Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > My Freelander Auto Biography
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 10 <12345678910>
Print this entire topic · 
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

So today was put aside for the brake replacement/upgrade.

This is the kit I bought, M-Tec cross drilled brakes with Mintex Pads.

But I decided I wanted genuine Land Rover Pads, but after a bit of research, I found that Land Rover use TRW pads. So I sourced TRW pads locally and got both sets for just 」55 inc VAT.

So I have a full set of brand new Mintex pads if anyone is interested!

So off I went! Although not obvious, I have also replaced my side repeaters with new genuine clear units. My existing clear units were copies and had started to go a bit yellow.

Here is the first front brake complete. I decided to take off the calliper, clean it up and paint it silver just to tidy things up.

I always make a point of washing the inside of the wheels when ever they are taken off.

The Rear stripped. I also cleaned out the hand brake area by blowing out all the dust and top and tailing the shoes.

Partially built up, again the callipers were removed and painted before re-fitting. Of course the copper slip was used.

All done, hand brake adjusted.

Then out for a drive across country and main roads for about 15-20 miles. As I paid extra to have the silver protective coating on the discs, they recommended a good first drive to wear this off the disc face.

So what are my thoughts? Too early to say of course as they are not properly bedded in. But the quality of the discs is excellent, I think they look very good. Very glad I didn't go for grooved as this could look a bit boy racerish for this type of car.

But I did do one very hard brake after we had been out this evening and done about 50 miles and they do bite extremely well under hard braking. Much better than before. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #197244 31st Aug 2013 10:39 pm
gravon 42

United Kingdom 2013 LR2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

They look very impressive. Why didn't you clean and paint the suspension unit
while you were there Mav? Whistle Not being facetious, just a thought. 2013 Dynamic Santorini black
2011 XS Lago grey
2007 HLS Stornoway grey
sometimes towing an Elldis AVANTE 574.

Post #197264 1st Sep 2013 10:14 am
Mav71

Unnecessary quote removed
please use reply instead of the quote button

The wheel arches are normally a lot cleaner. But to start painting the suspension components would take an age and would be a massive job to do properly so it doesn't look half done.

I would rather let her grow old gracefully rather than have the suspension hand painted and look crap. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #197513 2nd Sep 2013 1:14 pm
ghawk2005

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I've just read pretty much the whole of this 7-8 pages in one go and have to say I'm stunned at the level of detail of not only the write up but the time and effort that must have gone in to getting your freelander the way it looks now. You must have spent a fortunte on it not to mention the insane hours! I wish I had the skills and money (and patience) to do that. Superb job!! Smile

oh and btw what did you use to clean the engine bay ?
Thanks

Post #200759 25th Sep 2013 11:39 pm
Mav71

Thanks for the kind words. All I did on the engine bay was to use Auto Glyms engine and machine cleaner and jet wash it off.

I do that once a year to keep things nice and clean. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #200985 27th Sep 2013 9:18 pm
chrisr1806

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I have never cleaned the engine bay. Doubt it has been done since it was new. Embarassed Always worried of damaging something, is there any product that I could just give it a wipe with?

Sorry for my ignorance. Embarassed (Again!)

Post #200995 27th Sep 2013 9:34 pm
taztastic

England 

A cloth

Post #200996 27th Sep 2013 9:35 pm
chrisr1806

Yes, even I would know that. Laughing

Would multi purpose cleaner be ok?

Post #200997 27th Sep 2013 9:39 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

A bit of fairy liquid mixed with hot water has always done a good job for me Laughing just use an old rag Thumbs Up

Post #201025 28th Sep 2013 12:31 am
chrisr1806

Thanks LR NUT! Thumbs Up

Post #201047 28th Sep 2013 10:00 am
Mav71

The way todays cars are built and modern electrics with up to date IP ratings for plugs etc, jet washing or steam cleaning every now and then doesn't hurt in any way.

I have done all of my cars over the years. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #201108 28th Sep 2013 5:47 pm
taztastic

England 

That's handy to know, I wasn't sure and kept meaning to ask, I suppose common sense, not too close to things and not directly into things Thumbs Up

Post #201113 28th Sep 2013 6:12 pm
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Paul, I was told by an Autoglym employee when I visited them in Letchworth a couple years ago, that it is wise to wrap connectors/plugs and such like in cling film, plus tin foil (which moulds around the general bits better) before jet washing or hosing etc as an extra precaution.

If you go down this path, it is imperative that you remove aforementioned tin foil etc before attempting to start the engine, as you may cook/fry various components if you forget.

Once on, a liberal squirt of Engine and Machine Cleaner, as per Mav's reply, and a good scrub with a long handled radiator brush, followed by a soft rinse will bring it up spotless. If you want to be really poncy, spray the plastics with Vinyl and Rubber Care, and allow to dry naturally for a brand new showroom look. Thumbs Up Foraging near Gaydon....
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #201126 28th Sep 2013 7:14 pm
Mav71

To be honest, I have never wrapped any plug. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #201240 29th Sep 2013 5:37 pm
Mav71

Well I have made a start on the 2013MY grill upgrade. I didn't want to get a complete bumper as the 2011MY and 2013MY bumpers are identical. It is just the grill surround that is different.

So I managed to buy a grill section which was cut off from a damaged Dynamic bumper.

I removed the black surround and silver trim form the main grill.

Not too bad of a job. All I have to do now is remove the existing grey one from the front grill on my car, and fit the new one.

Just to get an idea of how it will look, I placed the new one on the car to see what it would look like.

Will probably do this now next weekend as I haven't got the time this weekend. But it should look OK.

Click image to enlarge
 Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #203702 18th Oct 2013 10:32 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 10 <12345678910>