Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Engine Indicator (Orange) - Reduced Enginer Performance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

fightingtux wrote:
@athelstan
Most European Freelander 2 have DPF since somewhere in 2007.
UK Freelander 2 have DPF since my2011.

In the German board www.blacklandy.de you can read a lot about problems with the DPF. Sad
Seems like the manual gearbox versions have much more problems with DPF then the auto gearbox versions...

Regards,
Fighting Tux

Many thanks for that info Fightingtux Thumbs Up
In Norway DPF were fitted from July 2007 onwards. Unfortunatly I cant read German on that www.blacklandy.de site, but it would be very interesting to know what has been reported about the manual gearbox version DPF Freelanders.
However good Confused to know my guessing is not far from the truth about LR DPF's 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #81013 18th Nov 2010 10:51 am
stownrow

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Indus Silver

athelstan wrote:
fightingtux
That's very interesting - especially the reference to "manuals" - thanks.

yeah interestingly in my manual it talks about DPF even though I haven't got one! Cool

Post #81014 18th Nov 2010 10:57 am
Firestar

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

[quote="AndyC"]

fightingtux wrote:

In Norway DPF were fitted from July 2007 onwards. Unfortunatly I cant read German on that www.blacklandy.de site, but it would be very interesting to know what has been reported about the manual gearbox version DPF Freelanders.

Google will translate the webpages for you if you use Chrome as a browser. (Ok not 100% perfectly but enough to get the meaning)
Microsoft Translater works similarly in IE (right mouse click on some text to translate to begin with).
No doubt Firefox has an equivalent plug-in.

Post #81043 18th Nov 2010 4:33 pm
AndyC

[quote="Firestar"]

AndyC wrote:
fightingtux wrote:

Google will translate the webpages for you if you use Chrome as a browser. (Ok not 100% perfectly but enough to get the meaning)
Microsoft Translater works similarly in IE (right mouse click on some text to translate to begin with).
No doubt Firefox has an equivalent plug-in.

Thanks Embarassed should have thought of that as I use it at work almost every day (English - Norwegian) Embarassed 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #81049 18th Nov 2010 5:26 pm
fightingtux

Austria 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Santorini Black

As far as I read the thread (here is a direct link to it: http://www.blacklandy.de/blboard/forum/showthread.php?t=32539) nobody knows how to avoid DPF Problems, except of driving with high revs all the time. (below 1600rpm seems to be bad for the DPF)
And the auto gearbox version has much less problems, because it's most of the time at 1600rpm or above.

There are polls on the board too.
Approximately 40% of the members have auto gearbox, but only 20% of those who have problems with DPF have a auto gearbox.

Regards,
Fighting Tux

Post #81056 18th Nov 2010 6:21 pm
DervFan

England 

AndyC wrote:
Had a DPF on my BMW E91 325d - never had a problem 90K miles - not one warranty issue....

DervFan:
that was on a BMW, we are now talking LR language and you will have warranty issues Whistle

Thanks - although why should my expectations be lower? LR is marketed as a 'premium' brand, dealer network promotes such - I paid a 'premium' price - so I expect a 'premium' product. I'm not niaive and anticipate that there may be a few hiccups along the way. The difference is a 'premium' manufactor will be expected by their customers to apply the appropriate service differentiation and endeavours to retain customers. Afterall if I wanted to have trouble I would have bought a cheaper derivative and taken my chances.....

mojo wrote:
DervFan - Totally off this topic but keep your 18" standard wheels, they look way better than Triple Sports!

Hmmm - OK? Hear what you're saying - but after the few cars (posted) on here I quite like 'em. They are a reasonable price and I think 19" set the car off better - any other suggestions? Don't want to pay more than £800 budget?

fightingtux wrote:
As far as I read the thread (here is a direct link to it: http://www.blacklandy.de/blboard/forum/showthread.php?t=32539) nobody knows how to avoid DPF Problems, except of driving with high revs all the time. (below 1600rpm seems to be bad for the DPF)
And the auto gearbox version has much less problems, because it's most of the time at 1600rpm or above.

There are polls on the board too.
Approximately 40% of the members have auto gearbox, but only 20% of those who have problems with DPF have a auto gearbox.

Regards,
Fighting Tux

Useful info - ironic though because the Eco indicator on the dash encourages manual drivers (all gears across the box) to change up about 1200rpm - so this seems to encourage the behaviour you describe.
I certainly haven't been high-reving - so I wonder if this has contributed......? 
Click image to enlarge

MY2011 FL2 TD4 HSE | Stornoway Grey | Ebony Leather | Piano Black Trim | 18" Standard Wheels | Privacy Glass | Full Size Spare
MODS | Side Tubes | 19" Diamond's |

Post #81063 18th Nov 2010 7:20 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

As far as I can tell the DPF is simply a device to waste fuel and increase emissions. According to the handbook, if I had a DPF it would clog up on a regular basis (I hardly ever rev above 2000), and I would then need to find a motorway (nearest one is miles away) and blast down it at high revs to waste enough diesel to clear it. Can they be removed and is it legal to do so? Or would the ecu notice and start screaming?

Post #81064 18th Nov 2010 7:43 pm
fightingtux

ECU would notice!
There are sensors witch monitor the differential pressure before and after the DPF, witch triggers the cleaning process.
And the cleaning process is initiated every 800(?)km, too. (independent of the differential pressure)
During the cleaning process, fuel will be injected into the DPF to increase the temperature.

If you want to remove the DPF, you would need something that emulates the DPF an sensor behavior.

Or maybe it is possible to tell the software of the car, that you don't have a DPF? (do not know this)
But doubt Land Rover will do this, because of legal issues. (In Austria and Germany. in UK I don't know...)

Regards,
Fighting Tux

Post #81070 18th Nov 2010 8:24 pm
athelstan

Well the thrash up the French & Belgium motorways tomorrow (600kms) will clear the DPF and not be the most economic way to drive a TD4-e Manual. Note: I did not included the Swiss motorways in the forementioned - a thrash along them will loose my driving license, ban me for 3 to 6mths, significantly reduce the value of my pension portfolio, and worst of all her Ladyship will hit me for being cruel to her FL2.

Still I've got a Belgium beer appointment in Veurne at 20:00hrs - DPF or not!

Post #81071 18th Nov 2010 8:55 pm
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

(quote) Still I've got a Belgium beer appointment in Veurne at 20:00hrs - DPF or not.

If you don't make it, you're welcome in Ghent !
Wink
Good luck !

Post #81078 18th Nov 2010 9:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fightingtux

Quote:
Note: I did not included the Swiss motorways in the forementioned - a thrash along them will loose my driving license, ban me for 3 to 6mths, significantly reduce the value of my pension portfolio...

I heard about the diabolic punishment for speeding in Switzerland.
Every time I get caught by the police for speeding and get angry about the amount I have to pay for, I think about the fees in Switzerland for speeding and get relaxed again because I only pay such a small amount in Austria! Wink

Regards,
Fighting Tux

Post #81084 18th Nov 2010 9:59 pm
Lookers Park Royal

DervFan,

Just found the post Embarassed . Apologies that there has been an issue with the DPF (you have a PM). Matt will come back to you today re the other mods!

James Thumbs Up

Post #81109 19th Nov 2010 9:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndyC

Lookers Park Royal wrote:
DervFan,

Just found the post Embarassed . Apologies that there has been an issue with the DPF (you have a PM). Matt will come back to you today re the other mods!

James Thumbs Up

JAMES: The DPF problem should be an interesting one to all existing and potential Freelander2 owners, so some sort of explanation from a LR dealer forum member would be more than just a little interesting.

Is this a problem that only LR are having Question What is the cause and why is this information being kept under wraps Question

It seems dealers just quietly fix the problem when it arises, but I suspect the problem may be a result of the much commented on earlier forum thread, started by YamahaFan (particular oil type for DPF vehicles). My dealer has just replaced the whole DPF and sensor under warranty after several "DPF FULL - visit dealer" warnings. The same dealer has also (afterwards) changed the oil with a B4 type and not a C type for DPF (if I remember the correct type) as YF has recommended. It has also been discussed on here about the use of 2T-oil in the diesel, but I do not remember any recommendations or warnings from a dealer. Could you comment this James Question 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #81111 19th Nov 2010 10:19 am
Lookers Park Royal

I can't really comment as DervFan's 11my was the first customer car we have delivered and the issue was resolved by another dealer (but Lookers). The first I knew of it was this morning and to be fair DervFan has covered it pretty well in his OP.

We have delivered 3 since DervFan's and none have had an issue. There are no recall's etc, therefore I can only assume that this is a normal 'fix on fault' situation. Our demo has been fine which was on the road a few weeks before DervFan's, plus we have registered two more as demo's which are also fine. This means that we have put 7 11my DPF equipped vehicles on the road and 1 has has shown a fault (DervFan's), which sounds like a software issue?

I will keep my ear to the ground and let you know if anything comes out of LR, but other than that DervFan is more of an expert on the topic than I am currently. Sorry I can't add any meat on the bone. Embarassed

James Thumbs Up

Post #81113 19th Nov 2010 10:28 am
alex_pescaru

Why don't you (the ones that have DPF problems) try to drive a turbo-diesel engine as a turbo-diesel engine is supposed to be driven? On boost, over 2000 RPM?
I bet that most of you are changing gears as soon as, or earlier, that engine RPM reach 2000. Right?
You talked about BMW cars... A BMW car it's a sport car and therefore the people who drive them drive in a sportier manner. Thus little problems with DPFs.
Below 2000 RPM the turbo isn't working as supposed to do (can't deliver the right pressure/air quantity) and the quantity of "black smoke" (unburnt fuel) is considerable. Therefore, a rapid build up of carbon inside DPF.
Don't drive it like a granny. Don't let the RPM fall below 2000 after a change up. Change gears when RPM goes over 2500. Even 3000. Be a little sportier.
Don't worry, the engines can handle it. And don't think about MPG.
What do you want? A DPF problem free car and a few MPG less or best MPG and weekly problems with DPF?

Post #81117 19th Nov 2010 11:03 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>