Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Rattles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
kenny

United Kingdom 2008 LR2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Just to resurrect this subject again, I have a really annoying light 'clunk' when driving over an uneven road, speedbump or pothole. It's coming from the loadspace / rear and I initially thought it was the jack which was loose under the spare wheel.

After tearing out the loadspace guts and eliminating any obvious suspects (jack/cargo cover/dog gaurd etc) I am convinced it is the rear tailgate door possibly loose on the lock - although I cant physically replicate the 'clunk' when pushing on the closed door?

Any ideas before I pop it in to the dealer?

Post #60160 18th Feb 2010 7:07 pm
kenny

Quote:
another common source of knock is the lack of attention to the stops on the rear tailgate....if they are not wound out far enough the tailgate knocks/rattles on its latch...technique is to just have them contacting body panel prior to latch engaging, i.e. tailgate just under tension when latched, this is a major source of knocks on all cars, just carleless build.

Just found this which sounds about right - being that I wound them in after cleaning the car cos I thought they were loose Rolling with laughter

Post #60165 18th Feb 2010 7:37 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Yes I think that's it just like mine. If you got hold of the large number plate light housing and pushed and pulled quite quickly and hard you could replicate the rattle - They took the plastic panel off where the tailgate catches on the boot floor and wound the catch further into the floor, instant peace and quiet Thumbs Up

Post #60168 18th Feb 2010 8:00 pm
FR2471

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

I find the most annoying rattle comes from the passenger seat, especially when the wife is sitting in it Yawn

Only other odd ratttle I get is from the sun roof blind central roof area, never bothered looking for it Rolling Eyes

Post #60172 18th Feb 2010 8:08 pm
The Doc

United Kingdom 

Ours does not rattle

Post #60173 18th Feb 2010 8:08 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

No rattles or squeaks on mine, except occasionally the odd bit of ice lodged somewhere Laughing which thankfully will melt as soon as spring arrives.................

...........one day maybe Rolling Eyes 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #60183 18th Feb 2010 9:11 pm
Dunk

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Nazca Sand

Mine is thankfully very quiet all round, I am a bit anal with squeeks/rattles/buzzing/creaks etc too, they drive me absolutely up the wall! Shocked

My '06 BMW E91 I had previously was just terrible, especially in the colder months, and was one of the reasons I wasn't sad to see it go. I had a creak from the passenger door/roof area and it just couldn't be fixed...BMW tried twice, I tried on nearly every outing as I got so obsessed with it!, padding, gummi phledge, silicone, WD40, sound deadening tape, bits of rubber etc, etc, etc...............................etc! someone told me it could of been a bad weld on the door pillar to roof and I would of got BMW to investigate further had I of kept it I guess.

The Freelander, apart from the droppy seat problem, has been utterly lovely Thumbs Up , if yours rattles I feel sorry for you as it can ruin the ride.

Post #60214 19th Feb 2010 2:07 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

shilen had a noise trouble, it was the rear passenger door I think, something internal At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #60220 19th Feb 2010 8:58 am
kenny

Quote:
Just to resurrect this subject again, I have a really annoying light 'clunk' when driving over an uneven road, speedbump or pothole. It's coming from the loadspace / rear and I initially thought it was the jack which was loose under the spare wheel.

After tearing out the loadspace guts and eliminating any obvious suspects (jack/cargo cover/dog gaurd etc) I am convinced it is the rear tailgate door possibly loose on the lock - although I cant physically replicate the 'clunk' when pushing on the closed doo

Now sorted - five minute job - combination of readjusting the lower catch (remove trim, loosen two torx screws, push back latch housing a few mm then retighten - pulls the tailgate tighter into the frame) and adjusting the tailgate rubbers to the optimum length to 'pad' any remaining free play. Thumbs Up

Post #60515 20th Feb 2010 12:43 am
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

I've had my share of little squeaks and rattles - mostly interior (except for a loosened nut on the rear suspension last year). In the current temperatures the cabin noises tend to increase due to plastic and rubber trims hardening and ice forming here and there - particularly around the sunroof. When ice forms around my sunroof I get all sorts of creaky noises - but I am a picky Censored .

Post #60529 20th Feb 2010 10:26 am
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

AndyT wrote:
...... When ice forms around my sunroof I get all sorts of creaky noises ..... Censored .

Mine too, it had me worried for a while Shocked

Post #60543 20th Feb 2010 11:01 am
The Doc

United Kingdom 

+1

Post #60545 20th Feb 2010 11:26 am
Rowy

I heard a squeak and then a rattle was thrown, think it was on tuesday Whistle

Post #60555 20th Feb 2010 11:49 am
Marvo

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

avtur wrote:
Sadly, it seems that rattles are the order of the day!

Strangely enough I think I've just identified one rattle this afternoon, it seems to be coming from the body of the luggage cover (which house the roller and spring return mechanism) - probably more than half the battle is identifying the source/cause of the rattle, so this might be one I can now cure.

I've got that one too. Also been driving me crazy (I'm also a 'latter' person). I've asked for it to be looked at when the car is in for it's new roof rails tomorrow.

Post #60564 20th Feb 2010 1:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12