Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Past master wrote:
charrodine wrote:
Get one of these Thumbs Up

Hmm. What are they like off-road? Seriously, I would consider it, but like most Londoners I'd need a few hundred metres of cable to link it from whatever spot I can find to park, up to my power point to charge it. And of course the local yobs would love that. And that's not to mention the neighbour who would "accidentally" trip over the cable and sue me. Rolling with laughter

put a diesel powered generator in the boot Thumbs Up a 6cylinder one, and then run a drive shaft to the rear wheels through a gearbox At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #81345 20th Nov 2010 10:20 pm
rt

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey
MY11 DPF fault at 616 miles

Engine stalled today and on restart engine managenent light came on and reduced power message on dash. Land Rover Assist attended and found DPF differential pressure too low. Apparently he has been to a few and the fix is to replace a clip on the pressure sensing pipe on the DPF - hope this is a long term fix.

Post #81702 24th Nov 2010 8:54 pm
Atrix

Latvia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Lago Grey

I am a member of the German board: blacklandy.de and I am one of those experiencing clogged-DPF problems with FL2. This is the longest thread in our forum - 70 pages. It seems that JLR has not been able, at least till the model-year 2011, to adapt properly the DPF to the given engine. I am not a German nor a fan of German motor industry, but somehow they seem to have coped more successfully with this than JLR. A member of our forum wrote that Volkwagen, for instance, was forced to invest a lot of effort and, apparently, money to avoid the clogging of DPF since the German Federal Post allegedly threatened to stop buying their cars for post delivery purposes. Of course, some owners of German brands may still have this problem, but the scale compared to FL2 is much lower. It is a pitty and a shame that JRL fails to admit having this fault. As it has been mentioned here, 80% of cars affected by the DPF-problem are manuals. I am also driving a manual. The car has only 16 TKm on the clock and from the first day I was following the YF's advice and adding 2-stroke-oil to the diesel. By doing this I hoped to avoid a clogged DPF-thing. But in vain. At 14.000 km and 2 weeks after the first service the car without a prior warning went directly on limp mode. Instead of attending to my appointment I was forced to spend my time for begging a dealer to have a look at it and slowly driving to him to fix this problem. But some folks from our board have gone trough switching to the limp mode while driving on the over-take-lane of a motor way. Must have been a very interesting feeling Smile I do a lot of city-driving but at least once a week I drive longer distances. But it does not help because you have no idea when and if the regeneration really has started and been completed. There is no indicator for that.
As Alex rightly pointed out, the only cure is driving hihg-revs. If you have a car with DPF you should try to keep your revs not below 2000 and switch to a higher gear between 2.500 and 3.000. It is a nonsense, because instead of riding on high-torque at low revs, you have to drive it like a car with petrol engine in order to keep the DPF clean. The consumption increases and the emissions rise as well. Apart from driving on low gears I changed the engine-oil to an oil fulfilling C1/C2-norm (for cars with DPF) and I started filling a more expensive diesel (in Germany, at petrol stations you can buy normal diesel and the expensive one, having a higher cetan-number). And I discarded the 2-stroke-oil. After having made these changes I have no DPF-problems any more. But I don't like this high-rev-driving at all Smile I hope my comment will be helpful to people having FL2 with DPF Wink

Post #81812 25th Nov 2010 8:56 pm
DervFan

England 

Atrix - Thanks for your useful feedback. Thumbs Up
I am the OP and have just had a s/w update from JLR dealer for MY2011. So far I've driven around 1500Kms since the s/w upgrade and haven't had the ECU put into limp.

I'm not sure whether the car has gone through DPF regeneration process recently as I haven't smelt anything unusual like the first time this occured. I drive 160Km daily - mostly motorway and have adjusted my driving style for local roads - but not on the motorway..... time will tell whether JLR have fixed this for MY2011..... Rolling Eyes 

Click image to enlarge

MY2011 FL2 TD4 HSE | Stornoway Grey | Ebony Leather | Piano Black Trim | 18" Standard Wheels | Privacy Glass | Full Size Spare
MODS | Side Tubes | 19" Diamond's |

Post #81813 25th Nov 2010 9:16 pm
Atrix

Thank you DervFan. I am just wondering, if the cars earlier than 2011MY would be eligible for this update. I have already posted an excerpt of this discussion concerning this upgrade in the German board. But speaking frankly I envy the British for not having the DPF on their cars - at least till now Smile Or should I say: Welcome To The Club (of people having FL2s with DPF) !! ?Smile just kidding Smile

Post #81816 25th Nov 2010 9:28 pm
Atrix

Here we go again! DPF-full on the display today, while driving to airport Smile Thank' s God, the car didn't go on emergency mode and after driving 10 min in 2nd and 3rd gear at high revs, the display message disappeared. FL2 is definitely a very nice car, but the trust in JRL is lost.

Last edited by Atrix on 26th Nov 2010 9:50 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #81910 26th Nov 2010 2:47 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Atrix wrote:
Here we go again! DPF-full on the display today, while driving to airport Smile Thank' s God, the car didn't went on emergency mode and after driving 10 min in 2nd and 3rd gear at high revs, the display message disappeared. FL2 is definitely a very nice car, but the trust in JRL is lost.

Atrix - see my earlier comments on this thread concerning DPF problems. As you will see I have had similar problems which has resulted in the whole DPF system being exchanged under warranty. However I had had the DPF FULL - VISIT DEALER warning twice earlier and each time the dealer checked the system and did the DPF cleaning routine (as explained in the handbook). After each of these we had no problem for a while.

However shortly after the second of these dealer visits we got the warning again and Freely went into limp mode. At the time we where (fortunately) on a motorway and could try the DPF cleaning routine as explained, but this didn't seem to fix the problem. A quick telephone to a mechanic pal who has earlier worked on Land Rovers said that after going through the cleaning routine you must STOP the motor and wait for a "while" (this is NOT mentioned in the handbook). This I did and when started again after 15 mins wait Freely worked as though nothing had happened Shocked

However when I told this to my dealer they ordered the new DPF from England (took a month to get) and as mentioned replaced the whole system. Time will tell if the problem returns.

My driving is mainly long runs (very little town driving) and usually not slowly although cruising speed is often around the 2000 rpm mark, so the comments about this may well be a cause of the DPF problem on manual models?

I also think that Land Rover dealers are trying to cover up the problem. Either dealers really do not know or they have been told to keep quiet by LR. I suspect the latter, despite what has been declared by James (a LR dealer) comments on this thread. One thing is for sure, my dealer would NOT have got the OK from LR to exchange the whole DPF system just before it went out of warranty if it was not necessary, particularly as at the time of the system being changed I had not had any further problems for about two months.

Hope this experiance may help others in some way Question 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #81913 26th Nov 2010 3:42 pm
Atrix

Thank you, AndyC for sharing your experience Smile I love driving my FL2, an excellent car in many respects. But producer's attitude to the DPF-problem... And it is not something I have made up, it is really annoying not to know when this troyan poorly installed by JRL and totally unpredictable will let you down next time. The robust image of this great car is delusive since you'd better not drive too far from a service station in case you needed a forcible DPF-regeneration Wink

Last edited by Atrix on 26th Nov 2010 7:04 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #81937 26th Nov 2010 6:49 pm
DervFan

England 

AndyC wrote:
Atrix wrote:
Here we go again! DPF-full on the display today, while driving to airport Smile Thank' s God, the car didn't went on emergency mode and after driving 10 min in 2nd and 3rd gear at high revs, the display message disappeared. FL2 is definitely a very nice car, but the trust in JRL is lost.

Atrix - see my earlier comments on this thread concerning DPF problems. As you will see I have had similar problems which has resulted in the whole DPF system being exchanged under warranty. However I had had the DPF FULL - VISIT DEALER warning twice earlier and each time the dealer checked the system and did the DPF cleaning routine (as explained in the handbook). After each of these we had no problem for a while.

However shortly after the second of these dealer visits we got the warning again and Freely went into limp mode. At the time we where (fortunately) on a motorway and could try the DPF cleaning routine as explained, but this didn't seem to fix the problem. A quick telephone to a mechanic pal who has earlier worked on Land Rovers said that after going through the cleaning routine you must STOP the motor and wait for a "while" (this is NOT mentioned in the handbook). This I did and when started again after 15 mins wait Freely worked as though nothing had happened Shocked

However when I told this to my dealer they ordered the new DPF from England (took a month to get) and as mentioned replaced the whole system. Time will tell if the problem returns.

My driving is mainly long runs (very little town driving) and usually not slowly although cruising speed is often around the 2000 rpm mark, so the comments about this may well be a cause of the DPF problem on manual models?

I also think that Land Rover dealers are trying to cover up the problem. Either dealers really do not know or they have been told to keep quiet by LR. I suspect the latter, despite what has been declared by James (a LR dealer) comments on this thread. One thing is for sure, my dealer would NOT have got the OK from LR to exchange the whole DPF system just before it went out of warranty if it was not necessary, particularly as at the time of the system being changed I had not had any further problems for about two months.

Hope this experiance may help others in some way Question

Hi Andy - when LR Assist went through 'forced' DPF regeneration using SDD - my car did not automatically reset. So we had to go through various Engine/Ignition On/Off states - eventually the light didn't illuminate when the ignition was started. Essentially I don't think that the light goes off - until you STOP the car as you noticed....

I suspect my car will attempt DPF regeneration this weekend - so will keep an eye out and report back here....

Thanks for sharing your experiences also....

DF 
Click image to enlarge

MY2011 FL2 TD4 HSE | Stornoway Grey | Ebony Leather | Piano Black Trim | 18" Standard Wheels | Privacy Glass | Full Size Spare

Post #81940 26th Nov 2010 7:03 pm
rt

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey
MY11 DPF fault at 616mls update

After the fault had been fixed by Land Rover Assistance, I was contacted by the dealer the following day to bring the vehicle in for a software update for this problem. This was carried out today and will report if the problem re-occurs.

Post #81944 26th Nov 2010 9:23 pm
dancer

As posted recently in this thread have had two 'Reduced Engine Power' messages within three weeks. On 22/11/10 had the software update done as per LR Special service Message 46057. Will see what happens...

Post #81956 26th Nov 2010 11:54 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

There seem to be at least two threads open on this topic. For what it's worth, a LR Experience instructor last week told me that they use the higher quality diesel in all their cars (and in his own cars) and that this has cured the DPF problem. Could be correct, I suppose! He reckons the higher rated diesel is worth it in terms of economy and performance.

Post #107052 5th Jul 2011 3:30 pm
DervFan

England 

Past master wrote:
There seem to be at least two threads open on this topic. For what it's worth, a LR Experience instructor last week told me that they use the higher quality diesel in all their cars (and in his own cars) and that this has cured the DPF problem. Could be correct, I suppose! He reckons the higher rated diesel is worth it in terms of economy and performance.

Thanks PM. This thread has been dormant for quite a while. I saw your comment in the current thread and just referred the OP to here - where I'd previously reported the same issue last year. Thumbs Up 
Click image to enlarge

Post #107063 5th Jul 2011 5:15 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Perhaps the answer is a good old shot of 2SO Wink 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #107064 5th Jul 2011 6:07 pm
Atrix

I have tried everything starting from 2sO from the purchase day, Ultimate Diesel, high-rev driving. That gave only temporary relief. Now I have got the only real solution to the recurring DPF-problems and engine going into limp mode.. The DPF has benn removed from my car and a electronic-box simulating the presence of DPF has been installed on my car. If this will be a lasting solution remains to be seen since I am not sure the box (similiar to a tuning-box) can outwit the ECU initiating 'milaege'- and cold-start-number regenerations. I am in the testing phase..

Greetings from berlin Wink

atrix

Post #107065 5th Jul 2011 6:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>