013 5:57 am
Slaneydore

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Settings need to be adjusted Whistle
when I first got mine I was very disappointed with the sound on the drive home but once I got it home and adjusted all the setting to how I wanted them I was more than pleased Thumbs Up BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders
The wanna be other half - http://www.freel2.com/forum/member-carriec.html

Post #186367 4th Jun 2013 6:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Freelandertwo

Slaneydore wrote:
Settings need to be adjusted Whistle
when I first got mine I was very disappointed with the sound on the drive home but once I got it home and adjusted all the setting to how I wanted them I was more than pleased Thumbs Up

Very interested in the settings you ended up choosing - I cannot decide! Help!

Post #186368 4th Jun 2013 6:30 am
Annjeo

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Mauritius Blue

Quote:

Very interested in the settings you ended up choosing - I cannot decide! Help!

I am no expert with sound or music, infact I don't use it in-car a great deal, but just to answer your earlier question for me, I turned my bass up a couple of levels and left treble at the standard setting. However I don't see how others telling you what they have done within the existing controls can help you in setting your audio? Surely everyone has a different 'ear' for sound, what suits one will not necessarily be the right tone for another, you just have to play around with the set up yourself until you are happy. There's no right or wrong about this, unless of course there really is something wrong with the system, then I think others have suggested ways to work that out.

Good luck with sorting it out though, I'm sure you will eventually. Thumbs Up Joanne

Freelander 1.8 Petrol XEi Jan 1998 - 2004
Freelander 2 (MY13) SD4 Auto XS (Mauritius Blue) - May 2013 onwards

Post #186380 4th Jun 2013 8:05 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>