Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > 2009 TD4 Getting Chipped (re-mapped)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
doka

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
2009 TD4 Getting Chipped (re-mapped)

Hi Guys,

Im posting this up as I thought it may be interesting to some who are considering or have thought about geting their TD4 remapped.

I have just dropped my 2009 TD4 over to Bruce Davis at Divis Performance Landrover and he will be chipping it this week for me. Its going to get a Dyno run before and after the remap so it will be interesting to see the improvement.

He is also going to see if he can turn off the EGR signal in the new re-map which will allow blanking off the EGR.

From some of the graphs the improvements in Tourque, HP and Economy seem quite impressive and from all acounts the Auto shifts a lot smooter.

Currently my mileage is around the 9.4 L/100KM (based on my last 3 Months Fuel costs/fillups) so it will be interesting to see how that changes once the work has been done and a few months has passed.

Cost wise you are looking at around $1000.00 tyo get your vehicle done by Bruce.

Anyway, just thought I would ipen up the conversation on this and will post the results from the Dyno Run, how it feels after and what effect on economy it has longer term.

Post #195539 19th Aug 2013 3:15 am
multiLuke

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Hi Doka,
It will be interesting to see how it performs afterwards. I have only recently purchased my Freelander SD4 and had thought of doing something similar when its out of warranty. What kind of extra strain do you think this will put on the transmission and diffs?
I ask as I read that the Aisin transmission in the Freelander2 was only rated to 440Nm of torque. Please correct me if I am wrong as I did read it on wikipedia below, and I know how not to trust wiki. This did put me off doing anything to the engine though so will be good to hear of any issues doing this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC

My SD4 has already had the Haldex and rear diff replaced under warranty with an "apparent newer generation haldex unit designed to better handle the SD4". At least thats what the dealer said.
cheers,
Luke

Post #195581 19th Aug 2013 12:59 pm
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

That was my initial reaction. If you squeeze more juice out of it then the stress and strain on the motor and drivetrain has to increase. I think that Toyota has built a reputation for reliability by detuning their motors. The 3litre Hilux has considerably less power and torque than a 2.2litre FL2 and I don't think it's because Toyota can't make engines. They recognize the difference in reliability between a thoroughbred race horse and a draft horse. I wish you well with the chip anyway. Cheers.

Post #195710 19th Aug 2013 10:21 pm
doka

While a chip or remap will increase torque and HP, that is not the be all and end all.

Have a think about how often you drive your vehicle at Max HP/Torque, probably not too often. Obviously if you are the sort of person who drives around with their foot to the floor and abuse your car then expect damage, and expect it even with a stock vehicle.

I have spent quite a bit of time looking into various chips/remaps and how they have effected the car long term and so far I cant find any one who has reported that the chip/remap has damaged their car, transmission etc. Even after 5 years at 489Nm and used as a tow vehicle, no damage has occurred. In fact every report is positive.

The benefits of the remap are more than just the hp/torque as stated above, They also include :

Better fuel economy
Smoother transmission shifts
reduced turbo lag
Smoother power delivery

If someone can show me evidence/experiences to suggest that the chips/remaps are killing running gear/transmissions, I would be very interested.

Post #195721 20th Aug 2013 3:58 am
Dunk

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Nazca Sand

I have a Superchips Bluefin on mine, only a mild tune. Pulls cleaner throughout the gears, especially 6th, offers a nicer driving experience generally and is slightly better on fuel if the OBC is to be believed. Nice thing about these is it can be removed and installed in minutes and the mfrs are happy to adjust maps to suit your preferences.

I paid £300 while on offer and I would get again...have used good quality plug in boxes before (DTUK) and had no issues in well over 100,000 miles collectively, (approx' 80,000 miles was with one car).

Post #195793 20th Aug 2013 5:54 pm
meken

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

any updates - how is the remap ?

Post #206678 11th Nov 2013 12:40 am
doka

So far could not be happier..easily getting over 700km to a tank around town, power(tourque) is a lot more linear and slightly further down the rev range. So could not be happier..

Post #206680 11th Nov 2013 4:10 am
Adrian888

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

I have had about 10 diesels remapped over the past 13 years with my Audi now on 100k miles since remapping. NEVER had any problems even with a vauxhall taken from 120 to 200 horses and the Audi is still on the original clutch too.V eh tu?

Post #206714 11th Nov 2013 2:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1