Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Thinking of a Freelander 2 - a few questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
phil_wkl

Australia 

I've never reset my trip since new (13000 miles now), average shows just over 30mpg. I calculated using fill-up to fill-up and its only slightly out but I mostly do town runs. Phil

Post #57918 3rd Feb 2010 12:20 am
Carnoch

Maybe just the conditions or the way you are driving. That said, I do think each car is 'individual' dont know if it's the way the carbs have been set up or idle speed or even tyre pressure. There are also other factors like roof racks, driving with the windows down, braking, then accelerating, load etc. etc. then there is road conditions, tarmac type opposed to wheel resistance, any corners, gradiants, the list goes on. weather conditions........

You might squeeze another 1 mpg if you make sure all passengers have been to the toilet, turn the heater off. Tell people to wear woolies and gloves.
Very Happy

Post #57922 3rd Feb 2010 12:31 am
Rowy

Carbs?
Carburetor?

Have you lifted the bonnet Si?? It's not a Mini 1275 GT ya Know Laughing

Post #57931 3rd Feb 2010 1:13 am
Carnoch

God, that just shows you what I know. You mean it hasn't got one? Has it got a fuel tank? I remember in the olden days.......

I could of course say I was talking generally, but not wanting to dig a bigger hole for myself.

I am away to bed. I'd been having a wonderful evening playing the boys Modern Warfare 2 on the PS3 and online I hasten to add, I took his shot to kill ratio down from 20% to under 10% don't know that he will notice, if he does he will throw a strop and then his mother will shout at him. If I keep my head low I could escape the flack.

I love this time of night, I can do what I want - quietly! Mr. Green

Post #57939 3rd Feb 2010 1:55 am
phil_wkl

Australia 

It's definitely town driving as I rarely drive more than 5 miles a trip...only venture into London occasionally.
and I'm a slim build, 62kg driver...imagine if I was of more substantial build Laughing Phil

Post #57958 3rd Feb 2010 11:12 am
G4LAND

Mexico 2013 LR2 2.0T HSE Lux Auto Havana

Thumbs Up go for that FL2 is a lovely car. I live in Spain almost all year and I miss my FL2 (LR2) in Mexico; but fortunately, I have my Bow down D3 here to play a bit ... Mr. Green Yuri
(ARS) XE1UN, EA1HCZ

13 LR2 (FL2) HSE Lux SI4
Havana/Black
(Mexico)

08 LR2 (FL2) SE
Tambora/Black
(Mexico GONE)

05 DISCOVERY 3 G4 V8
Tangiers Orange/Black
(Spain)

13 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE SDV6
Orkney Grey / Ebony (Black)
(Spain)

07 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE TDV8
Java Black/Black
(Spain GONE)

02 DEFENDER 90 BLACK LE TD5
(Spain GONE)

09 VOLVO XC70 OCEAN RACE EDITION D5
Ocean Race Blue
(Spain)

Post #57959 3rd Feb 2010 11:58 am
StuDisco3

Quote:
Hey, don't slag off the Disco. The EPB is fine. Very handy, never screwed up, but thats is on a 2009 model, dont know if the earlier versions were a waste of time. The low ratio, i have yet to use. The air suspension is dandy, but pointless. Means you can swap to Xenons without getting the headlights reset. Don't forget the Rock Crawl on the TR. That said, the TR is a waste of time too, unless Miss Daisy is driving it. It's a security blanket for nervous drivers.

Go onto the D3 forum and tell the guys on there that the EPB is fine. Most people have had EPB issues. That said it doesn't sound as though you go off road (never used low ratio, air suspension is pointless, TR is a waste of time)

I'm not slagging of the Disco, I love my D3 with a passion and think it's awesome, but it does have a couple of issues and the EPB is one of them. If you never go off road then I can understand why you would think that TR is useless, and Air suspension is pointless, but if you do go off road then I think you might appreciate the extra capability they give you. If you do go off road then you might also like to try out your low range, you'll see it makes a big difference.

Anyway guys, thanks for all the feedback, sounds like I need to be careful about getting one that does decent MPG as some seem to be more thirsty than others - obviously it's always difficult to get a real comparison.

Post #57987 3rd Feb 2010 4:12 pm
Carnoch

You are right, I don't go native with the Disco. Well my Disco anyway, I've used others and a Defender when on a proper driving course in a quarry and yes it is amazing what they will do. I have vivid memories of driving thro' a deep ice covered hole for want of a better word and the wing got ripped off. I wouldn't treat my car that way. I understand some do and good luck to them, although why they just don't buy a tractor is beyond me. Hence, I don't need low ration, TC, Air Suspension etc as I suspect most on here, if the truth be told don't. My arguement is if you immerse anything in mud and water, you can't expect it to work properly.

Post #58108 4th Feb 2010 6:33 pm
StuDisco3

Quote:
My arguement is if you immerse anything in mud and water, you can't expect it to work properly

My argument is that I bought a Land Rover that is meant to be able to cope with Mud and Water (whether you choose to or not) and therefore the EPB is not fit for purpose. You might as well say that it would be fine to only have 3 inches of clearance so that you can get over speed bumps, but nothing more. I bought a discovery 3 and I intend to use it as it is advertised. It has a wading depth of 70cm and as far as I'm concerned it should be able to cope with that, without the need to go to the dealers to get the EPB adjusted.

Anyway I don't want to start a fight Very Happy. I'm pleased to see that the FL2 has a sensible brake!

Post #58109 4th Feb 2010 6:46 pm
Carnoch

No fight and I am not looking for one. If it's advertised as being able to cope with that, you have an expectation, that goes without saying, but maybe it's being a bit naive. We don't all believe what the adverts say or we'd be buying x,y and z. I mean I've seen a LR ad from a couple of years ago, driving thro' the sea. It should be able to do it, but a bit of common says if I do that a lot of metal things will seize up unless I spend a full hour in the jet wash. I can't say I purchased the Disco because of any adverts, I didn't see any, nor a test drive, I didn't take one, nor did I read any mags, papers or reviews or anything else. I just didn't want a Peoples Carrier, but wanted the size for the kids. The wife had a FL2 and liked it, so I popped into the Dealership and got one. It's okay, but just a machine to get you from A to B, nothing more. I ain't in love with it. My point is a lot of people have LR's, but in honesty 90% don't need a lot of the stuff like TC, Air Suspension etc that goes with them.

Post #58123 4th Feb 2010 7:36 pm
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Stu? Shocked Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #58165 4th Feb 2010 11:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12