« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Rattles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
radney1303

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
Rattles

Does anyone else have problems with interior rattles? I have a rattle in both of my front doors which is really annoying!
I thought all rattles went out with FL1 !

Post #5926 1st Sep 2007 1:17 pm
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I thought so too radney1303, but I was very dissapointed when I found out that they were not Big Cry Big Cry

Post #5933 1st Sep 2007 6:24 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Sadly, it seems that rattles are the order of the day!

I have a few, they drive me insane. I've lost track of the number of times I've stopped on a journey to open and close a door, or thump a piece of trim in the vain hope that it will stop the rattle. I've got a couple that come and go at different temperatures which I presume is down the expansion (or contraction) of the many plastic components.

Strangely enough I think I've just identified one rattle this afternoon, it seems to be coming from the body of the luggage cover (which house the roller and spring return mechanism) - probably more than half the battle is identifying the source/cause of the rattle, so this might be one I can now cure.

Has anyone tried the special audio CD that has been produced to help identify rattles in car interiors? It is a sample of a number of different tones chosen specifically because they can mimic road noise and vibration. You play it through the car audio which means that while its playing you can move around the car and listen closely for the source of the rattle. It costs £10 and there are some pretty good testimonials to how useful it is. I think that'll be my next step.

Post #5934 1st Sep 2007 6:31 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Consistent at least ....

Some people can live with the odd rattle or three; others can't. I'm one of the latter type, rattles drive me around the bend. My wife would tell you that over the 25+ years we've known each other the number of times I've stopped on a car journey to investigate 'a noise or a rattle' is at least in the hundreds if not more. Given that the LR2 is a quality motor I hoped that 'rattles' would be a thing of the past, although having traveled many miles in FL1's I guess I knew I was kidding myself.

MyFL2 has some rattles, though I'm slowly getting to grips with the causes. This week I've had the 'pleasure' of driving 3 different FL2's. My own a TD4 GS, the dealer loan car a TD4 SE and the LRE TD4 HSE Auto. Well top marks to Land Rover for consistency, they ALL rattle. Of the three cars I have to admit mine has the least number of rattles (so I should be glad).

The dealer loan car had some terrible noises coming from the seat mechanisms, as well as rattles from the front n/s door and glove box area. The LRE car had rattles in both 'B' posts, same as my car and something in the drivers door.

The guys at LRE get to talk to a lot of owners, rattles and interior quality are often mentioned by current owners. Although the single biggest moan they hear is about dealer quality and responsiveness.

Come on Land Rover get you corporate act together, you really are trading on your name and NOT the real quality of your vehicles and dealers ....

Post #5978 2nd Sep 2007 7:40 pm
radney1303

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Could not agree with you more Avtur, I expected much better from a "premium" vehicle, my brothers Astra has no rattles whatsoever, so if Vauxhall can do it so can Land Rover!!

Post #6113 4th Sep 2007 9:39 am
QUERCUS

2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

i presume it is much up to the individual car. my previous audi A3 started rattling right after i left the dealer. the previous 3-series BMW lasted some six months without rattles, but was terribly noisy when i traded it in for the freelander.

ah, and the BMW lost a coil spring while driving once. really scary... 2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6
stornoway grey
black leather

Post #6120 4th Sep 2007 11:01 am
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

QUERCUS wrote:
i presume it is much up to the individual car. my previous audi A3 started rattling right after i left the dealer. the previous 3-series BMW lasted some six months without rattles, but was terribly noisy when i traded it in for the freelander.

ah, and the BMW lost a coil spring while driving once. really scary...

My A3 has only a few rattles, and similar to you my 3-Series snapped a coil spring on the rear.....which was a good excuse to get some AC Schnitzer bits in there instead Twisted Evil

Last edited by Gambba on 4th Sep 2007 4:40 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #6134 4th Sep 2007 2:03 pm
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Oh my God! And some say that German cars are reliable! At least our Freelanders do their tricks before you get on the road - they simply don't start. Could that be a secret safety feature from LR? Rolling with laughter

Post #6147 4th Sep 2007 4:04 pm
Yohan

Belgium 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
Re: Rattles

radney1303 wrote:
Does anyone else have problems with interior rattles? I have a rattle in both of my front doors which is really annoying!
I thought all rattles went out with FL1 !

I also have a rattle / vibration in or near the drivers door and a less audible rattle in the passengers door.

The one in the drivers door is really annoying. As if the window is vibrating. I happens mostly on uneven roads, especially on cobblestones of course. It seems to go away almost completely when I open the window.

Did you ever find a fix for these rattles / vibrations?

Post #45907 29th Jul 2009 12:51 pm
hon3009

United Kingdom 

I have the same rattle in the front passenger door, over uneven roads if i drop the window just a few mm's it stops.

cars going to guy salmon wakefield for a new interior fan motor as soon as they let me know the parts arrived, so may ask them to have a look.

Post #45923 29th Jul 2009 7:23 pm
Dougden

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Same window rattle with mine too. But not serious enough to annoy.

Did you know that a certain Kwik Fit branch in London has a new policy of "Yer puncture is £17.50 mate with a bill. or a tenner wivout?" Shocked

Wonder if it will catch on Laughing

I of course asked for a receipt.............. Twisted Evil FL2 TD4 XS Santorini

Post #45955 30th Jul 2009 1:23 pm
jbvox

Belgium 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Zermatt Silver

Help, I have no suspicious noises (and I drive on Belgium roads).

I'am glad that I can say that, even after 11 months and + 40.000 km, my FL2 makes only the noises that you can expect. A little bit of engine noise and some noise from the wheels, and that's it. Razz

My previous FL1 was the same, a bit (lot) more regular noises, but the ones you can expect...

lucky me. Fl2 zermattsilver TD4 S man

Post #45959 30th Jul 2009 2:33 pm
ham888

United Kingdom 

Have to say my FL2 is rattle free - absolutely silent. Its the only car I've ever owned that has been so free of any squeek or rattle or noise regardless of road surface, this includes supposed more premium german brands.

Only have 1 month left with the FL2 before it goes and is swapped for a 'premium german' brand - I shall miss it.

Post #46150 4th Aug 2009 6:22 am
GrinningLander

England 

Not a squeek or rattle anywhere on my FL2 Thumbs Up

Post #46237 5th Aug 2009 9:35 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

only rattle I've noticed on mine is from the seatbelt anchor over my right shoulder.....a quick slap and all was quite again Laughing ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #46252 6th Aug 2009 1:25 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>