Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > oil leak at 8000mls !!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey
oil leak at 8000mls !!

unfortunately I have an oil leak which revealed itself leaving spots at various places on my nice new monoblock driveway. ( something else I'll need to deal with, ideas appreciated )

I'm very disappointed at just turned 8000mls and 10 months old !! and I really was enjoying the car.

on investigation it seems to be coming from the top of the engine at the rear on the driver's side and making it's way down and gathering in crevices, etc to drip out of the bash plate underneath.

there is a tube/pipe going into a unit at this location at the top of the engine and this is where it seems to be leaking.

I'll need to call the dealer tomorrow and book it in !!

anyone any thoughts on this problem ?

Iain

Post #69027 23rd May 2010 9:57 am
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

It's likely to be a seal or gasket that's failed or perhaps a cover or part not tightened to specification. You should stress the urgency to the dealer when booking it in, stating that you are not happy driving it for fear of causing further issues. That way, you might get it looked at quicker or get a courtesy car in the meantime.

As for the stains on your drive - if they're small patches, try make a thick paste of washing detergent powder and a little water, and trowel it into the stain, leaving it at least overnight before hosing it off. This should dissolve the oil - you may need to 'rinse and repeat'!
There are commercial acid based products available but your not likely to have that under the kitchen sink.

Post #69034 23rd May 2010 10:38 am
tonyjones1968

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Narvik Black

Mine was in that spot too,had my intake hose to turbo replaced twice now!! found leak on services,not bad enough to drip though,but hose joint to steering rack proper Censored out when it went,you will get used to oil leaks most landys do!!!!! found that liquid laundry detergent works best on oil stains on the drive,if left to soak in, best one is lquid daz!!

all the best Tone
Thumbs Up

Post #69044 23rd May 2010 3:15 pm
iain cooper

thanks for your replies and tips on cleaning my monoblock driveway.

I'll keep you updated on diagnosis, etc but must say I'm really disappointed and feel that it may ruin my love of the car...................hope not.

I can partly accept that 10 to 15 years ago it was expected that Landys would drip oil, but those days should be long gone.

my 24 year old Golf GTI also sits on my driveway, and not an oil stain to be seen !!

just one of the reasons that I've kept her so long.

Iain

Post #69057 23rd May 2010 9:33 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

iain cooper wrote:

my 24 year old Golf GTI also sits on my driveway, and not an oil stain to be seen !!

Iain

Thumbs Up red? for sale? Whistle At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #69058 23rd May 2010 9:37 pm
iain cooper

yes CG tornado red, three door, just over 80,000 mls, not up for sale at the moment, but I will let you know !!

this is a car which although not the fastest on the road, is a whole package in terms of handling/gearing/performance/and driver feedback and always brings a smile to my face.

Iain

Post #69061 23rd May 2010 9:55 pm
Udash

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Based on where you think the oil is coming from it looks like its same as mine, I noticed bit of oil leak before 6 months and got the dealer to fix it so luckily didn’t get spills on the garage floor. Oil leak was from the crank case ventilation hose and where it connects to the cylinder head cover. Actual hose is rubber but it seems to be having a sharp bend and it’s fixed with a crimp type hose clip. (red circle area)

Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #69078 24th May 2010 12:42 pm
iain cooper

thanks very much Udash for the diagram, and yes I think it is from this area mine is leaking.

the oil is running from this area down the back of the engine onto the bash plate and eventually dripping onto my driveway.

I had a word with the dealer today and they cannot give me a courtesy car for about three weeks !!

how long did they take to diagnose/fix it ? and what did they do to fix it ? and were you happy with the result ?

Iain

Post #69080 24th May 2010 1:44 pm
Udash

I identified the leak and also showed them the diagram above, they only spent around 30 min, have not fitted a new hose, they have just tighten the hose clip a little bit. I can still see slight oiliness but no leaks. Also they didn’t clean the leaked oil as I expected so I ended up wiping off and cleaning up. Poor service. If I get a leak again will insist on a new hose. Like you they said that I have to wait few weeks to get a replacement car.

Cleaning and even identifying the oil leak is easy if you take the engine cover off but its not very easy taking the cover off as engine cover and air intake pipe comes off together. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #69082 24th May 2010 2:11 pm
iain cooper

thanks Udash, I managed to get my engine cover off ok ( there's a small nut you can undo and it separates the cover from the air intake ) and am pretty sure it's the same problem as you had.

I'll have a think about whether to wait for the courtesy car, or take it in and wait for it to be fixed.

if it was just a case of tightening the clamp, I could do it myself !!

Iain

Post #69095 24th May 2010 5:04 pm
Udash

I think the clamp used don’t work well, maybe solution would be to replace it with a standard screw type clamp. Also what I noticed is that there are lots of small crevices around this place and oil pools in them cleaning very difficult. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #69150 25th May 2010 8:27 am
iain cooper

I wonder if there is a workshop instruction for this repair ?

perhaps the sponsor could throw some light on it ?

Iain

Post #69180 25th May 2010 2:08 pm
phillm03

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Martinique Blue

Just got mine back after its first service and they said they had carried out a warranty repair on a small oil pipe that was leaking slightly - not enough for me to have noticed but they said they had cleaned away the oil from the pan - so this might b a common issue.

Guy Salmon/Styners - Crawley - good first experience of their after sales approach, I was even greated by name at the door by the service manager even though I had never met him before 2009 XS Manual in Martinique Blue with XS Style Pack, Privacy Glass, 19" Alloys, Private Plates, Wood Company centre armrest, stainless steel sill protectors.

Post #69184 25th May 2010 3:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1