« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Aircon packed in!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black
Aircon packed in!

Can't get the aircon to work. There is no difference between econ and no LEDS even with the temp turned down to the blue. I should have frostbite by now. Is this a trip to the stealers?
Or the freezer?

Post #67521 29th Apr 2010 11:17 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

no LEDS on the fan speed?

if so that means its off completely, needs LEDS on fan speed to have the AC working

ECON is just standard un-AC'ed air Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #67522 29th Apr 2010 11:36 pm
Pegleg

Sorry, should have explained. No LED on the toggle ECON/Off switch with the blower set to auto. Blows my head off but no cold air. Can't hear the mag clutch pulling in or compressor either.
Great car though, i love it, superb drive, i smile all the time!!!

Post #67523 29th Apr 2010 11:56 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Yep sounds like a dealer trip then Sad Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #67530 30th Apr 2010 7:14 am
Pegleg

Took the car to my local dealer. They are scratching their heads as there is no communication between the HVAC head unit and the central controller. I assume that's on CAN. That's why the compressor mag clutch won't pull in.
Hope they solve it soon!

Post #67838 5th May 2010 11:08 pm
alex_pescaru

Take care because the compressor magnetic clutch is actuated by the engine ECU, not the HVAC ECU, nor the central controller (if by this you mean the Central Junction Box ECU).
So the engine ECU is the one who, based on what HVAC says/wants, turns on/off the compressor but also taking into consideration the engine coolant temperature, the exterior temperature and the refrigerant pressure in the air conditioning circuit. If one of these are out of specs, the compressor isn't turned on.

Post #67899 6th May 2010 8:06 pm
Pegleg

Sorry Alex, yes the engine management ecu. At times like this i wish it was just hard wired rather than on CAN!!
The dealer still can't solve the problem and have never seen this before. If they can't solve it by the begining of next week, i will reject the car. I must however, give them time to sort it.
I'm used to this sort of thing, i was in vehicle elecrical design for years!!!

Post #67914 6th May 2010 9:07 pm
Udash

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

One thing that I found when reading about the AC was that petrol and diesel have different types of compressors. On petrol CAN bus can control the amount of displacement of the compressor by controlling the solenoid valve electronically (PWM), but on diesel its old style on-off only operation. Not sure why they put a better one on petrol and not on diesel as that could reduce fuel consumption. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #67958 7th May 2010 12:39 pm
alex_pescaru

Udash wrote:
Not sure why they put a better one on petrol and not on diesel as that could reduce fuel consumption.

Because of the greater torque of the diesel engine over a large RPM range.
On diesels you wont notice that "power/torque steal" of a sudden compressor activation.
On petrols, mostly on idle (tickover) RPM zone, where petrol lacks torque, that "power steal" is noticeable and not desired for example on off-road situations when you slowly tackle over obstacles.
Many manufacturers use this approach for HVAC on petrols over diesel.

Post #67970 7th May 2010 2:44 pm
Udash

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

That makes sense, I have seen some people driving low powered vehicles turning off the AC before trying to take off another vehicle as AC load is quite considerable.
Atleast with i6 that will happen automatically managed by ECUs Thumbs Up Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #68044 8th May 2010 9:52 am
Pegleg

Got my FL2 back from the dealer last night with the aircon up and running. Washed and vac too! Just need a long hot summer now!
Thanks to Shukers of Shrewsbury who fixed it. They were courteous too. Highly recommended.

Post #68225 11th May 2010 12:28 pm
alex_pescaru

Let me share some experiences of mine with the aircon.
In the last few weeks I've observed something strange.
When in motion the aircon worked as supposed to be.
But when stationary or at very low speeds, the AC compressor seemed to disconnects itself quite a lot and after several minutes it wont engage anymore. I believe you understand what that means: no cooling.
First I've thought that this is the way it supposed to work. Idle speeds, partial compressor operation to not load the engine to much. This idea was reinforced by the fact that on my friend's Patrol the compressor was behaving the same way.
Until today when I've thought that the matter needs further investigations as it seemed somehow way too strange, because, when stationary, now there was no cooling at all and the discharge pipe from compressor seemed way to hot to be normal.
First thing I've saw that the cooling fans were not working at all when the AC was switched on. On most other cars, I've saw that when AC is turned on, the fans are starting to work, at least at low speeds. Here, on my LR2, not even a slight movement.
So I've disconnected the cooling module from its three connectors and I've looked closely at them. All seemed OK. Still the PWM signal pin somehow looked loose so I've tensioned it a little.
Guess what: after I've put the connectors back in place and I've started the engine and turned the AC on, the fans started to spin, as they supposed to do, on low speed. When the ECON was pressed, the fans stopped. Pressing AUTO they started to spin again.
Not to mention that now the discharge pipe from compressor is warm but not as hot as it was before. Imagine that in the first place, putting a few drops of water on it, they were evaporating in a matter of seconds!!
So conclusion was simple: because of the lack of the cooling efect of the fans, when the compressor was working, the temperature of the refrigerant, after compressor and after the condenser was way to high and this was leading to a too much high pressure in the system.
The ECU sensing that higher pressure through the high pressure sensor, progresivelly turned off the compressor, until no functioning at all, in order to lower the pressure in the circuit.
Somehow the situation was improved a little when in motion because of the cooling efect of the motion wind. But as soon as the car stopped the pressure was rising again, ECU cutting the compressor again and slowly no cooling at all.
All this because of a faulty electrical connection...
Now all is back and I can enjoy again of a "cool" car. Smile Not only in motion, but when stationary too.
Maybe this was the case of Pegleg's faulty aircon too...

Last edited by alex_pescaru on 13th May 2010 7:10 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #68364 12th May 2010 7:56 pm
Pegleg

To begin with, i had no gas in the system so the pressure switch would prevent the ecu from energisimg the mag cluth solenoid. When the system was regassed, the compressor still wouldn't run.
Dunno how they fixed it.
Anyway, well done to Alex for fixing his, not at all easy to find a fault like that.

Post #68370 12th May 2010 9:00 pm
LRCRAZY321

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

hi
has i have mentioned in my first post ours packed up and was fixed by the dealer but i did notice on the car borrowed to us that there was a separate a/c switch .
now maybe its me but could this mean there is a problem with the climate system that we dont know about?,i have spoken to two people that have had problems so................

Post #69118 24th May 2010 8:30 pm
Pegleg

Ay up LRCrazy

Sorry you had prob with your aircon. Mine was sold to me without it working!! You've got to give the dealer time to sort it, if you're not happy, find another dealer. Remember that FL2 is still new, lots of parts aint L/R's including the whole whole powertrain.
Most owners have had no probs with aircon so i asume you and i were the exception rather than the rule. It happens mate, even to Bentley owners. Mine was off the road for three days, but my word i was glad to get it back.
Cos it's a great motor!!!

Post #69143 25th May 2010 12:17 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1