Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Debate - Ad Nauseum
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

The plane moves at take off speed because it has jet engine pushing it through the air , the wheel conveyor thing is irrelevant. All that wheels on a plane do is stop it damaging its belly on take off/landing.

I shall say no more, obviously your minds are all vastly inferior to mine

and Taz Cleethorpes is in Lincolnshire (Yorkshire's nice neighbours) At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #129239 26th Jan 2012 11:31 am
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

the plane would take off as it would move fprward off the treadmill due to air thrust from the jet engines, in fact the treadmill is, in this case, a complete irrelevance.
The effect would be the same as a sea plane taking off against the current of moving water , something which happens all the time

Post #129240 26th Jan 2012 11:33 am
EYorkshire

Quote:
The plane moves at take off speed because it has jet engine pushing it through the air

It's not pushing it through the air, the plane is stationary, it's a bloody windless scenario, the only time it would take off is if it was all put in a wind tunnel. Banging Head

Taz, I hope you have a link to educate Mr George on this, he's letting Yorkshire down. Rolling Eyes

Post #129242 26th Jan 2012 11:36 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Gunfa wrote:
So if the plane had no wheels it would still take off ?

Imagine a plane without wheels. The fuselage would sit on the runway, and as you fired up the engines, it would skid spectacularly along the runway, possibly spewing sparks in its wake and blow up

No matter how fast it was going, the frictional force against the airplane would be constant; friction does not depend on speed! If the engines were strong enough to get the plane up to the critical take-off speed, then it would still take off. The only reason planes have wheels is to reduce this sliding friction. The wheels roll along the runway instead of sliding, and the only friction that the plane feels is in the bearings of the wheels. This is substantially less than the friction that a sliding fuselage would create, and it's a much smoother ride for the passengers as well.

If you took out the friction from the wheels completely, whether thats the wheel bearing or deformation of the wheels through spinning, the wheels would spin in the opposite direction the power of the engine pulling the plane, will cause forward motion, plane moves at 200mph right, treadmill 200mph left, wheels travelling 400mph (or the equivalent rpm) the plane would be moving forward enough to provide airflow over its wings and generate lift.

Its all down to fact if the plane can move forward to generate lift, to do this you have to overcome friction, whether that removing the law from the equation or overcoming it with excess power to negate friction in to forward propulsion

so its down to plane physically having to move from point A to C, it can't sit there at point B with the floor moving fast below and take off as the airflow isn't there, if you then factored in the wind moving towards the plane it would factor in lift, hence the reason why test are done in wind tunnels, static object is provide with lift via the tunnels turbine cause the airflow. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #129243 26th Jan 2012 11:41 am
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Dose nobody on this site ever watch Mythbusters on Discovery . because that's what there sort out !!
It was on a few months back, but the same question was asked,
Even the test pilot said the plane would not take off,
But it made no differences ( The plane will take off) Thumbs Up

This may make you think !! Its very simple but most people get wrong first time. !!

On a tank (track driven) which track is traveling the fasted - The top or the bottom !! Forwards or backwards !! Thumbs Up

Post #129244 26th Jan 2012 11:48 am
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

watch this it may help !! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

&feature=related

&feature=related

Post #129247 26th Jan 2012 11:53 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

The plane wasnt kept static in the MB episode and the small scale test wasn't a real life situation

I watch it all the time sometimes they are spot on other not so close and this needs redoing again and fine tuning Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #129250 26th Jan 2012 11:58 am
chicken george

bottom of tank track doesnt travel it stays still the idler wheels move along the track At work
At home

Post #129257 26th Jan 2012 12:48 pm
chicken george

can someone please explain how they think a flat conveyor belt is transferring enough energy to the planes wheels to overcome the forward thrust of the propeller/jet. At work
At home

Post #129260 26th Jan 2012 1:28 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

its all how you perceive the word treadmill, ie running on the spot

people think treadmill is running stationary, but one you over come the friction of the wheels then you will take off just like on any other runway, the way i was looking at it and perceived the questions was that the plane was to remain stationary,

if you allow the plane to be a object that can "run off" the treadmill and the treadmill is of sufficient length for the plane to reach take off speed, then yes it will take off

Fun this isn't Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #129267 26th Jan 2012 2:02 pm
EYorkshire

Your'e right Nick, the treadmill matches exactly the speed of the accelerating plane, so the plane is stationary.

Forget the wheels for a moment, they are there to allow the plane to move due to the thrust from the engine. For every force exerted there is an equal and opposite force, so on a runway this force from the engine would enable the plane to gather speed until the airflow over and under the wings allowed lift due to high pressure under the wings, this is the point calculated with speed and airflow for the pilot to pull back on the stick.

Now if the runway was swapped for a 2 mile conveyor then as it started to accelerate and the conveyor automatically compensated for the movement, so in effect the plane would stand motionless and the engine thrust would just be keeping it from going backwards in the same direction as the conveyor was travelling. There would be no airflow over or under the wings so no lift would occur.

In practice this is impossible to achieve, all anyone has done is increased the plane speed more than the conveyor speed in which case airflow becomes present enabling lift.

Censored ing hilarious Laughing

Post #129270 26th Jan 2012 2:20 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

so basically the pilot would have to keep he plane at the same speed of the 2 mile conveyor belt (treadmill is too small) to prevent backwards movement and that shows the pilot is not trying to take off Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #129272 26th Jan 2012 2:31 pm
chicken george

stand on a tread mill with roller skates on you will stay stationary with ease, someone could push you forwards with not much more effort than if you were a stationary treadmill, put a rocket on your back and you travel forwards hit the control panel and bang your nose, serves you right At work
At home

Post #129285 26th Jan 2012 3:36 pm
EYorkshire

But the question states

Quote:
This conveyor has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyor to be exactly the same

No matter how hard you push or the force of the rocket, the treadmill is programmed to match that speed so therefore it will remain motionless.

Post #129287 26th Jan 2012 3:51 pm
chicken george

but the treadmill isnt slowing you down its simply spinning the wheels Banging Head At work
At home

Post #129288 26th Jan 2012 3:54 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>