Home > Australia & New Zealand > Hayman Reese Towbar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
FreddyFL

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Fuji White
Hayman Reese Towbar

Hi guys,

Sorry to raise this age old subject again, however just need some clarification.

A few months ago, I had a Hayman Reese towbar fitted to my Freelander 2SE. It was fitted with the supplied ECU specific for the Freelander.

When I just had my car serviced by the local dealership, I asked them to sort out the reverse sensors and the answer I got was that the HSE model has a switch on the dash to turn them off, but the SE doesnt and so there is nothing that can be done unless using a genuine Landrover towbar assembly.

I was of the understanding that Hayman Reese manufacture the towbar assemblies for Landrover Australia - True or False?

What is the deal with reversing sensors, and the infamous green indicator on the dash? Is there a way for to programme the reverse sensors so theyre disabled automatically when a trailer is plugged in?

Thanks in advance guys....

Post #145543 13th Jun 2012 2:55 am
reklaw1947

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Alaska White

I've got the HR tow bar but the OEM LR wiring loom (HR didn't offer a loom when I fitted the bar). Sensors are turned off automatically when the trailer is plugged in. I would have thought HR loom would do this as well; have you talked to them?
Rob 2009 TD4 SE, Alaska White, Ebony Leather, Sun Roof.

Post #145581 13th Jun 2012 1:29 pm
djwhyte

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

I have the HR towbar and ECU. LR told me they couldnt program the car for it,I would need the LR ECU! 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #145762 14th Jun 2012 11:05 pm
nosliwedaw

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

I had the HR bar and the LR ecu which worked a treat.. However, you can get the sensors to stop working by fitting a Narva 7 pin flat plug with reed switch. Just connect the earth from the parking sensors to the switch. The sensor control box thing is behind the panel on the passenger side of the boot.

Post #152160 24th Aug 2012 9:57 am
Dropbear

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Zermatt Silver

I had the HR bar fitted with their electrics. I simply fitted a switch across the rear fuse (I think it was FB1, you need to check the wiring diagram). On the rare occasions that I use the bar I simply switch the rear parking sensors off. With only one LR dealer in SA they charge absolute maximum dollars for all and any accessory and wouldn’t even give me a fixed price quote for a towbar otherwise I would have gone original. A trip over the border is planned for the next purchase!

Post #152286 25th Aug 2012 11:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nairbr

Australia 2012 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Orkney Grey

Hi when I bought my Freelander the dealer told me that Towbars Perth, 15 Frobisher Street Osbourne Park are the guys to go to for fitting of Hayman Reece gear on Land Rovers.
They are almost next door to the dealer, so it might be an idea to give them a call and get them to program yours to work properly because I fairly sure that you have to turn on something in the ECU/CCF to let the car know that it has a towbar.

Post #153124 1st Sep 2012 1:33 am
outlear

Australia 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Nairbr wrote:
Hi when I bought my Freelander the dealer told me that Towbars Perth, 15 Frobisher Street Osbourne Park are the guys to go to for fitting of Hayman Reece gear on Land Rovers.
They are almost next door to the dealer, so it might be an idea to give them a call and get them to program yours to work properly because I fairly sure that you have to turn on something in the ECU/CCF to let the car know that it has a towbar.

I spoke to them and they told me all they can do is a fit a switch to turn off the sensors.

Post #156511 5th Oct 2012 2:51 am
meken

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I have a HR bar installed by pedders

The LR oem loom retails for almost $900 - LR sold one to me for about $650 after some negotiating. They wanted to charge & arm & leg to install it - reckoned more than 4 hours of labour.

I had them plug it in & programme it. then i had a 12 pin flat installed to replace the 2 UK plugs (which by the way are not wired to Aus standards and will lock up your electric trailer brakes when you turn on your lights - the plug has 2 tail lights wires and one is in pin 5 where aus ebc wire goes)

The trailer wiring loom & programming also activates trailer sway assist in the stability control (or so i've read) as well as disabling the rear park sensors & having the little trailer light flash on the dash.

sorting out some issues with led lights on the trailer (as the led's don't offer enough resistance for the car to see a trailer plugged in)

Post #201364 30th Sep 2013 4:17 am
meken

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

oh and check out landrover spares in adelaide - they have used trailer looms they'll sell you for about $450

Post #205936 5th Nov 2013 5:00 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1