Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Engine Indicator (Orange) - Reduced Enginer Performance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
DervFan

England 

Software upgrade applied this morning at Lookers (Stortford). Excellent service from the team - in and out in less than 30 mins. Thumbs Up

alex_pescaru wrote:
Why don't you (the ones that have DPF problems) try to drive a turbo-diesel engine as a turbo-diesel engine is supposed to be driven? On boost, over 2000 RPM?
I bet that most of you are changing gears as soon as, or earlier, that engine RPM reach 2000. Right?
You talked about BMW cars... A BMW car it's a sport car and therefore the people who drive them drive in a sportier manner. Thus little problems with DPFs.
Below 2000 RPM the turbo isn't working as supposed to do (can't deliver the right pressure/air quantity) and the quantity of "black smoke" (unburnt fuel) is considerable. Therefore, a rapid build up of carbon inside DPF.
Don't drive it like a granny. Don't let the RPM fall below 2000 after a change up. Change gears when RPM goes over 2500. Even 3000. Be a little sportier.
Don't worry, the engines can handle it. And don't think about MPG.
What do you want? A DPF problem free car and a few MPG less or best MPG and weekly problems with DPF?

As I said - you are encouraged by the car to drive more economically (the dash indicator) tells you when to (optimially) change up.....

Obviously MPG is a consideration - afterall if I'd wanted a sportier car, I would have kept with the BMW and been red-lining all over the shop....

I will try changing my driving style over the next 1000 miles and see if this has any longer term benefit. Thumbs Up 
Click image to enlarge

MY2011 FL2 TD4 HSE | Stornoway Grey | Ebony Leather | Piano Black Trim | 18" Standard Wheels | Privacy Glass | Full Size Spare
MODS | Side Tubes | 19" Diamond's |

Post #81130 19th Nov 2010 12:05 pm
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

In my manual variant, I change up at or before 2000rpm. This minimises turbo use. The low end torque is more than adequate for normal motoring in that range. Down hills, never coast in neutral/clutch in. I believe that the engine uses near zero fuel under engine braking conditions - select a suitable gear to get some engine braking at low rpm.
Using these and other basic techniques gets me 40mpg+ pretty much all the time.

Not sure how this approach transfers to autos...

Post #81139 19th Nov 2010 12:23 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Thanks for the reply James. I should maybe have mentioned that my Freely's DPF was replaced just before the warranty ran out (today) and is now 3 years old and ca. 54000km. Therefore in my case not on a new vehicle as DervFan.

Alex, yes you do or may have a good point there Question Although grey and old (so I'm told Laughing ) I at least, don't drive like a granny on short or off-road excurtions, but otherwise ca. 90% driving is on longer distances. Unfortunately, you are quite correct about the 2000 rpm remark and often when cruising in 6th gear or even 5th gear, often around that. Interesting that is reported that auto's have less problems than manuals and that possibly autos rev more than "us granny's" and therefore be the source of the problem. However the LR self cleaning system should, I would have thought, be able to cope with the build up of carbon and do its job "when needed" regardless of how often it is necessary.

As mentioned above, our Freely has only this year had problems and the first two+ years were DPF problem free. I rather think that there has been a failure in our DPF system caused by something other than driving technique, and that is why I still (at least now) consider YF's earlier comments concerning oil type and DPF, as valuable Thumbs Up . 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #81167 19th Nov 2010 3:16 pm
swalker900

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Censored

SD4 HSE only 11 days old with 1150 miles has engine light and restricted power warnings!!!!!

Cold start this afternoon brought a splutter and restart required with warnings.
Censored

I drive mostly motorways at 2000 rpm minimum Whistle where legally allowed Whistle So one would assume the DPF was in good environment!

Post #81234 19th Nov 2010 10:12 pm
AndyC

swalker900 wrote:
Censored

SD4 HSE only 11 days old with 1150 miles has engine light and restricted power warnings!!!!!

Cold start this afternoon brought a splutter and restart required with warnings.
Censored

I drive mostly motorways at 2000 rpm minimum Whistle where legally allowed Whistle So one would assume the DPF was in good environment!

If it is the DPF: warm the car to normal running tempature then drive at a contstant speed above 30 mph for between 20 and 30 mins for example on a motorway. Stop the motor and wait for it to cool (about 10-15 mins or so) and restart. Hopefully the warning has gone and you will get normal running again Thumbs Up - This is the normal DPF cleaning function described in the handbook page 117 except the last bit about turning off the engine, which is from personal experiance and advice given to me.

If this dosnt work, its a visit to the dealer. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #81237 19th Nov 2010 10:32 pm
swalker900

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

AndyC - I tried that and no luck! The land rover assist guy is booked for tomorrow morning!

No doubt a trip to the dealer will follow.......

Hope this upgrade that came out on the 13th nov is a miracle cure Big Cry

Post #81239 19th Nov 2010 10:42 pm
AndyC

swalker900 wrote:
AndyC - I tried that and no luck! The land rover assist guy is booked for tomorrow morning!

No doubt a trip to the dealer will follow.......

Hope this upgrade that came out on the 13th nov is a miracle cure Big Cry

good luck - hope you get it easily fixed Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #81244 19th Nov 2010 11:07 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

[quote="AndyCIf it is the DPF: warm the car to normal running tempature then drive at a contstant speed above 30 mph for between 20 and 30 mins for example on a motorway. Stop the motor and wait for it to cool (about 10-15 mins or so) and restart. Hopefully the warning has gone and you will get normal running again Thumbs Up - This is the normal DPF cleaning function described in the handbook page 117 except the last bit about turning off the engine, which is from personal experiance and advice given to me.

If this dosnt work, its a visit to the dealer.[/quote]

This is where you wonder if Land Rover is having a larf. I live in South-East London. The action described above (and in the handbook) would require me to go for a completely pointless entire day out in the country, use gallons of diesel and waste a day of my time. The same though would probably apply if I lived on a farm in the mountains. How can this possibly be touted as an environmental measure? I cannot legally drive above 30mph anywhere within a half hour's drive of my house, let alone do it for 20-30 minutes!

Post #81251 20th Nov 2010 2:24 am
AndyC

Maybe it is LR having a laugh, but may also be the Censored EU with all their laws and regulations. There must be thousands that are in the same situation as Past master who own a vehicle with a DPF and live in an urban situation. The whole point is that we do not need DPF's at all but are forced to have them. However if the problem is just attributed to LR and they don't soon get a fix for the DPF system, my guess is there are going to be plenty of unhappy chappies out there Evil or Very Mad .

I'm fixed for the time being, but I wonder for how long Whistle . 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #81272 20th Nov 2010 11:52 am
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Get one of these Thumbs Up

Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #81275 20th Nov 2010 12:17 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

charrodine wrote:

No get an auto - doesn't seem to be a problem on the higher revving less environmentally freindly auto.
Maybe that's the point, the EU is really anti-green Very Happy Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #81306 20th Nov 2010 5:25 pm
dancer

Spanking SD4 Auto delivered end Oct. One week later 'Reduced Engine Power'and no other info to suggest why.
Interesting to think at this point 'what if I wanted to fix this myself?' Why do we buy cars that can only be sorted by plugging into a box that the owners don't have? If the cars clever enough to tell the owner the engines having a day off it should be clever enough to tell the owner why.
Rang dealer, took round and plugged into his clandestine box of rubbish. 'Good news Sir, DPF, we've had a technical service bulletin on this one, our technician has clicked the mouse and its all sorted'.
What the man at the front meant to say was 'the software engineer and the mechanical engineer didn't test their systems enough before selling a hatload to the public so we keep exprimenting with different software until the problem goes away'.
Gets in the car yesterday, 'Reduced Engine Power' So its got to go back again. Have a guess what I'm thinking...

Post #81327 20th Nov 2010 8:22 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

charrodine wrote:

Hmm. What are they like off-road? Seriously, I would consider it, but like most Londoners I'd need a few hundred metres of cable to link it from whatever spot I can find to park, up to my power point to charge it. And of course the local yobs would love that. And that's not to mention the neighbour who would "accidentally" trip over the cable and sue me. Rolling with laughter

Post #81330 20th Nov 2010 8:40 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Past master wrote:
charrodine wrote:

Hmm. What are they like off-road? Seriously, I would consider it, but like most Londoners I'd need a few hundred metres of cable to link it from whatever spot I can find to park, up to my power point to charge it. And of course the local yobs would love that. And that's not to mention the neighbour who would "accidentally" trip over the cable and sue me. Rolling with laughter

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Still needs a bit of thought then Embarassed Wink Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #81332 20th Nov 2010 8:47 pm
AndyC

dancer wrote:
. Have a guess what I'm thinking...

DPF = CRAP Question 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #81336 20th Nov 2010 9:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>